Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel-Gaza: 'We are at war', says Benjamin Netanyahu

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hamas could have done that as well on 10/7, but they choose not to so here we are

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I don't think so, nearly 30,000 people murdered is genocide however you paint it. It doesn't matter who the people are or what they are called. Bombing people indiscriminately, destroying their homes indiscriminately, destroying the very fabric of their society - schools, hospitals, ambulances. Starving them into submission - or until they die. Politicians, religious leaders and generals openly stating that this is their objective. That's genocide, and you do the people you support no favours by encouraging them - in fact, that makes you a participant in the genocide.

It's a fantasy to think otherwise, but there are a lot of zionists out there who will try to tell you different. Don't let them - there is a reason that they are widely known as "zionazis".

Ah yes the old zionist trope, "Hamas murders bad, Israeli murders good".

They've been coming out with some version or other of that one for over 75 years now, but by this stage most of us have come to realise that it's a stinking heap of bull.

Just as a matter of curiosity - has it been established how many of the people murdered on October 11th were murdered by Israel? Or are you still pretending that they were all murdered by Hamas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

Tell me you don't understand the conflict without telling me you don't understand the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Saudi Arabia says it won’t now normalise relations with Israeli. Looks like a win for Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Well played Iran. They have created mayhem for US/Israel and caused a major distraction for their ally Russia.

They will probably leave it at that for now and will stop with their funding/support for Hamas/Hezbollah/Houthis etc - NOT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Republicans tried to get through a 17 billion aid package for them last night aswell, was defeated, you'd wonder how long they can finance their current bombing/ground campaign if American funding like in ukriane is held up for a few more months

I can't imagine the US leaving them run short on anything they look for.

On another note I think the Irish girls should refuse to play them in the basketball.

I understand at least 5 of the girls refused to participate. Fair play to them!

I can't say the same for their manager unfortunately.

Oh s/he understands just fine, but has no issues with what Netanyahu and his murder machine are doing.

• Advertisement

It looks like the rest of them boycotted the game also.

Genocide on the court!!!

You have no problem with HAMAS murdering people. But when a state chooses to defend itself you have an issue.

You are quite happy to defend an entity that is willingb to accept child brides, that is anti semitic, that holds hostages, that threw grenades into safe rooms where women and children were hiding as well as slaughtering hundreds that were at a music festival.

This would all end if HAMAS unconditionally handed over the hostages ( instead they are looking for a 3-1 exchange for civilians and a higher rate for captured military personnel) and left Gaza.

The total control of ending the conflict lies with HAMAS.

Slava Ukrainii

This is the laziest trope thrown about - "If you disagree with me you support Hamas and are antisemitic"

I can disagree with Hamas/Muslims in general and the way Israel is treating them. What happened on 7th October was horrific, yet what are Palestinian people supposed to do (Palestinians not Hamas). They been caught in the cross hairs since 1948. You keep referring to a state defending itself since 10th October 2023; what about the continued apartheid policies the Israeli government have continued so fervently administer.

You are quite willing to jump to the defence of a people that is willing to accept war crimes against the same children you seem so concerned about, The same people who are on state television for complete annihilation of, that (and I quote you) hold hostages -almost 7,000 compared to roughly 200 Hamas (and lets not forget that a state armed force taking civilian hostages on imaginative charges is a war crime itself.

This would all end if HAMAS unconditionally handed over the hostages ( instead they are looking for a 3-1 exchange for civilians and a higher rate for captured military personnel) and left Gaza.

This is laughably naïve and equally unbelievable at the same time. Hostages handed over and you think Israeli armed forces would simply turn around and head back?

Israel has purposefully crammed over 2 million people in to a strip of poor land 25 miles x 6 miles. For clarity; take the peninsula from Tralee to Dingle and picture 2 million people trying to scratch out an existence with the everyday threat hanging over them and their children. The house they build, if near the border, risks being arbitrarily bulldozed. They even police the coastline to precent deep water fishing, reducing food availability. They've now suggested poisoning the land with sea water to ensure there is nothing left for them to cultivate indigenously. They treat them like vermin and leave them little hope of ever being treated with a semblance of humanity, this only leaves Hamas to fill the void. Israel knows this and is happy to have the bogey man to justify their evil. They're quick to pontificate about the Holocaust, yet are equally quick to dole out the same treatment.

In ww2, Japan refused to surrender after Hiroshima but did so after Nagasaki.

Im not equating the war in Gaza with nuclear war, but why won’t Hamas just surrender? Do they not value Palestine lives like the Japanese valued their citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

So sad. And no one will ever be held accountable. Ireland needs to stand up and be on the right side of history.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/10/im-so-scared-please-come-hind-rajab-six-found-dead-in-gaza-12-days-after-cry-for-help

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

"You have no problem with HAMAS murdering people. But when a state chooses to defend itself you have an issue."

Please do not put words in my mouth, I speak for myself.

And for your information, I have serious issues with anybody or any organisation murdering people.

I'm reporting that post, btw.

That sort of whataboutery is a very poor defence of Israel's 28k murders.

FYI any of those bombed-out cities (and as well as Hiroshima, and Nagasaki I include Dresden andHamburg along with many other German cities and Tokyo too. Even St Nazaire in France was bombed flat so that the German U-boat base would have no workers) would today be considered a war crime. The fact that you even consider what is happening in Gaza to be similar to Hiroshima and Nagasaki should set massive alarm bells ringing in your head. If it hasn't, well I'm very worried for you.

Why should Israel surrender?

Israel needs to ensure that the Palestinian scum do not ever even think that another Oct 7 is ever a possibility.

MOD: I'm going to assume that "Palestinian scum" comments refers to Hamas. If another comment gives me reason to doubt that, your time here will be ended.

Post edited by greysides on

• Advertisement

It's really amazing and bemusing to see the amount of people that think this started on October 7th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; keep it on topic, less of the personal attacks, thanks.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Workhorse2024

On the numbers alone i struggle to see how any normal person would support Israel let alone defend them.

14000 Children Murdered by the IDF.

Or are they guilty for OCT 7th too ?

Why did the IDF choose to starter there war and drop 100 tons of bombs during the busiest time in Gaza, when there would be the most amount of civilians and children on the streets?

Anyone that supports and defends this "war" (massacre) is a psychopath.

It amazes me the amount of people tg6at cannot understand that Isarel keeps on getting attacked and it responds to those attacks. Every time the Palestinians lose a bit more land.

Keeping making the same mistake and expecting a different result is the definition of stupidity.

You would want to read your history the Palestinian attacked or Israel had a very good reason to believe it would be attacked before it responded

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Israel does not have to be attacked in order to steal Palestinian land and assist/allow settlers occupy Palestinian homes. It has been happening all along and Palestine is shrinking as a result. This war started in 1948. October 7th was just an escalation but an over=the=top escalation. What has been happening since is revenge and genocide.

They keep getting attacked because they keep doing horrible **** to mass amounts of people, they bomb, attack and carry out assassinations on our countries regularly. Fair grounds to be hated...

They constantly try to project superiority over others rather than build better relations from a position of strenght, people seem to be under this illusion that the Israelis are perpetual victims, its a fallacy, they are well capable of being scum and have been for quiet sometime it just so happens they are useful scum for the west so we spin them in a positive light.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: It's unreasonable to classify an entire population as 'scum' based on the actions of a small number. Hence the reason I differentiated between Hamas and the general Palestinian population above.

The same applies to the Israeli population.

While this discussion is emotive, the language needs to be moderated or else it degenerates into a slagging match, and that won't be allowed.

This is the second, and FINAL, warning.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Unreasonable? A recent poll shows 95% of Israeli Jews support the war in Gaza can it be stated once its a fact or what way are we to discuss reality as to not hurt each other's feelings?

If a spade can no longer be a spade what can I refer to it as in order to make my point?

Theyre military both backed , lead and manned by them have murdered 15000 innocent children, at what point do they become terrorists? At what point does it become reasonable to apply these labels give us a number 20k dead children? 30 or 40k??? Would it be ok to label them as scum then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If you take the civilian casualties of the American led Iraq war in 2003 that nato participated in, isreal can basically depopulate gaza, kill 200k plus of its citizens and still not match the direct and indirect death toll of the above, its a sad fact but in the main the deaths of millions of Muslims in the middle East doesn't concern western leaders...

Hamas gave isreal their excuse to commit their war with their Oct 7th attacks, and now that they have it, I reckon the current isreali government won't stop till they have it depopulated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

''Hamas gave isreal their excuse to commit their war with their Oct 7th attacks, and now that they have it, I reckon the current isreali government won't stop till they have it depopulated''

Again, this war did not start on Oct 7th. Israel has been committing crimes against Palestine since 1948. Look at how the Palestinian land has diminished since then. Israel has allowed settlers to steal, kill and chase Palestinians off their land and the IDF have even accompanied these settlers and protected them while doing this. Of course at some stage there was going to be a backlash and this culminated on the Oct 7th attack.

Advertisement