Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car damage during service

Options
  • 12-10-2023 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I recently had my 6 month car in a service and during the service the main dealer mechanic accidentally reversed another car into mine causing 9k euro worth of damage or over 20% of the value of the car when new.

The garage has accepted liability and has agreed to pay for the repair and case closed as far as they are concerned.

Yes I know accidents happen but I have 2 issues. The potential loss in value if I trade in or resell privately next year. The garage are also using their insurance to cover their repair. When I renew my insurance policy in a few months I am worried that my insurance premium will shoot up, even though I not at fault, but still involved in an accident which resulted in a claim.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can claim for diminishment of value but getting more than maybe 10% of the repair cost is rare.

It should not affect your insurance in any way. Change insurers if you have a really odd one that tries to make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Wquirke1234

Thanks. When you look for an insurance quote they always ask for claims made by you against your own policy or against another policy in the last 4 years. My understanding is that regardless of who is at fault, being involved in a claim or accident of any kind means they see you as a higher risk of repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the car was in the care os the garage so the car owners policy should not be in play

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭HorseSea

There is no issue for your own insurance, however depreciation in value would be a concern. Is the same garage doing the repairs? If so they will be making a large saving there, you could use that as a bargaining tool to get decent contribution to depreciation in value or you will insist on repairs at another garage.

It's one of the only few approved bodyshop from the main dealership. If I went elsewhere, don't think they would stand over the repair. I think thousands could potentially be knocked off the value if I sell next year. If you had 2 identical newish cars side by side in a dealership and you were told that one was damaged repaired, I know which one I wouldn't touch, regardless what the dealer said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In olden days (maybe thirty years ago), insurance companies would allow an additional 10% of the cost of the repair to cover the loss in resale value arising from the repair.

Do they still do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭HorseSea

I understand the issue, see what they offer, but I think you will have to play hardball with them, maybe talk to a solicitor and get them involved.

Thanks folks. I'm not trying to scam anyone but I'm just annoyed with the whole thing and also the uncertainty of what could happen either during my policy renewal or when I resell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I think my insurance policy had a clause about replacing a car 6 months old or newer if the repair was over 20% of the value of the car. It might be worth checking if you have anything similar.

I realise it should be up to the garage to sort everything out, but it might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

My 6 month old ID4 was hit by a lorry when parked. I received 15% of the Ex VAT repair cost to cover depreciation (Repair bill was €11k)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

What I remember was that depreciation was measured at up to 10% of the market value of the vehicle as at the date of the loss. Also, where a car was over a certain age - say 10 - depreciation would be virtually nil as repairs were almost regarded as an enhancement of the vehicle where it was still an economic proposition to repair.

AFAIK the thinking was that the depreciation in the value of the market / selling price of the vehicle due to damage was the measure of the owner's loss.

Post edited by NUTLEY BOY on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Any update on the final resolution?

I gave up trying to get an answer from the insurers so I asked a friend who is a solicitor to deal with it. Hopefully soon. There is a condition alert on the car. Doesn't show up on motorcheck but is on the VMS.

Advertisement