Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to purchase new vehicle?

Options
  • 11-10-2023 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭

Thinking of changing my vehicle for my business, it will cost me around 25,000 euro.

I could keep my current vehicle until 2026 but there is a lot of mileage on it, it is used every day.

So I have the 25,000 but Id rather not spend it on a car and spend it on a house to purchase.

would a bank lend you the money to buy it, if you have it yourself?

when I started my business I purchased the vehicle with my own money, no loans, my old accountant said that wasnt a good idea and I should have got a bank loan to buy it?

its a taxi by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

To get the finance for the car, you might have to use some of your own money to get a reasonable % APR. I’m not an accountant but I suspect a HP agreement as opposed to a PCP deal would be better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭pgj2015

For 5 years it would be €134 weekly with HP.

might be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 9 krishantha

I'm checking whether PCP or HP is a good option to buy a new EV car.

As per my understanding, if you can save the final payment separately to purchase the car at the end of 37 months (because if the GMFV is less than the market selling value), then it's better to go with PCP. Nowadays, you can find very cheap APR (1.9%) for new EV cars. Any ideas, guys? Let's check the example below.

Let's say, at the end of the period, you receive a GMFV from the dealer, which is €23,000, and then your equity will be €5,885. However, if you pay the final amount and own the car, you can sell it in the market for €30,000, resulting in a profit of €12,885. You can then use this profit for your next PCP. To do this, you need separate savings for the final payment. I believe this would be a good idea if you have enough money. Otherwise, you might find yourself trapped in a car dealer's PCP scheme. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 krishantha

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

Is the new car going to be used as a taxi? PCP has mileage restrictions & you have to pay a surplus per km you go over. So if it is going to be used as a taxi you may not be able to use PCP. Or at least you won't be able to hand the car back without a substantial extra payment for exceeding the allowance.

Yeah used as a taxi.

I know that, pcp wouldn't be suitable for me.

Advertisement