Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KIA EV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

This one, I will definitely be looking at seriously. I have a Soul EV right now and absolutely love it so this looks like it may be used by KIA as the replacement.

Like with the EV5 though, I will wait until a production ready version before I decide. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭fafy

Looks good, and seems to be very similar in size to the new Volvo EX30

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058298633/volvo-ex30/p1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nobby has a first look up on YouTube.

Looks great to me and could be a serious option when we eventually change the Ioniq 5.

Edit: Nobby maybe you'd be able to shed some light on the actual size of the car in the metal? It looks bigger than an ID3 and much closer to an ID4 size in the video. Where does it compare in person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭fafy

has some very nice touches, looks impressive, a little odd the smaller battery is not coming here.

another review here from Autogefühl, i like this German guy, he goes into some of the detail other reviewers don’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭ffocused

press release contains all the info including dimensions.

https://www.kianewscenter.com/News/kia-ev3-delivers-elevated-electric-suv-experience-for-all-with-innovative-technology-and-advanced-de/s/6f0a8f45-a919-4d48-a602-ddaf955aba50

In summary, it’s roughly the width of ID4 and length and height of ID3

EV3

4300mm L 1850 W 1560 H

ID3

4264mm L 1809 W 1564 H

ID4

4584mm L 1852 w 1640 H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Looks great. Better looking car than the EV9.

edit. That speed warning OTA update can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

yes because he gets special treatment from a lot of the brands, more time with cars, studio first looks etc whereas the rest of us have to elbow our way into car premieres when he’s been in a studio that afternoon with time to do multiple takes :)

The channel is huge though so fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I know this is supposed to at least indirectly replace the eSoul.

But the 81 kwh battery pretty much makes the Niro EV surplus to requirements.

I'd expect current happy eNiro drivers to be much more likely to buy this then the current Niro EV.

Also unless Kia really scrape the undercarriage out of things with pricing.

Then this has potential to offer real value for an 81 kwh battery car.

Especially if as reported the EU goes ahead and slaps 25 percent tariffs on chinese EVs.

Edit

Obviously talks of 32 grand sterling and the like in Uk will be for a 58 kwh car with the 81 kwh attracting a premium on top

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

My concern would be the poor drag coefficient (is that what it's called?).

I do 250km round trips (75% motorway, 25% N/R roads) three times a week and then ~250km across the other four days. This car wouldn't be for me given the amount of motorway driving I do which is a pity as it looks like a really nice machine. I particularly like the amount of physical buttons which is going against the grain of modern EVs.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Hyundai/Kia make efficient cars though. The 64kWh Soul did 310km at motorway speed when Teslabjorn did a range test. I'd be surprised if Kia make a newer similar car with less range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

0.26 isn't that bad. It's better than the EV6, ID3/4s

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭D_D

I was going to say the exact same... Have no idea how this has a better Cd than the EV6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

I was thinking the same, but this looks to be a bit smaller than the Ioniq 5, especially in the boot.

All depends on price though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

130kW charging speed is a little disappointing, I guess they are marketing this as a local commuter rather than a motorway cruiser.

Cd is only half of the story. The A, i.e. the front cross section is an important part of the CdA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You'll need to start wearing blue suits Mark 😉

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's certainly nothing special for an 81kWh battery in this day and age

I was kind of picturing it like the ID.3 with a 58kWh battery. Mostly for shorter trips but very capable of doing a longer trip if you want to

I presume this has the 800V architecture as well? I would have expected closer to EV6 charging speeds in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭D_D

No, they went for a 400V architecture for the EV3 to save on some cost to keep the price low… Results in the charging speed being approx. half of the EV6 and the 800V architecture

Ah that's interesting, I thought all of Kia/Hyundai EVs were going to be 800V from now on

It's very strange considering they went for the bigger battery anyway. I wonder where the extra expense for 800V comes from, I always assumed it was down to needing more batteries in series but maybe it's something else

In any case a VW with a 77kWh battery is now charging at 185kW peak, so 130kW is definitely not fantastic nowadays

• Advertisement

Don't the EV6 and Ioniq5 use the motor to step 400v up to 800v or something like that. So a price sensitive smaler EV3 might not be able to accommodate the size and cost of doing that.

If I remember correctly, the motor in the EV6 steps up the 400V from the charger to 800V to charge the battery

It's smart because otherwise you'd need a separate converter like the Porsche Taycan, which could be power limited

It also saves on costs because you don't need extra components

There's other way to do the same thing, for example the Porsche Macan splits the pack in two when connected to a 400V charger, so it'll actually like it's charging two batteries at half the current each

Obviously it's better to use an 800V charger, but it makes the best of what you get

While an 800V motor, controller and charger would cost more than a 400V version, it's hard to imagine there's that big a enough cost difference to matter. Particularly when Kia is already making those motors for other EVs

I wonder are they buying in the components from a vendor instead of manufacturing them

Otherwise I just can't wrap my head around it 🤷‍♂️

Cost is what I'm going with, assuming lower size/power 400v motor is cheaper, factoring in cooling apparatus and warranty uncertainty.

Marketing material for EV6 and Ioniq5 was VTL omg microwave a pie! Charge from 10 to 80% in 12 minutes. They don't need that charge speed for non flagship car so I guess margin is their focus.

Oh I was so used to 56kW charging with Niro I'd blow my load getting 100kW never mind 130.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

This shows how charging curve can be just as important as the peak rate.

You see the actual claimed charging time on the EV3 is 10 to 80 percent in 31 mins.

With the 81 kW pack this requires an average charging rate of 109.7 over the whole session.

Suggesting an extremely flat charging curve up to 80 percent.

Worth looking at Nissan Ariya charging tests because the real life Ariya charging tests align really well with what Kia are claiming in both peak charge rate and charge times.

The big Ariya pack is only 7 kwh more than the long range EV3 in usable capacity terms.

I think it's gorgeous - compared to it's ugly sister the EV5, just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I think it is the better looker of the 2 as well. Just waiting to see pricing now, which will be interesting considering KIA have just dropped the price of the Niro EV by about €4.5k to around €38.5k.

You don't want to hazard a guess by any chance? 😉

Dropped ev6 price too to make way for new facelift model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Looks like order books are opening first of August in the UK and prices start at £33K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭ffocused

UK pricing is broadly in line with Niro EV, apart from 58kw version which is a bit less.

My guess is we will get 2 trims Earth approx €40k and GT Line approx €45k both with 81kw battery and heat pump after grants.

https://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/ev3/pricing/

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

When will EV3 be available here? Any info on pricing? I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

I see kia UK already have them on their configurator. They also have the refreshed EV6.

I'm hoping myself that kia ireland get their finger out soon as I'm interested in changing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

https://youtu.be/Lu7qbFWf6i0?si=WtiNcPsKvd1y287f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

It'll sell like hot cakes if as your man claims it has real world range of 560km.

• Advertisement
Advertisement