Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time as a contractor/temporary worker - misled a bit

• 16-10-2023 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

So, I applied for a job in a particular organisation - and someone else in that org came across my CV, reached out and asked me to apply for a totally different role. He said it was permanent, pension - all the bells and whistles - I was ready to move on from my last role so went for it. Got the job and again, mentions of pension, bonus, health insurance etc. Then this kind of throw away remark about how my contract would have the name of a third party agency on it and it would be quoted as an hourly rate......eventually it became clear this was a contractor/temporary role. The role will apparenty (but nowhere in writing) become permanent after 12 months in. i'd already invested massively in the process, presentations and interviews so I took it.

My contract, which is not really a contract is with the third party agency and states that the agreement can be terminated with one weeks notice at any time. This, in thoery was OK for me. But in reality has led to me being far more agreeable to everything than I should be and feeling massively insecure about my job. I genuinely think some of the decisions my manager makes are completely outraegous and really not in the best inerest of the business and I just kind of nod, and tell him everything is wonderful.... While I'm doing great there - who knows what could happen tomorrow, if my direct line manger left for example - that would be me gone too.

The thing is, my direct line manager, while we get on and I like him (this is the same person who told me about all the benefits and played down the contractor piece) is the most disorganised person I have ever met and he is the one tasked with signing off my timesheets every week. He's on annual leave at the moment and i can see that he has not authorised anyone else to do this in his absense, so I will not get paid this week. This is the first time this will have happened, but i've fully expected it was going to at some stage.

In addition to this he keeps saying I'll have my probation at 6 months in and will ace it, i'm so confused by this, why would he bother putting me through a probation when I will still just be a temporary worker with no rights on the other side of that for another 6 months.

This is a big and well known organisation and the role is fab for my CV - I've always been pretty good at staying places, my CV is strong, but this whole situation (that I admittedly signed up to) is really getting to me. I feel like I cant walk out after a few months only as it will look terrible on my CV like a big dirty black mark.....but I'm struggling to navigate things and almost on self-respect level feel like I need to leave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,055 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Job hunt.

If anyone asks just say they weren't actually able to offer a permanent contract as originally planned, and that's what you're looking for.

For any sort of decent job, having you on weekly temping (not monthly) - and with a payroll delay if one person is away - is ridiculous. I'd bet my hat that it won't made permanent after 12 months either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭dazzler101

Sounds like the HSE. could you contact the recruitment/third party and ask them about the situation? I'm sure they have been through this before and then you could also explain the timesheet situation to make sure you do get pad for the week you work.

Advertisement