Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR Public IP Range - Does anyone use them - Help needed

Options
  • 13-10-2023 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

Long story short, but we are looking to switch from one ISP to EIR due to high cost of current provider. We have 4 servers used for testing on an isolated network that are configured with public static ip addresses and public default gateway which allows them gain access to the internet. Note: I'm aware of the security concerns, it is for run tests that go out direct to the internet.

We signed up to EIR Fibre and now have the EIR Fibre router in the comms room. We also received the requested Public static IP range but the default public gateway they have provided is 192.168.1.254. We haven't tested this yet as we need to purchase a new firewall, but Eir assured us that they could provide a public static ip range and we assumed that would include a actual proper public default gateway so we can use to access the outside world.

My question is, has anyone received a Public IP Range from EIR and configured on a computer to be able to get out on the internet. One of the public static ip's addresses provided is showing on the router and it also has a public default gateway, but the public gateway is completely different from the static ip range we received, however that could be how EIR route their traffic.

Just to note, I tried use the EIR router and configure a laptop with some of the public static IP address provided and tried a number of combinations of subnet mask, gateway and DNS but to no joy. I assume we need to configure the firewall with VLAN 10 and enter the username / password for EIR but totally lost to what the public default gateway should be. I have rang EIR multiple times, but no one there seems to know much about public static ip addresses, not to mention public default gateways for a static ip range.

If anyone out there has any experience with EIR and Public Static IP ranges and got it working, I just would love to know where you found the public default gateway.

Advertisement