Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using different power block?

Options
  • 16-10-2023 5:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’ve misplaced the power cable for a digital piano (it has a circular connection on the device end and a block plug on the other).

I’ve found another plug that fits it, but before I actually try I wanted to see what needs to match in terms of power in to in order to avoid doing damage.

Both are 12V output - but should other things like the mA, wattage etc match too…

I’m probably better off just getting a replacement but also sure I’ll find the original the minute I do that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

The power adapter needs to have the same polarity (+/-) as the original, and be able to supply at least as much current. Do you have pictures of the power input of your piano and of the power adapter?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

This is the what the internet tells me is the power block for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

What is on the power supply plug your found?

The 'plug' you found could well be 12V AC , which you cannot use, (if it was for 12V lights) or DC, so post what is on that also ...

If polarity (+/-) is wrong way round it could cause damage,,,,

This is one of the two I found (don’t have a picture of the other).

If says 15.3V on the sticker but as you can see it says 12v at the bottom and has a label on the wire with 12v on it too… not sure why that’s the case!

Or if it’s incompatible for other reasons…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The Black and decker doesn't deliver enough current and is the wrong voltage.

Don't use.

• Advertisement

Cheers!

I’ll try to find the other one and see if I’ve any better luck

This is the other one that fits… if I’m reading it right I don’t think it’s a go-er either but good to know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

This one should be ok. The polarity is fine, and it is 12V x 3A, which is more powerful than the original, so that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Agreed, will be fine on the Yamaha piano. I've a p-115 here with the same power supply.

Ah great… it having more power doesn’t mean there’s a risk of it burning something out, does it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, not really, only of there is a fault in the product. Its not a concern as it should be fused internally and Yamaha are a reliable brand.

Advertisement