Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer, Three Arena, 10th June 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

Yeah you can't imagine big venues like 3arena allow crowd surfing stage diving etc.

Having said that some of the smaller venues like Whelans turn a blind eye to the stage diving and crowd surfing. Was at Kerbdog there before. Lads crowd surfing all night band were laughing at it mad night altogether.

Katie is a good musician in her own right but a musician needs something to do. Several songs last night she was able to wander around the stage smiling at the crowd. As you said if she's a keyboard player why not stay rooted to her keyboard? Strange to have a touring musician walking around the stage twilling their thumbs.

3 guitars, there was 4 on stage last night and 5 at one point I shyt you not!

Billy/James/Kiki/Katie acoustic

and during Tonight tonight there was a session musician fella in the far right in the shadows played some fill in licks he never came to the front of stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Could really do with a screen in the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Musically it’s hard to see what Kiki brings to the band. I get that she’s still only new but there seemed times when she didn’t know what she was doing. Last night was my first time seeing the Pumpkins live despite being a fan for nearly 30 years (Christ) and I had no idea that they had Katie Cole touring with them, my guess was that she is there to sing some of the female backing vocals that D’Arcy used to do.

Overall thought it was a really good gig. Obviously the newer stuff isn’t a patch on the classics and it was noticeable how quickly the bars and toilets got busy when they’d play something off the new album. Highlights for me were Mayonaise, Rhinorceros, Jellybelly, Bullet, Today, Cherub Rock. Didn’t see the point in playing Zoo Station, it could have been replaced by one of their own like I Am One. Jimmy Chamberlin remains an incredible drummer, I spent most of the gig just watching him in awe.

Kiki brings sex appeal and a kind of 'metal edge' to some of the lead guitar parts but that kind of leaves James hanging on a few songs with little to do when usually a bands lead guitarist is their busiest person! Kiki was a hell of a lot busier than Katie last night however. As touring musicians go Katie is along for the free ride.

As for people going to the bar etc, I don't get that. Can't people stay put for 2 hours anymore no especially when this was a expensive gig. I paid €107 for standing and many of the good seated tickets were €200/300 euro a pop. Don't get people spending that money to be standing at a bar or urinal for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Yeap. It'll stick with me for life. It must have been horrible for them as a band. We did ourselves no favours as fans that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Not mentioned yet. Best PA/Walk-in music ever.

Close to the Edge by Yes. The whole album.

Maybe that's just me.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Fanirish

just Mcd being cheap last night and not paying for one to be installed

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Should the venue not get it as a permanent feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Fanirish

no, most bands touring arenas nowadays bring their own custom screens/display set up and house screens would just get in the way. Or promoter/artist just rent boy standard ones for specific shows when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Yeah, great gig. Weezer were excellent. I only knew a few of their tunes but they really hit it out the park and must have crammed in nearly 20 tunes. Cuomo is an amazing guitarist too and I thought the crowd interaction was actually really good - getting folk to sing along etc. Great to hear Buddy Holly too - still have the single after all these years…!

SP were awesome….at times. As others have said, it dipped a bit when they played less well known material but it is what it is. The classics were superb. 1979 is just about perfect but Mayonnaise was great as was Rhinocerous (brings me back to Dave Fanning playing it loads back in the day) and a privilege to hear Cherub Rock in all its glory…!

Yep Weezer 20 songs to be exact. They get on with it, are quite stoic on stage which I love. I hate when bands have gimmicks or are talking shyte to the crowd. Just get on with it and bang through the tunes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Both bands seem to have had around 20-25 songs at each of their gigs, befitting their dual headliner status :) Though obviously Weezer’s songs are brief power pop quick hits for the most part so their set was 75 mins, versus the often sprawling scope of quite a few Pumpkins songs which brought it up to 120! They fit in a couple of extra in too though going by set list, bringing it up to 24 (I’m not counting happy birthday 😂)

Though I think Weezer’s set was as perfectly paced a rock set as I’ve seen. Even the songs I don’t personally like are pretty big hits for them, and there are few better opening songs anywhere than My Name Is Jonas. Whereas IMO it took until Today for the SP set to take off, and then was still quite stop start at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Ha. When she sang solo I had flashbacks of Fleetwood mac.

Highlight for me was Iha's solo guitar during Ava Adore and chamberlin's drumming throughout. Outstanding.

Can someone answer me a question.

Why does Kiki not play on tonight tonight and they have a random session musician do a fair bit of the main parts off that song? I find it strange, it's not that she can't play or learn the song so why does she leave the stage for it?

The mystery guitarist for tonight tonight circled

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Last time weezer played the point, (just under 20 years ago now) they had rivers leave the stage and emerge I cant remember in the back of the crowd or in the seats. Literally the only thing I remember from the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

enjoyed the smashing pumpkins, one the best drumming performances i've ever seen. Corgan has an imposing stage presence which i didn't expect, i dint releasee he was so tall. Weezer were ok, i thought the sound was poor up to say it ain't so.

If you like powerhouse drummers check out Neil Peart (RIP) of Rush. Surprisingly Rush were a big influence on Billy Corgan when he was a young lad. Apparently this drum kit Peart use to use cost several hundred thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Can we stop the music talk for a second and have a moment of reflection on how good the aircon in the point was last night. I had to put on my jumper while standing in the middle of the crowd for weezer as I was cold ! I normally find venues sweat boxes.

Back to the music, really enjoyed the bands. I was surprised how good the pumpkins were, it was my 3rd time seeing them, I was expecting Billy's voice to be shite, but he sounded like he did 28 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,380 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A very enjoyable night

Not sure how long Teen Mortgage played for, got in just after 18.40 expecting to hear some songs but nope all over

Weezer was the main reason I went and truly enjoyed the set. The opening few notes of 'my name is jonas' is a bit spine tingling. 'Hash Pipe', 'Buddy Holly' and the cover of 'celebrity skin' other highlights. A bit of a guitar masterclass for parts too. Did we get a bit of 'Thin Lizzy' ?? . Rivers has a very odd but oddly attractive stage presence 😄

Pumpkins we're great and the setlist was paced well. 'Tonight Tonight' was spectacular as was 'Today', 'Disarm' and 'Spellbinding'. Rather meh about 'the kids on stage' stuff but every memeber of the band delivered. Looking forward to seeing them again at Mad Cool

Wasn't a major production by any means and one of the rare gigs with no 'big screens' etc. The lights were cool

Take back about Block P been good value. The views were grand but people been people constantly up and down, coming in mid may through Weezer trying to find there seats and a really pissed off staff memeber standing at the glass part for almost the full Smashing Pumpkins set

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think the main problem in 1996 from my point of view was people from seating were able to come down to the standing area unimpeded which meant there were too many people in standing combined with no barriers/pit resulting in a crush at the front. It was a failure of crowd management.

Of course the line from the promotors (repeated by the media) was blaming fans for "Moshing and Crowd Surfing" and warnings posted on tickets from then on, but really blaming fans was well out of order, its up to the promoters to put on a safe gig and they should have taken more responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

there was no screen for their London show either. Seems to be their choice for this tour. I was ok as im a decent height but my wife barely saw anything

Gig was fantastic though, more of a Pumpkins fan but thought Weezer was superb as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I think the barriers went up as a result of that incident, they were not in place on the night.

I was at that gig, there was no crowdsurfing to be done since you couldn't even move it was so packed and tight. It most definitely had nothing to do with drink or drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Billy has joined the priesthood has he, what was he wearing a priests tunic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

In the minority here but I thought Weezer were incredibly dull n pedestrian

Sounded like a soundtrack to a 00s Springbreak coming of age type movie a lá American Pie. Half expected Stifflers mom to make an appearance

But I'm not a fan, last night confirmed that and as I said I was in the minority as most folks seemed to enjoy it

Though SP were superb, Billy was in flying form channelling his inner rock god. James Iha & Jimmy C delivered too. My first time to see SP and having near enough original line up on stage was the main draw for me.

Sound was great, good decent volume too. Didn't miss the screens, I liked the minimal-ish production, keeps focus on the music

Set list had peaks n troughs for me but I wouldn't have been familiar with about 30% of it

But the closing parting shots of Cherub Rock n Zero were worth price of admission alone

As for bringing his kids out, children have no place on stage at a rock show unless they're being sacrificed to the Gods Of Rock

And is no one going to mention the 8-feckin-Euros a pint!!! Jaysus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

There was loads of crowd surfing that night, people were crowd surfing before the support band filter even came on stage. The barriers were there at alright. They were shaped like a wide n with the top part being about 4 feet off the ground. People were climbing on them and jumping onto the crowd. As said above I think the main cause was that alot of people with seated tickets came down to the standing section.

They blamed the crowd? That's disgusting like the Stardust tragedy blaming the victims, the owners saying it was arson for decades never ever admitting to the fact their 'nightclub' was a glorified oven with zero health and safety features.

I remember the old point being a bit of a death trap itself.

I've been at maybe 50 gigs in my life with crowd surfing and moshing and never an incident at them.

The incidents is usually down to over crowding and highly irresponsible venue managers allowing way too many people into a small area at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I didn’t think Weezer were great. The big singles were good but I agree with you, a lot of their music is very samey - naughties ere frat-boy stuff

Crowd surfing before the support act is hardcore. Sounded like a bonkers crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Was at the gig last night. Wouldn't be a big fan of either but my friend had a spare ticket. I thought it was a cracking gig.

Weezer were really good. Took 2/3 songs for the sound to get sorted. Credit to the crowd, the arena was largely full at 7:15. Great to see. Recognised more songs than I thought I would.

I thought the SP were brilliant. Again, 2/3 songs before the sound was sorted and after that it was 100%. It was a joy to see a band playing with 3 loud guitars going at it. I was watching it thinking "what I wouldn't give to see Radiohead play the The Bends live in full".

I would only have known the more popular songs but they were all class. I think Tonight Tonight was my favourite. I thought that song Spellbinding was brilliant as well. Jimmy Chamberlain did a solo towards the end of ZooStation (I think) and it blew me away. Amazing to see that level talent and skill!

I enjoyed seeing BC with his kids on stage. Life is too short to be whinging about that stuff. I can't get over the amount of young people who were at it with parents. I was incredibly jealous of those parents! I think it's the first time in my life I felt "middle aged" (43).

Still can't get over the size of Billy Corgan. He's a big man!

I was surprised there was no screen but I do wonder was my experience all the better but for it? In fairness to the Point, while you might be a bit away there's no really a bad view upstairs. As someone else alluded to above, air con was great too!

Certainly one of the more memorable concerts I've been to in recent years.

Advertisement