Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rammstein RDS Arena 23rd June 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mindhorn

Great to see them again but the 2012 show was much more enjoyable by virtue of the fact that it was indoors (daylight didn't help the pyrotechnics/lights), there were fewer smartphones about and vaping wasn't a thing back then.

The constant recording/live streaming throughout would seriously put me off going again. Or would make me consider going for a stand ticket instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kolkio

I didn't go yesterday but all the photos and footage makes it look like the exact same show I saw in 2019. Just wondering if they played anything off "Zeit"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They played Zeit and finished with Adieu. It was more or less the same show as 2019 though. I saw them in Paris that year in a rugby stadium with the roof closed, last night was no comparison to that unfortunately. The show just isn't the same when it's bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

They need screens. Bam it's out there. I was about half ways up and still couldn't see a thing.

I seen them in Milton Keynes a few years back. Unbelievable. Last nights gig was no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

You've been on 20+ dates together and you're both decades older.

It's expected, mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

like eating the same meal constantly and complaining it’s overly familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭COH

Like raaaaaaaaain on your weddiiiiiing daaaaaay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Fair fu*king play to them. That show in itself must cost a fortune to put on, add in the transport across the sea also.

Atmosphere wasn't great but I throw that down to people not speaking German and honestly bring in awe. Simple things like the flags falling down at the start caught me by suprise. It's a tremendous show.

Thought they sounded great too. From second the first snare hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Zardoz

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There was the central one that lifts up and down, and one on each side. The side ones were heavily angled towards the two stands, and essentially invisible to the standing area. Plus the screens were monochrome, and mostly showed the band logo for the most part. So there were screens, they were useless to see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I don’t think we’ll be waiting 12 years for them to return anyhow.
    Would guess that they and the promoters would see yesterday as a roaring success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just had a look at a few videos, screens useless as you said.

Big video screens are obligatory at any outdoor shows in this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Worth going to, but indeed too tame to be called a metal concert.

Though perhaps it fit the crowd. I was at the front, hardly a few metal heads to put together , most people came in dressed like they're up for summer picnic, spent the entire gig on tik tok, vaping, no lyrics no interaction no cheering just a boring poor dry ass crowd. You're going to a metal gig and acting like your grandmother is watching. Wtf. Dublin did Rammstein dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Was at the same gig and absolutely agree. Biggest issue was the lack of darkness for me imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was looking at some photos a friend sent me and the crowd didn't look too far off a Taylor Swift one.

Couldn't have been further from my experience in Prague last month. Was wall to wall metal heads having a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

Actually agree with you re the crowd. Bit of a bugbear of mine but perhaps its just the lack of population density: a lot of gigs are populated by "event junkie" types rather than fans of the band or genre.

I was in Block F, 3 rows back so immediately adjacent to to the Feurzone: shocking amount of people just there for a day out/ booze up, little to no interest in the music. Whole sections of the stand jus kinda sitting there not moving at all.

Actually there was a couple directly in front of me : Scouse accents so clearly travelled for the gig, paid mad Dublin accommodation prices etc, just sat there phone up, motionless for the entire gig. I don't get it tbh, is it really just a "young people these days" thing? Has the prevalence of phone cameras everywhere killed our sense of abandon?

I can certainly remember being at gigs in the likes of the Point, even Witness / Oxygen as late as the mid naughties and things being a low wilder and more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

They've definitely crossed over successfully into this mad attraction that scores of people want to see at least once, so the lack of a 'metal' feeling doesn't surprise me at all.

Fair play to them, they deserve it after all these years and I'm sure it's what they're going for. But I do understand the weirdly comforting vibe as a metalhead of going to shows and liking everyone around me definitely, definitely being an adult wrestling fan.

I think Metallica are the same. I'd go to see Metallica now if I wanted to see Metallica specifically, but not if I had a metal show itch to scratch, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kurooi

And the thing is these event junkie types are there to experience that metal culture, they were there turning their phones at anyone headbanging, any small notion of a mosh pit or crowd surfing, but as they're there holding phones, drinks, not interacting with the crowd or the band they're all getting in the way of any of that culture happening. I saw a few attempts at crowd surfing and mosh pits fail there all because there were bystanders in the way gawking instead of doing their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I didn't go yesterday, but it was a decision I agonised over, but I can't go to every gig and there's a lot to consider time and money wise if you are traveling across the country etc, etc.

Anyone go yesterday who went to the show in 2012? I honestly think that -2012 - was the best gig of any kind I've ever been to. How did yesterday compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,437 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The support act really didn't do anything for me. At one stage I checked my watch to see when I'd be put out of my misery and it was only 10 past seven 🙈 It felt like they had been on for an hour already.

Don't get me wrong, I love my symphonic metal (and a lot of bands release the instrumental versions of their albums which I always love), I love film scores and have seen Hans Zimmer a couple of times, but this was lacklustre, didn't help to get the crowd excited and other than the song intros, it all sounded the same to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Couldn't actually hear the support act, everyone talking, expected that though, naively thought it would be different for Rammstein, instead they were more interested in having a nice catch up while the cute shouty men on stage let off a few fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I hope whoever threw the beer can that caught Richard in the head when he was making his way across in the dingy got a good belt from those around him. Dude is signing and throwing out autographs as he goes across and some git does this, fookin pathetic. Why on earth would you pay €150 quid to act like such a pr1ck.

I always find it a bit odd when people complain about how certain people behave at a concert.

People enjoy music in different ways and just because you don’t mosh and jump around doesn’t make you any less of a metal fan.

Now admittedly if everyone was just standing around silently there wouldn’t be much of an atmosphere…. But that doesn’t happen as it’s all a mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Most gigs are in cities, even the one you went to in Germany. Dublin is the centre of culture and creativity & the foci where the human and material resources of civilisation is concentrated. That's why Rammstein & most bands chose Dublin. If you live three hours away you live three hours away. You chose to live there.

Great gig. I'm not a fan but got free tickets, it was like a Mad Max spectacle.

For direct comparison however, while obviously not driving: I left my seat at the Olympistadion Berlin at roughly 11pm and was back at my hotel in Alexanderplatz via free (ticket entitled you to free use of public transport to / from the venue) train by 11.40.

Compare that to the horror show that will most likely occur following Green Day in Marlay Park again.

Also I live 2 hours away, can do the airport for a red-eye in 1hr 45. That it takes 3+ is purely a Dublin/ Irish organisation thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Similar experience for me here in Dublin, got the DART back to Raheny in no time, similar distance.

Lots of people like you from outside Dublin must have driven to the event and clogged up that part of the city. That's the problem with old cities you just have to deal with it if you don't stay there like you did in Berlin.

Gardai out for a jolly blocking off all but a single artery south out the area didn't help either.

And staying in Dublin these days? 😂 😂

€200 for your average roachpit hotel where your neighbours are probably IPAs. No wonder the roads were full of culchies cars. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't think folks have any problem with people not moving. It's more the 'holding a phone in the air' the whole gig / talking to their mates and being mentally elsewhere, 'gig tourists' if you want to call them something that grind fan's gears.

You get people like that at all gigs, I just find the higher the ratio of them goes up, the less enjoyable the night is really.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If I was surrounded by statues silently taking it in, that would have been heaven compared to the incessant yapping I was subjected to all night, it was so bad I felt like walking out, but I got there on a bus, so I had to stick it out.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, i get that. I generally take 2 or 3 short videos at a gig. People with phones out all the time is a bit much alright.

Advertisement