Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor light working intermittently

• 12-10-2023 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi, I moved in to an older house with wiring that probably needs to be redone. In the mean time there are two outdoor lights and what looks like a light/motion sensor. Sometimes the light works fine and sometimes it doesn't. I replaced the bulbs but they are still only working occasionally.

Tracing the wire leads back to this single switch. Can anyone explain what is happening here? I'm not sure why there are two cables wired in to one terminal and another two seemingly patched to be constantly on. I'm a bit baffled so any opinions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Daniel son

The wiring is like that because they have the sensor acting as the switch. Your sensor is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Thanks for the reply which makes sense. Assuming the fault is that the sensor isn't correctly switching it on is there any way to rewire the switch to bypass it or would I be better off just removing the sensor altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Daniel son

If colors of cores are correct the live is joined in connector and neutral is joined in switch terminal. A qualified electrician would reverse that but with the live connected correctly in the switch to allow proper function. He would then remove the faulty sensor from the circuit. Allowing the light function via the switch.

A qualified Electrician would do all this with the circuit confirmed safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

WTF kind of cowboy/girl electrician done this? More than likely as it's quiet old by the looks of it it was a male electrician. No need for the switch at all 2 connectors and a blank plate would have done the job.

Sounds like the sensor is the issue. You could either get it removed and just leave the light or get a new one fitted. That is up to you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Black and blue in a flex cord? Or did the camera just pickup brown as black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

They just bypassed the switch in a bodgy way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

and i would have that switch restored for additional control, in case i dont want that light to come ON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Thanks for the comments as they were all very useful. I'm going to get the sensor replaced and the switch rewired by a local electrician. Need to sort before it gets dark at 4pm!

Advertisement