Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup post mortem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

So he is effectively just playing European matches and internationals and keeping a younger player from getting their chance at the latter?

is that a good thing? For him yes, but for the greater good of Irish rugby? I’m not convinced it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sexton played 1 match in the Champions Cup last season and 1 match in the 21-22 season.

No, that is not the problem.

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ireland 100% rolled the dice and took a big risk on Sexton, his game time for Leinster was cut to almost nothing to reduce the risks. At 36/37/38, any major injury could have ended it all.

But it worked and we got away with it. We were even fortunate enough to be able to sub him early in our last pool game.

I don't think this was part of the problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Facthunt

I have a question….. There is a lot of agro going around saying Ireland disrespected the Hakka etc. Who actually gives New Zealand the go ahead to do it in the first place at the start of a game? Do they just think they have a given right to do it? Just curious …….

A) there is absolutely no aggro going around that Ireland disrespected the haka that I have seen

B) World Rugby

C) they are not the only ones who do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Facthunt

A) The agro is about us singing the Fields of Athenry while the Haka took place!

B) Ok

C) True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The haka is a revenue generator that's why it's allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

I haven't heard/read anything about pushback around singing over the haka, it happens so often that I thought people would be tired of pretending it is an issue.

Ultimately the Haka/Cibi/Sipi Tau/Sivi Tau are no less valid than an anthem as a cultural expression of nationhood. It's only because of western cultural dominance and/or our own cultural experience that we take an anthem as a default and the haka as an oddity. Besides, the haka was performed before an anthem was ever sung before an international rugby match. Hate it or love it, it is rugby heritage.

Edit: "The New Zealand 1905 touring team performed a haka before each match, leading Welsh Rugby Union administrator Tom Williams to suggest that Wales player Teddy Morgan lead the crowd in singing the Welsh National Anthem, Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, as a response. After Morgan began singing, the crowd joined in: the first time a national anthem was sung at the start of a sporting event."

It would be generous to call that "singing" the Fields. It was a general cacophony at best.

Still, I've genuinely not seen anyone moan about it, though I am sure there are always outliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,696 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Saw one click baity thing about the Haka, one of those 'They were outraged about what Ireland did....' FB posts and that was it.

I think NZ might be disappointed now if there was no reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Lots on facebook I have seen from NZ "fans" saying that Ireland disrespected it. I have a mate from NZ and he said nobody he knows seen it like that, it is a challenge and Ireland responded with the figure of 8 and fans signing

He said the Bok fans have sung during it for years and no issue. Seems like you seen similar to me, but it's just people get outraged for the sake of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

The figure of 8 to me suggested that Ireland were in fear of NZ and were hoping Axel Foley would come to their aid.

IMO the worldwide media have every right to go out and label Ireland as chokers and bottlers when it comes to the world cup. They should keep reminding them that when they go celebrate a win over NZ or Australia or SA going forward in an Autumn series, they should throw it out as a meaningless result and keep reminding them that these things dont matter until a QF world cup. Keep saying to the players that they are failures until they decide to wake up and decide we can't stand for this anymore and let's prove them wrong. That's what they should do next world cup and call them bottlers. If it hurts them enough they will have to do something to change it and actually perform in a game when it matters the most. We aren't no 1 and we will never be, let's stop fooling ourselves until we actually win the rugby world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

There are plenty of things we need to improve on, but my biggest gripe is a structural one for World Rugby.

We're now facing the 20 year anniversary since anyone other than NZ or SA lifted the World Cup trophy. One of those two teams will almost certainly now lift it this year. Over this time other teams have run them close but have always failed when it mattered. The competition is becoming so predictable in terms of outcome that it is approaching farcical levels.

With the only other teams to lift the Webb Ellis, Australia and England, arguably weaker than at any point in the past 20 years, and the remaining contenders no closer than ever in terms of results in the competition, World Rugby urgently needs to step in to engineer a move away from the duopoly that exists, be that through resourcing, development, rules changes, whatever. Otherwise the World Cup will soon start to feel a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Did u watch the game,the first converted penalty was 54th min.first 20-30min was try after try

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

So what u saying is change the rules to benefit teams that aren’t good enough to win a World Cup.u having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Not quite my meaning friend. The rules of rugby have always changed (tries were once 3pts, you used to have to feed a scrum straight, you once had to release the ball straight away once you hit the ground in the tackle, you couldn't lift in the lineout). Change rules and you offer chance to rebalance the game in a new direction that may favour some more than others.

Personally, I think it'd be better for World Rugby to achieve the ends through less invasive means like promotion and development, but I'm open to wider ideas to end NZ and SA dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The game desperately needs a new winner, it's massively embarrassing that the NH will (likely) only have 1 winner in 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

But the reality is that they're not currently 'dominant'. Tiny margins that could have gone the other way, and we'd have had 3 NH teams in the SFs. The top 4 teams are very close right now. And were it not for a skewed draw, all four probably would have been in the SFs.

Performances suggest that the gap has narrowed overall, even if the binary result, taken on its own, suggests otherwise. I wouldn't be rushing to make any major changes.

With the profile of France's squad, they could very conceivably dominate the next cycle, and with their player resources push beyond that.

While Ireland don't have the age profile in the current squad or the resources of France, the structures are excellent, with some exciting talent coming through. Let's see what this team can do in the next few years. I'm excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭thomas 123

We in the NH could start with a “B six nations” with promotion / demotion to the A 6 nations.

Romania, Georgia and Portugal had some great moments. Scotland and wales seem to be coming round and Italy have got better - add in a reason to win for everyone and they can only get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Foley died on 16th October in Paris. Game was 2 days before his anniversary and POM had talked about Foley when it was discussed about his 100th cap.

It was a mark of respect to a player and coach. Bit of an odd statement to make about the figure of 8.

Couldn't care less what the World media call Ireland. Honestly name calling Ireland rugby by other countries is hardly a new thing, memories of NZ coming to Ireland and not knowing a single player. Well they know every single member of the squad now dont they :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The problem with doing that is how to counter the monetary issues that would arise if any of the current 6 nations sides spent a year outside of the 6 nations. If Ireland did finish last and werent in the 6 nations for a year the IRFU would be f****d

We first of all need more games in July and November for every side not in the 6 nations and rugby championship against those sides.

Take Georgia/Romania. New Zealand/Australia could play a November test against them on way to playing the 6 nations sides in November

There has been a 6 nations B for years. Just it hasnt been any way connected to the 6 nations.

France assisted in creating FIRA when it got expelled from the 5 nations back in the 1930s. France got readmitted to 5 nations but continued to send sides to compete in the FIRA competitions.

Fira(now called rugby europe) has multiple divisions with promotion and relegation between each level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I don’t think it’s a problem, Welsh rugby was doing Super job of falling apart while in the six nations the last few years.

I for one don’t really care about test games, and I certainly would see absolutely no point in New Zealand coming up and battering Romania once a year or so and I don’t see how that would help develop Rugby in those countries.

Look at the Premiership and the championship relegation and promotion battles - they are massive for the clubs involved and very intersting for everyone into soccer.

I think growing rugby with an inclusive system would lead to some new clubs also who could go on to play in European competitions. Look at the Fiji club team playing in the super 15 as an example.

Surely the 6Ns could put in place financial guarantees for any team that got sent down to ensure that they weren't be left compromised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That only ensure yoyo effect of team going down coming straight back up

Slava Ukrainii

You wanted more games for sides outside the two top tournaments now dont want some of them.

You may not care much about test games but you cant just introduce promotion/relegation as way to improve other teams because that hurts the teams who get relegated as well. You have to look to other ways to help teams.

You cant compare things to soccer. the money, everything is completely different. There has only been fully national league in england in rugby since the mid to late 80s and it was 90s for clubs in ireland.

Also how is it not a problem.

That would be a likely occurrence anyway. Could be mitigated by expanding the competition to 8 teams, with 2 spaces for promotion. Get rid of the rest week, and have 1 extra weekend of games.

No chance of top 14/PRL agreeing to that though. Would countries agree to no rest week combined with 2 more games?

Money talks, I'm sure something could be figured out. Frankly Top 14 could do with being put back in their box some, their schedule **** up everyone else's

But why would they or should they be "put back in their box" when by and large the clubs financials are good or at least well managed/monitored?

Figured out how though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭vafankillar

saw the ireland vs new zealand game peaked at 1.5 million tv numbers. must be up there with the most watched sporting event in irish tv history? article i read said it was the biggest audience in tv 3/virgin medias history anyway

Advertisement