Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an M&S bag for Pennys clothing

Options
  • 11-10-2023 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys, i was in Penny's today in the que. There was a lady in front of me in the que, well spoken, in her mid 50s, all poshlike if you will. She was changing stuff for something else. Up she's bring her bag to the counter, low & behold her items were in a small little brown Thomas shopping bag id say the arse was ready to fall out of it. She does her exchange and new items into her brown thomas bag and of she pops.

What is the deal with that, is it a case of keeping up with Jones's.

Did she not want her neighbour's thinking she was shopping in penneys haha.

If there is anyone on here that has ever done that, went to penny's and used a Zara, Brown Thomas, H & M, Marks & Spencer's bag for your penneys clothes please lets hear your reasons why.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

Sorry OP I was in work today I am sure wandering around Pennys having a noisy into other peoples business is way more fun however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Haven't done that but do I do buy little crocodile emblems on ebay and sew them on to plain polo shirts bought in Dunnes Stores 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Not sure why this is in current affairs but anyway.

Penney's bags are sh1te if you make it home with one still fully intact you're doing well....and that's putting them in the boot of a car.

BT bags are more robust, even a well used BT bag will serve you better than a brand new Penney's bag.

Anyway you've little to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

I dont know,i have my butler perform all of my shopping requirments but if he's going into the likes of pennys with a brown thomas bag or god forbid a harrods bag i will have him flogged after canapes but before the main course!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Had you asked her rather than us she'd have explained it to you. She is environmentally conscious and recycles her bags rather than getting new bags with every purchase. In this day and age the real question is why you'd jump to any other conclusion....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

When I pop into my local Tesco for bits, the Lidl and Aldi bags stay in the boot and out comes the M&S one, appearances must be kept up!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title updated to reflect the point raised by the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

I refuse to go into any supermarket without my Fallon & Byrne recycled cotton bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

But,but, but it was a Brown Thomas bag not M&S 😂🤣🤣🤣

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Surely if she was that posh she'd just send out one of the staff to those jobs.

(That's what we do.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Most simple explanation is probably that she didn't have the original bag, found one that was ok. Used it bring things to return to the shop & since she already had a bag, just popped them in that rather than take another. I don't know anyone who would actually think of the whole keeping up thing when just returning clothes. Hell I've brought penney's stuff back in Dunnes bags, bag for life bags - basically whatever I have around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭RINO87

No, but when I worked in pubs it was fairly common for people to ask for the chape lager (Tennants, Bavaria, Tuborg etc), in a Heineken or Carlsberg glass to save the blushes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It would be funny to try it the other way around. Do ur BT exchange into a pennys bag and see the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

If someone in a queue (not que) is posh for speaking correctly, the world must be soon to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I often bring a Lidl bag to Aldi.

There! I've finally said it!!

😔 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There would be none, because nobody (other than the OP, it would seem) would even notice such a thing, let alone care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I put Fleetwood paint into farrow and ball tins... got to keep up appearances and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,733 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I use any bags as Penneys paper bags don't last

Some items in M&S I found cheaper than Penneys tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Very true. I wouldn't even notice something like that. I'm sure every house has bags from multiple shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We always use bags for life that we got in foreign supermarkets. just to give us that well travelled look. 😛

I had to tut tut one day when I saw an old dear carrying her bits of shopping in a carrier bag she got in Lourdes. A religious snob. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭pcardin

Its Ireland. Class system. Kinda norm here (but hilarious anyway). Poor people trying to keep up and pretending they are somehow rich. You see them everywhere. In the past it was considered somewhat humiliating to be seen shopping in Aldi or Lidl, so when global crisis hit the world, these royal wannabes were shopping there but made sure their groceries are packed in M&S bags exclusively, so when they arrive home, neighbors can clearly see them M&S bags and think they still shop there. Same with Pennys stuff packed in M&S or BT bags. Same with new cars - in Ireland, nobody cares what POS they bought as long as their neighbors see its new and has current year on the number plate.

These individuals usually are heavily sinking in loans and credits but still they have to keep up their fake richness. They bring their kids to school in 80-100k priced SUVs but pay their music teachers in checks knowing well there is no cover for the amount they scribbled on the check, and then pretend all surprised a week later when poor teacher is handing it back to them with the message that it bounced back. Oh, ah, how did that happen, must be some error, blah blah blah. Clowns.

So no matter what reasons some are giving here, the only reason in Ireland is class system and a shame to be associated with 'wrong class', hence the hilarious daily act. As someone posted here correctly - Hyacinth Bucket syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Ah here I think that's reading too much into it! Most of my shopping bags are M&S ones because I like the size of them & they last a bit longer than some of the others. All my shopping whether done in Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi or Lidl is packed into them. I literally couldn't give a toss what my neighbours thing of where I shop. I just use the handiest bags for me.

As for being humiliating to be seen shopping in Aldi or Lidl - I don't know anyone who genuinely gives a flying fig what supermarket their neighbours shop in or why. Actually I tell a small lie - I did care when my neighbours got a Dunnes home delivery as they hadn't covered our area the last time I'd looked so asked them about it. Otherwise nope. I don't know where you grew up that people felt like that or put shopping into other shops bags to keep up appearances. Or bought brand new cars that the didn't car what it was for the reg plate. Not anywhere I've lived though.

And no-one uses cheques anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

This reminds me of the time Tesco announced that only their bag would be allowed to be used in store and other makes confiscated

It was of course on April 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

I bring my Lidle shopping bags into M&S so that the security guards follow me around and I can pretend I'm shopping with friends....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I use my Lidl bag for life in Fallon and Byrne.

• Advertisement
Advertisement