Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I've compiled a complete list of all Irish head rugby coaches who were sacked after a poor World Cup performance:

Hope you enjoyed the list. Perhaps that and the IRFU's goals are the issue.

Never ever posted on this forum, have not even read the comments but I will say this.

That group are warriors, they need to stick together, they have given the country such a lift over the last year - a team we all united behind and believe in. I had full belief in them coming through today, it was gut wrenching watching the final whistle blow, but the lads did us proud. I've never seen as many young fellas in rugby tops, joining clubs and insprired. So much commentary from all quarters, everyone engaged.

keep going - keep er lit. Believe. Resilience. Mental toughness. We learn. We go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The group is the 2nd oldest squad in the RWC, they can't stick together. This was their chance and it's gone.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

No getting away from the fact the draw just never sat well.

If the Scotland game was 2 weeks ago we would have had better recovery time.

And a quarter final against the likes of Scotland, Wales, Fiji or Argentina would be a different proposition entirely.

Having said that I though we needed to switch out a few of the older players going down the stretch.

And we lost by a single score, with Argentina not being the toughest opponents the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,816 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not convinced we would have won the RWC anyway, even if we had somehow gotten through tonight. The team looked out on their feet at the end and perhaps a hint that the tournament was starting to slip away from us, win, lose or draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

What a condescending ass, it’s a message board buddy. Sounds like you might have had one too many tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

All that's missing is a paragraphs about our resilient tech sector

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I suppose we will never know. On a different day we would have won tonight.

We got 2 softish yellow cards. One in a failed attempt to stop an inevitable try and another for a fingertip deliberate knock on.

But you are right, we were out on our feet, in certain positions, but management left lads warming the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

Spoken like a wet wipe

• Advertisement

Yoo’d be the first one if the roles were reversed and it was England lost to NZ and Ireland were were drawn to play Fiji, saying luck of the draw is just excuses, excuses.

He’s right England will comfortably make it to the semi finals, maybe further.

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

The draw didn't help but we weren't the only ones that had it tough. Look at it from NZ's point of view. They had the hosts in their pool and then the world #1 on a 17 game winning run in the QF. SA have to deal with a France side at home that topped their pool. France have to face a SA team that smashed NZ a few weeks ago and could have topped their pool if they had a reliable kicker. We had the easiest task of the top 4 (on paper) of having to get past the world #4 that lost their previous 2 games against top opposition (France & SA)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,816 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If we were to win this World Cup, you would imagine it would come off the back off an impressive and resilient QF win, not one where we chasing the game from start to finish and making numerous unforced errors. Tonight's match would certainly have thrown up a load of questions marks had we gotten through.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

The guff out of some of the posters here. Unreal.

This was my nightmare scenario. Lose narrowly, playing pretty well, against a quality team in another quarter final. Apparently being called a ‘**** Richie McCaw’ bothered Sam Cane a bit. He was unreal tonight, and we were slightly below out recent standard because NZ were maniacs in defence. This team are not bottlers. They are great and have given me so much joy the last few years. Andy Farrell has done everything right. Prepared the team incredibly well, and the age profile was bang on for a World Cup. Youth and experience. But the horrible fact is it doesn’t matter. World Cups aren’t everything, but again we couldn’t get past the last 8.

Haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The guys posting here about Ireland being a bunch of chokers.....they're the real heroes. I for one salute their valiant opinions. Some might call them a bunch of bile inducing cowards, but not me. I know for sure, that if they had been out on that pitch, we would have had a different outcome. It sickens me that they are merely stuck behind a computer, only able to offer their sporting guidance from afar. For those who would claim that these "keyboard warriors" are nothing but a bunch of angry bitter cretins with atrocious breath, shame on you. These people are the ne plus ultra. They know how to win. They refuse to fail. They do not....make....mistakes.....ever! Please, step out from behind your laptops, teach us, lead us, save us, show us the way. Rise you flawless f*ckers. I am so proud of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

Big moments, big chances and they failed again. Interesting to see how the media fanboys paint this tomorrow. “Gallant Ireland, fall just short” or some such nonsense. Give it a rest, Scotland are allegedly 5th in the world and I doubt they’d win the Leinster Schools Cup.

And yet Ireland have never gone past the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

15 players on the team lad.

3/15 = 20%.

In fairness them 3 did very well. Maybe if we got a full squad of them we’d have some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Exactly, its a message board. And you'd think people might have something better to do than go trolling on a Saturday night. But clearly you don't. Maybe should try having one too many sometime, might make you tolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paidin Mhaire

I agree.

While it must be fantastic for this squad to have so many accomplished players from abroad participate, it does, at least for some of us dilute somewhat the degree to which we identity with the team.

• Advertisement

So what makes you think I’m trolling, I made a few valid points about Ireland’s loss and you think that’s trolling.

you’re obviously upset, as you just deemed to send me a disgusting PM that will get reported to the mods, maybe you lost money on the game, I don’t know, but it’s safe to say based on the content of the PM you just sent me, you have lot of anger issues.

What a lovely message you just sent to me there as a PM, what an upstanding citizen you are.

Your mother must be proud of you.

Will be blocking and reporting you, as anyone sending those kind of messages should be kicked off this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paidin Mhaire

So what ?

The point is international rugby is a charade. National rugby unions being allowed to recruit worldwide according to their specific needs/ player deficits. Got the cash ? Get the player !

Interestingly, in this WC the IRFU have proven to be undisputed world champions in foreign player recruitment. Our outstanding players in the SA game were, to a man non-nationals. Players without whom the team in green would have been soundly spanked.

Ha Ha that is funny, ye got me there fairplay, we’ll keep trying though and we won’t have to wait 4 years either.

You might be right, or as every good manager says you need a bit of luck going your way.

I remember the Bills in their 1st Super Bowl in 91 had a last second field goal to win it that hit the post and went wide, Mayo in one of their finals with Dublin scored 2 own goals in the one game, what were the odds of that in a game of Gaelic football.

Always felt Jack Charlton got the rub of the green during his reign as Ireland manager, certainly the seeding and selection of the different pools did Ireland no favours this time around, oh well there’s always 2027.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

So many terrible takes in this thread. We were a held up try away from a win. NZ press would have been full of the same overreactions as this thread, bemoaning their sloppy defense and stupid penalties.

Two moments defining the game, Jordan's try and the held up one. That's sport, it's **** cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Oh you're very special. All that passion.

S*** take, tbh. I'd wonder more about the type of person that takes the time to visit the discussion forums of a sport they don't respect in the wake of a significant defeat just to try and place themselves on some kind of imagined pedestal.

You do you though.

Your right 1950 & 51, 2 in a row I believe and then the curse struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

I haven't seen the game yet but that result was very disappointing, gutted for the lads that this is their last RWC and especially for Sexton & Earls, two huge servants for their province & country.

It seems we had lots of issues with scrum & lineout and then lost the kicking game. Very hard to win in those circumstances.

We played against 14 men for 20 mins and still came up short, that's unacceptable at this level.

I'm disappointed in Farrell not using Crowley, Sexton was clearly not 100% in the closing quarter and Farrell took a punt on him to try a catch a win after trailing all evening.

Another QF where we trail, gutting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

Crazy to think that the winning of this world cup may have hinged on Jordi Barrett holding up Ronan Kelleher.

Advertisement