Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thought we looked absolutely knackered in the last 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭John arse

It took a very very good team to beat us- like a brick wall they were. Tiny tiny margins in the end, glad it didn't come down to sexton’s kick in the end,feel for everyone on here, well done folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Seriously? Choked? Bottled it?

They were literally inches from a winning try. People on the internet really have no business making judgements like that about top level sports people. It’s nonsense and it’s insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Genuinely thought we were going to do it at the end. We'd made huge metres from inside our own half and into New Zealand's 22. But just couldn't find the clear out this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

That wasn't our best shot though. Not by a long long way. This is a great team, and I had a lot of belief in them to grind out the win. But for some silly throwing away of penalties in the first half and a held-up try we would be coming away from the game elated having made it to the semis. As it stands though, we've gone out in the Quarter finals again. And again we find ourselves out because *we didn't give it our best shot*. Our best is far far higher than that. If both teams went into this game giving 100%, we'd have won. If both teams gave 100% and we lost, that's one thing. What really stings is that we simply didn't. I agree with Kearney: 75% at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Could still be 4 southern hemisphere teams in the semis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Where to go from here? Only downwards before more disappointment in 4 years.

Can we never produce a winger with out and out pace? Nothing and no one since Denis Hickey.

So so deflating, more the fact that when it really comes down to it and the pressure comes on, we crumble and always will. It’s a national thing and I don’t want think we will ever shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I am stating a fact.....Ireland have a mental block as bad as England have in soccer....

I have lost alot of money tonight....

Im disgusted....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

This loss is nothing like four years ago. It was all Ireland in that second half. Had we mauled a metre more and got over was a different story. This team has given us some fantastic days and those are the fine margins.

Anyone calling this team bottlers wouldn't last a single tackle in a game like that. Savea was absolutely exhausted in his interview.

Felt there was a penalty or two in those last phases but we shouldn't have been in that situation.

Is it too early to ask what blame has POC has in all this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Scrum and lineout. How we got within 4 with that mess is a testament to the rest of our game and sheer will power. Coaching questions to be asked.

Incredible NZ performance, hats off to them.

Joe Schmidt had our number in the breakdown area and with the short kicking game. Chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭McFly85

We were okay, but we kept it close without ever taking the game by the throat. I feel had we managed to go ahead we would have managed the game far better. Every time we’d bring it back to a point I’d hope they’d go again but they never did.

NZ were excellent when they needed to be. Their ability to make a try out of nothing ended up being the difference today.

For Ireland, it was a below par performance but at least not a total capitulation as in previous years.

And it annoys me greatly that 2 incredibly poor teams in England and Fiji will contest for a SF tomorrow. I hope World Rugby learn there lesson and do the draw maximum a year out.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Every-time I see Brody Retallick, he reminds me of Jaws from James Bond, he had a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ah well, better team lost. If Kelleher got the ball down over the line would have been enough. Even at that, Sexton kicks that easy penalty it’s only a point at the end and a drop goal was on.

Too many set piece mistakes cost us.

That can all be fixed, we’ll be stronger in 2027!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Sure Bundee aki is from new Zealand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Best team, best coach, best form, 2 opposition yellow cards, worst NZ team in a generation.

And never at any point looked like taking charge of the game.

5 letter word lads, rhymes with coke, woke and broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I hope the boks smash France tomorrow. lequipe revelling in Ireland , saying the Irish are awful etc. hatred is off the scale

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭JRant

NZ had the better kicking game and played phenomenal today. Hats off to them them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I really feel like this time it won't tbh haha. But have said that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wrecked. Considering New Zealand played 20 minutes with 14 men it was weird how Ireland's fitness fell off a cliff in the last 20 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,348 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well that doesn't mean they are not the best Irish team ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It was a close game and on the night NZ were the better team on the night. It comes down to very fine margins and NZ just pipped us. it’s not like they ran all over us….if barrette didn’t hold the ball up Ireland would have won…it was that close and at end of the day it a sport and winning can come down to a bounce of a ball or one moment in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

Just wonder if we'll drop off considerably with Sexton gone from the side. He's a generational player and conducted most of our attacks. Am not overly disappointed, thought that it would be a coin toss beforehand. Proud of the effort of the last four years and think that we've a chance to win the tournament in future. A lot better than the last few quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I agree, feels a little different to 2019 & 2015. More like 2011. A very good team leaving everything out there but just not firing on all cylinders on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

You are a rent a quote whose post count shows you live on this board.We all know we lost we all know what it means. You probably have never touched a rugby ball in your life.So give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Movementarian

But we didn't score the try did we? We had the chances and were considered by most to be the better team, all the bookies had us as favourites.

We didn't score when we needed to and NZ did. It's the very definition of choking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

we just looked totally gassed from about the 69th minute, little possession, little territory, little composure or finesse during the last period that all looked to be down to absolute exhaustion…

its a shame we just didn’t get through… it was a classic, both sides gave everything.

what must be noted is NZ secured victory despite playing for a quarter of the game with 14 men as a result of their two yellows. That’s immense credit to them. But for Ireland that has to be a real disappointment in addition to the disappointment of losing….their second yellow we didn’t manage a score when they were down to 14 yet they managed 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Advertisement
Advertisement