Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 23/24:season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not much more than 12 hours from the draft and basically nothing is set in stone, this class is as hard to call as it was 6 months ago. If nothing else I'm sure tonight's picks will be wild to look back on in 5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Nets are blowing it up anyway. They want Cam Johnson dealt before the draft and have Cam Thomas lead a rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,274 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So the Nets turn the Durant trade into eight unprotected first round picks. They got Cam Johnson, Crowder and Bogdanovic out of it too. That's nice work.

I see Topic went at 12 to the Thunder. His shooting is a question but he's only 18. If that improves he could be the steal of this draft.

Its hard to be really enthused by anybody this year. The guy I liked Zach Edey went ninth to the Grizzlies.

Topic is out for the year according to Presti.

• Advertisement

Full first round:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Corvo

A poor #1 pick by all standards, I had sneaky bet on Reed Sheppard for #1 at 80/1 but not to be!

Zach Edey probably went a tad early too, though he seems like a good replacement for Steven Adams in a few ways.

Lakers got a fabulous fit in Dalton Knect who was in the Top 10 of a lot of draft boards

Portland did well to get Clingan and Deni Avdija from Washington and could be the main winners of the draft

Feel bad for Sarr ending up in Washington too though…

I'm very happy with Portland's business (cursed history with drafting big men aside). Clingan was getting talked about as a potential Top 3 pick and he's probably got the highest floor of anyone in the class. Avdija is better than anyone they could've taken at 14 and he's on a really nice contract too.

OKC got a steal, they're in a position where they have the privilege of drafting someone who's injured for the year without it hurting them, Topic could well be this year's MPJr.

Shepperd would have made more sense for the Hawks.

Surprised the Heat drafted Ware, wouldn't have thought they were eyeing up Bigs.

I'm very curious what Portland do with Williams and/or Ayton now. Clingan wasn't drafted to be 3rd string center. That logjams gotta clear now. I assume ye are eyeing up a guard to replace Brogdon but exactly what return ye get for whichever center ye move will be interesting.

• Advertisement

I think the C rotation will be Ayton and Clingan, with Duop Reath as the 3rd. I don't think Williams will play for Portland, he'll be traded as soon as he can prove he's healthy. Ayton has 2 years left on his contract so I expect Portland to spend this year testing out their Cs and seeing if Ayton can finally improve, or if Clingan is good enough to let Ayton go.

I don't think they'll trade for another guard, maybe draft one in the second round though. Scoot/Sharpe are the starting backcourt for the future and they still need to figure out what to do with Anfernee Simons, I think this is the year he gets traded.

Next to that there's also Jerami Grant who I think will be gone too.

That Knicks team is ridiculous.

Brunson, Anunoby, Randle, Bridges and Hartenstein with Hart, Robinson, DiVincenzo and McBride backing them up.

Bronny is a Laker with pick #55.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, he's gonna have it so tough, not good enough to be a Laker and he will constantly be reminded of that. I think LeBron is gonna find out pretty quick that the idea of playing in the nba with his son sounds a lot better than it actually will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The scope of LeBron’s career is hard to comprehend sometimes. Playing in the NBA with his son is truly incredible.

Has the misfortune of watching some of the "coverage" by ESPN of the draft. Jesus christ, it was awful. A guy in a doctors waiting room surrounded by god knows who. Then you have Malika not being able to pronounce anyones name, Stephen A Smith and Bob Meyers just picking at each other and don't get me started on the Bronny part. They had a commercial during the Celtics pick for god sake. Sooner ESPN goes bust the better but thats wishful thinking.

Bringing Stephen A in gives the whole game away. He has no idea who basically anyone in the draft is and has no problem saying so, the whole broadcast was just set up for the Bronny moment.

If not for Bronny I don't think the y would've split the draft into 2 days at all.

Should Bronny have been drafted? The question marks over his health have to make it a bad pick. Surely they could have picked him up as an undrafted free agent.

I mean think about it. If the Lakers didn't take him nobody would. The other teams know that the Lakers know all about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nate Duncan discussed the pick on his podcast today and their take was he is a reasonable late second round pick, given his tools and athleticism. The USC season was weird due to the health circumstances that preceded it.

Ultimately a father and son playing together in the NBA is really cool, a lot of the hand wringing around the thing that was likely to happen all along will melt away once we see them on the court together.

Well I don't really like it. Whatever chance Bronny has of making it will weaken playing with his father I think. He's a kid and his 40 year old father is better than him. That's not going to help the young man imo.

This is all about LeBron not Bronny.

• Advertisement

That 40 year old man is currently better than everyone drafted this week though

Warriors must be planning a bigish move for today as they pushed CP3's guarantee from yesterday to tomorrow. Supposedly they are eyeing up PG13...

The Hawks pull the plug on the Young/Murray experiment by sending Murray to the Pelicans for Nance, Daniels and next years Lakers 1st.

PG13 is walking so there'll be no trade for him just free agency.

Drummond, Eric Gordon, PG13 are all Sixers now.

Kevin Porter Jr. is back in the NBA courtesy of the Clippers (who replaced PG13 by nicking Derrick Jones Jr. from the Mavs)

Valanciunas has joined Wizards for some reason, no idea what timeline they are eyeing up.

KCP has joined the Magic.

Wemby's second year will be even scarier as he now will have CP3 at the point.

He's a few years on but if CP can replicate what he did for OKC with the Spurs young guys then that's a great pickup....hell even just having someone who knows how to pass to Wemby is enough.

Sixers have to keep taking swings for Embiid, not sure how the PG move will work out but it's fun. As someone who watched Portland fail to put a star next to Dame for 10 years you have to try *something*

Thunder are done with tanking. They've won the Hartenstein race. That moves Holmgren (5 -> 4) and Williams (4 -> 3) up a slot meaning Dort/Caruso will be 6th man + today they've resigned Isaiah Joe and Aaron Wiggins. Serious depth now.

And they still have a comical fùck tonne of draft assets. Sam Presti is a wizard.

Bulls have replaced Drummond with Jalen Smith as back up to Vucevic.

Still questions over DeRozan (his playoff MVP daughter) and Klay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A statement released by the owners of Boston Celtics outlining plans to sell…

Tobias Harris gets 26m for 2 years from Detroit.

Klay will eventually be a Mav (earning 16m for 3 years), Josh Green will be a Hornet, its being held up while the Hornets explore any potential trade for Bertans.

Kris Dunn will be a Clipper, they just want to move Westbrook first. Clippers added Batum and Bamba aswell so are nearly finished with their roster already.

LeBron had supposedly told Pelinka he'd have took a somewhat reduced deal to allow for one of Harden/Valanciunas/Klay to become Lakers but now all 3 are off the table.

Still nothing solid on DeRozan with not much money left around the league now.

Tobias Harris is the absolute GOAT of getting teams to pay him for doing absolutely f all.

• Advertisement

Donovan Mitchell signs an extension with Cleveland.

The Warriors big acquisitions are looking like Kyle Anderson and Buddy Hield.

The Lakers have whiffed on all targets so far, remaining options are guys like Zach Lavine, Jerami Grant, and DeMar DeRozan.

Advertisement