Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 23/24:season

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Very naive to think that good will and sponsorship can add up to $113m. He was already loved in New York and would continue to be so long as he performs to a level close to his potential.

There are zero guarantees that this earns a championship - he or his teammates could get injured. The fit of the new pieces may not work at the elite level. They could just endure bad shooting variance at crucial moments.

Finally, the assumption that an organisation will reward your loyalty or the love with which your fanbase holds you hasn’t stacked up in the past. Just look at Isaiah Thomas as far as that goes (point made above).

The challenge for players should be to win within the CBA framework. Sure, players on a team all agreeing to take a couple of million less to fit in everyone below an apron is one thing. Taking a $113m discount is quite another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He'll get the money back in a couple of years, maybe next year if they win the championship this year. It's clear it's a short term thing to try win the title.

Get the money back, how? He is locked into this extension until the summer of 2028. The Knicks have no mechanism to give him the $113m more he could have earned, he simply cannot earn it.

yes, restructuring contracts is not a thing in the NBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,834 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Frustrating to see Scoot Henderson sitting out of Summer League, a year 2 player who had a bad rookie season and loves to push a "works harder than anybody else" image. Unless they're injured and/or playing internationally I think pretty much every sophomore should be playing SL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You should tell Orlando their deal with Isaac isn't allowed then.

Isaac’s contract was available for this sort of renegotiation and extend type deal because he had missed so many games his 2022 - 2025 salaries had become partial or non guaranteed. His contract also met some other stipulations that Brunson’s doesn’t (it is 4 or more years of original guaranteed length and was past the third anniversary of signing; Brunson’s is a 3 + 1).

So no, New York will not be able to restructure his deal and pay him the $113m even if they wanted to.

Now that we are all educated here, can we agree this is **** madness?

I've been reading up.on the contract and many sites are saying he won't lose anything close to the $113 million that he left behind. They are also saying that his deal puts him in position to receive a much bigger contract in 2028.

By signing now and giving himself security for the next year and then signing the bigger contract in 2028 he'd make $6 million less by 2030 but have another three years on a monster deal..

This was Brunson's breakout year. We don't know if he'll have the same impact next season. What would he get if he regressed this upcoming season?

It seems like a smart move, protect yourself, become a hero, maybe win a championship and end up making more money in the long term.

Not only that but winning a championship and being remembered for giving the team the cap space to do it is a huge thing for his future after basketball. New York loving you is massive for earnings after your career is over.

It's obviously Summer League and means very little but Alex Sarr is an interesting case. He was projected #1 for a long time and fell to #2 because (rumours) he wants to play PF and have a big role on offence, rather than being a rim runner in Atlanta.

Well he just went 0-15 last night chucking from all over the court, for a total of 8-41 across 3 games, 2-17 from 3. Again it's the earliest of days and this is only at all noteworthy because there's nothing else to talk about right now but it'll be interesting to see how he pans out as part of a Washington team with no real veterans or leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Yeah I think I mentioned I really fancied him or Sheppard for #1 until I realised Sarr didn't even work out with Atlanta. Definitely one to watch.

Jesus those statlines are shocking. Olbigatory Summer League disclaimer but if that was a second rounder or exhibit 10 guy he'd be immediately marked out for G-League assignment to develop for a bit.

Russ is off to the Nuggets.

Given the huge KCP hole in the Nuggets starting 5 I wonder will they try to start both Russ AND Murray? They are in dire need of a starting SG.

He'll only be decent (and thats a stretch) off the bench for energy. He's an absolute black hole on offense and I don't care what anyone says about his time at the Clippers, it was only bigged up because of the comparison to his horrific time at the Lakers.

Add to this another 2 point (1-6 FGs) performance last night and he's now shooting 9-47 (19%) across his 4 Summer League games. That feels almost impossible for a 7 footer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey lads, i have never bought league pass before but I was thinking of getting NBA 2K25 edition that comes with 12 months of league pass from the day you activate it. Edition comes with other goodies as well so I'd be thinking of selling the pass for 50 euro. Anyone know if that's good value? Trying to weigh up if it's worth going that route.

Its very good value at 50 quid indeed. If you do want to sell I'd be interested in that, if I dont pick up that NBA2K edition myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks Corvo, a buddy of mine is buying the code off me. I believe the HOF edition is down to 135 euro if you had bought 2k24, not sure if the details but worth checking it out. Even at 150, seems to be a great deal for someone who would be getting the pass anyway.

If you do end up getting it, give me a shout for some games. Me and another guy on boards play regularly.

New Thread?

Advertisement