Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought he was bad for both teams. I don't think he hates Ireland. He just loves being the central character - like a latter day Nigel Owens.

TMO was the real problem. How that hit on Aki was dismissed was bizarre. Also saw a Beirne neck roll on an AB in our 22, TMO missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm a huge Johnny fan , and Farrell has been an amazing coach, fealt Johnny was a little of it all game and I would like to see Crowley beem brought on for last 15 - might not have done anything, but

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

Not a chance. They lost to them not that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

‘Beaten out the gate’ by 4 points as NZ hung on for 30+ phases at the end of the game. I think their celebrations at the final whistle showed how hard earned that was. Pure hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who gives a **** about the draw or about who the other teams are playing?

Ireland were supposed to be the best team in the world but couldn't beat the worst NZ team in a generation despite 2 NZ yellow cards.

What happens elsewhere had **** all to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Not bring Sexton off was a mistake we needed legs at 10 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bettered at the breakdown and lineout.

Mostly beaten in the air.

Very, very hard to win a game from that platform.

Well done New Zealand, they found a phenomenal performance when all the pressure was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We played Wales and Argentina at the quarter final in 2011 and 2015 and couldn't get past them either. Blaming the draw is a cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Tandey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Because we've had a 17 game winning streak. The margins were ultimately tiny today, and if we'd gotten to the semis we'd have been saying we had one of the toughest routes ever to get there.

It's all about whether you want to take a black and white, narrow, simplistic view, or a more nuanced one that recognizes the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭typhoony

I got the impression James Ryan unjustly caught a bit of flack for the lineout mess against SA, he has been there for most of big wins in the past 18 months and any team would have struggled against 3 towering pods. NZ 2nd row were far more dynamic than ours, also maybe we could have used a few more players against tonga and Romania. I feel sick and disappointed but not let down like I did in 2019 and some of our other early exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Aaarrŕrrrgggĝhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Musicrules

We're a far better team than New Zealand. We have shown this. So how come we lost, unfortunately, it has to be said, the players choked. You could see it in their faces, you could see it in the restrictive nature of their play. We fell 13-0 behind as we were panicked. Stupid decisions, stupid mistakes, all clear signs of feeling the pressure. That we still came so close shows how much of a better team we are. But ultimately, we choked again in a World Cup quarter final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hawley

Porter: 8 Very good in the loose. Harshly pinged for a few scrum penalties

Sheehan: 8 Throwing was good, issue was the pods. Almost in for a try and carried well

Furlong: 7 Quiet game but held his own in the scrum and open play. Hasn't looked fully fit in a long time.

Beirne: 8 Wasn’t his usual threat at the breakdown. Looked out on his feet at the end.

Henderson: 7 Had very little impact on the game. Really missed JR.

O'Mahony: 8 Was our best option in the lineout. Not as physically strong as NZ backrow.

JvdF: 8 Another player who looked overpowered by their players. Carried well at times. But didn't threaten their rucks.

Doris: 8 NZ did well in stopping him at source. Linked up well in attack

Park: 8 Took his try very well. Not sure why he was taken off. Made a couple of very important tackles.

Sexton: 9 Was excellent at linking up our play. Conducted attack. Missed an important kick, but it proved not to be important in the end.

Lowe: 8 Kicked well and carried well in attack. Didn't make any mistakes but didn't do anything of note either.

Aki: 10 Faultless performance. Gave everything for the jersey and was a lion in attack. Was heartbroken at finish.

Ringrose: 9 Thought that he carried and defended so well. Will take over as a leader.

Hansen: 8 Good in the air and made a few important breaks. Needed more magic from him but probably impeded by injury

Keenan: 8 Another solid outing from him. No major errors and a few good breaks. Needed to be brought more into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Tandey

The line out has been an issue for a while. NZ took advantage of that. If you can't see other ways we lost the game than say we were mentally weak then your not in a right frame of mind.

Conor Murrays stupid foul when the ball was in the air. So the whole team is mentally weak because of these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

My ratings in response:

Keenan 8: Solid in defence. Made meters in attack and was very solid under the high ball.

Lowe 7: Defended strongly but couldn't find space in attack.

Ringrose 7: Played well. Defended strongly in the outside channel and tested the NZ defence.

Aki 8: Great footwork for the try. One of the few players to make gaining success.

Hansen 7: Broke tackles with good footwork but was a little suspect under the high ones.

Sexton 5: Tried his heart out but missed a simplish 3 pointer. Was gassed in the final 10. Best we've ever produced. What a competitor.

JGP 6: Sniped in well for the try. Forwards made his life difficult tonight. Had to go rooting too often. Porridge decision on cross kick to O'Mahony when it was 14 v 15.

Doris 5: Struggled to impose himself in the carry. One turnover penalty and worked hard. Savea outplayed him. 2 bad handling errors when we thought he had addressed this area of his game.

JvDF 5: Did OK on the ball. Made little impact on the breakdown and had some uncharacteristic missed tackles. Outplayed by the sh*t Riche McCaw. Worryingly, his old failing of being underpowered resurfaced.

POM 6: Like his backrow colleagues he failed to make an impact on the breakdownor the gainline. Gets an extra point for taking control of a messy lineout.

Henderson 5: Couldn't make much impact either and the engine ran dry after 50. Don't recall him claiming a single lineout ball.

Beirne 6: Huge effort but like many of the other forwards it was effort without much impact. Couldn't move by the end of the game.

Furlong 4: Simply was not fully fit at this WC. Not involved in the loose, zero impact. Needs to rest and get fit again.

Sheehan 6: Unlucky with the bounce for the cross field kick. No fault on the lineout. Again was primarily a movement and lifting issue. NZ had a man up next to all our jumpers.

Porter 5: Silly penalty in the first 2 mins. Was srummaging illegally all tournament and couldn't adapt when Barnes spotted it.

Subs:

Bealham exposed badly for Jordans try.

Kelleher was good and unlucky to be held up. Should have let the ball go for a walkover try for Murray.

Kilcoyne wasn't on long enough to influence. Not at this level really.

JmC looked strong on the carry and clear out. One for the future.

Conan tried hard and looked lively but it was too late to chnage it for him.

Murray was good at the base and gave snappy service but conceded a needless and silly penalty which meant a DG wouldn't be enough on our last play.

JOB was the pick of the subs. Made meters and was safe under the high ball. Lacks pace to be a world class wing.

Post edited by almostover on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Our lineout has been our Achilles heel all tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,694 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We didn’t play well and NZ played really well.

No more complicated than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

8 letter word rhymes with duckhead?

5 letter word rhymes with brick?

go fvck yourself you piece of sh1t

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tomorrow when I wake up I’m gonna celebrate the fact we only lost by 4 points and we had loads of phases at the end of the game they resulted in zero points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Regardless we have people blaming the result on the draw. It's nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

True.

But you have to beat a very good team in a knockout game at some point, and we failed.

And NZ are the third best team left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Really disappointing given that it was there to be won. Another day and Sexton would kick that kick, Murray wouldn't give away an idiotic penalty, and they would have shown a little more patience on that last line out.

At least in previous quarter finals you can say we were battered. This one hurts because it was there for us.

What was impressive was getting back into it at 13 nil down. At that point I thought "here we go, same old." but they kept responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

When have we shown this though? In friendlies which only serve to feed our media's inferiority complex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

I don't think we are ever going to get past this stage. It's like the Mayo Footballers now.

Advertisement