Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Swedish Football Fans killed by Arabic speaking gunman in Brussels - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ISIS inspired terror attacks are not one-off stories to be swept under the carpet so noone would notice.

Should this one also from yesterday be swept under the carpet as well? It wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

If you're not entering a country with prior permission to enter. Sounds like you want to remove borders. This ain't the wild West.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've arrived in countries without prior permission. I went to France this summer on a boat and at no point was I asked to get permission from immigration to arrive there. I was in Switzerland a few weeks ago and it was the same - no obligation to get permission to arrive there (although trying to arrive by boat might have been difficult!).

However, you've still not shown us how these boats are arriving illegally - can you not define the specific law being broken and if not then how do you know they are arriving illegally?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭CrazyEric

You did have permission though. We have international treaties with various countries which allow us to travel between them. If you are on an unregistered vessel of any description attempting to enter a country without the necessary permissions then what you are doing is illegal.

I suspect you already know this though.

My point is that you don't need permission to arrive. You need permission to stay. So this notion of turning back the boats is a load of populist bigoted crap spouted by bigots!

• Advertisement

If boats from another continent full of economic migrants isn't illegal then it should be. Just shows how backwards EU law is. You get shot in some countries for less.

Now I'm not advocating that but I advocating every single boat is turned around or when it lands everyone transported back. Otherwise you just encourage more which suits the human traffickers.

Btw you just described free travel within the EU. It's exactly why the perimeter need's to be secured. It's far too easy for people to travel within when they shouldn't even be here in the first place.

If boats from another continent full of economic migrants isn't illegal then it should be. Just shows how backwards EU law is. You get shot in some countries for less.

So, glad to see that you're agreeing with me that what you previously posted was completely incorrect

Now I'm not advocating that but I advocating every single boat is turned around or when it lands everyone transported back. Otherwise you just encourage more which suits the human traffickers.

Blah blah blah. Would you stop with the bigoted nonsense?

Btw you just described free travel within the EU. It's exactly why the perimeter need's to be secured. It's far too easy for people to travel within when they shouldn't even be here in the first place.

I also described travel to a non-EU country. Regardless, the same rule applies and my point was to point out to you that parroting the sh1te that the Tories shout about sending the boats back is all a load of ignorant bigoted bo11ocks!

Honestly, it certainly seems that some people seem to be wetting themselves with excitement whenever a murder is committed by an islamic fundamentalist within a population of ~450,000,000 people as they get another opportunity to say how them foreigners should all be sent home because...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Who commits all of these terrorist attacks ? Is it Mormons? May be a minority but it’s still something that has to be considered. To ignore that is to do major disservice to the victims.

ireland has let in thousands of illegals from algeria and Somalia over the past two years. Both countries well known for radicalism - our major terrorist attack is in the post. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How do you let in an illegal? Don't you have to go through a process after claiming asylum? Nitpicking here but you're not illegal in that case.

You are trying to tar all members of a religion to terrorist events committed by individuals who are members of that religion but acting without the support of that religion. It would be similar to saying that it was the Irish that kept shooting British soldiers in NI and planted bombs in Britain.

In terms of Ireland letting in "thousands of illegals from...", again they have not been let in illegally. Look back at what you've actually said: how exactly can someone be here illegally if we let them in? They are either allowed in (and therefore here legally) or in the immigration system (and therefore here legally). If someone's application to stay here is declined then they are deported. It's actually a fairly simple concept to understand.

So, maybe you can tell us how exactly we have let in thousands of people illegally. I'm assuming that like earlier bigoted posts, this is more ill-thought-through nonsense spouted because it makes your bigoted views sound as if they have some kind of actual merit (which clearly they don't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭Cordell

TBH it's tiresome to hear time and time again after every terrorist attack that kills innocent civilians that it's not the religion nor the culture. Then wtf it is? It clearly is the religion and the culture that fosters and encourage this hatred of westerners that leads to these attacks and no amount of denial will change it. All recent terrorist attacks in Europe were either islamic or far right extremists. When will we start to threat one like the other?

You're the type of do gooder that got Europe into this mess. Thankfully your time is coming to an end and there is a new mindset taking over in Europe.

Btw if you travel to a non EU country and they don't require a visa/passport or whatever you're saying that's the right of that country.

Europeans don't want that especially when it means a boat with 300 men landing in Spain and disappearing all over Europe. It's not safe for them to travel like that initially hence why so many die at illegal traffickers expense and the average European wants less of these immigrants who's contributions and ability to sufficiently integrate becomes more questionable by the year.

Whatever quota of immigrants Europe wants can easily be filled through legal means and from whatever cultures we deem most compatible with ours. For example someone with a qualification and no criminal record in their home country such as Nigeria or Georgia applying for a visa. Getting a job, getting accepted and then being let in. Like I said this ain't the wild west and we don't want it to be either.

Europeans have the right to a controlled and safe society. There's a reason Poland is now the safest country in Europe despite letting in millions of refugees. The powers that be know what's up and don't want to hurt their citizens at the expense of this weird outdated globalism.

Ok so what you're also saying is that all terrorist activities made by people belonging to other religions was amde by those religions. Is that right or is it just Islam that you have a grudge against?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Islam no more that I'm a fan of Christianity or any other religion. But to suggest that the religion is driving terrorism is simply you making stuff up to suit whatever prejudices you choose to hold!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mere 23000 potential jihadis across the pond in the UK. I'll take your 99.99% with a large dollop of salt ta.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/huge-scale-of-terror-threat-revealed-uk-home-to-23-000-jihadists-3zvn58mhq

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hilarious, what an argument - paddy is so thick to take in thousands of lads that bin their passport that they are not illegal.

What percentage of those whose application is declined are deported?

Your bigoted views- if it's all you got, it's all u got n it'll have to do Seth.

I do have a grudge against Islam and I'm quite unapologetic about it. It is mostly caused by the fact that 9/10 terrorist attacks in Europe are being done by people of this religion so a natural conclusion would be that there is something particularly wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

how is someone legally claiming asylum, whether they have identification or not, illegal?

You need permission to arrive. The main route into Ireland for the Africans is to travel to Britain legally and enter the Republic via Northern Ireland which is Illegal. They then pretend they have lost their passports and claim Asylum for many various reasons, most of which are false.

The likes of the Syrians who are fleeing war and persecution are coming here legally through refugee programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

That's very reassuring. Only a small percentage of them are intent on mass murder! I would fully agree that most Muslims come to Europe to make a better life for themselves and their families. But I think a fairly significant minority of them remain wedded to the deeply misogynistic, homophobic, and violent ways of their homelands. We wouldn't expect a Muslim in Europe to accept the mocking of their religion (and they shouldn't have to) but we ask them to accept the celebration of LGBT culture (something that may be illegal in their homelands). Just because someone moves to Europe, it does not mean they are ready or willing or able to accept "European Values". We have had countless attacks on churches, violent reactions to the burning of holy books, and a disproportionate involvement in criminality and sexual assaults. I just fail to see what's in it for native Europeans? It's certainly not all Muslims but enough to mean that we will have huge problems in the future. 

The tragedy of the Brussels shooting last night is that it has become almost normalised. Radicalised Muslim goes on killing spree and is killed by police. And we all move on. And eventually people in desperation will turn to deeply unpleasant political parties (who they would never consider voting for in normal times). This is all a bit dystopian and sure maybe "it will all be grand"!

If you disagree with the process then discuss that with your TDs.

Your previous make your bias quite clear for us to see. Your bias isn't caused by anything other than you!

No, you need permission to stay. There is no law stopping someone arriving here on an inflatable craft and landing on the likes of Bull Island. If they wish to stay here then they must follow the correct immigration channels. This has already been made clear. Waffling on about the UK (who claim to have taken back control of their borders yet have walked away from pan-european border agreements) does nothing for your argument unless you are seeking to have a physical border erected on this island (which nobody wants excepting some NI bigots)

• Advertisement

You’re more concerned about nit picking than Ireland’s security. I’m not to bother arguing about if some chancer from a safe country flies in and claims asylum is illegal or legal. At the end of the day we are letting in a lot of people from dodgy countries and many will be radicalised. Do you really think it’s the cream of the crop of those countries flying in from France and Germany and claiming asylum ?

the Belgian attacker was guess what …. A North Africa failed asylum seeker washing around Europe. In case you haven’t noticed that’s what I’m talking about !

You are being pedantic now so let's play that game..... we have immigration laws and if you land on Bull Island contrary to those laws then that is illegal, you can apply for asylum after the fact but that doesn't mean that it wasn't illegal at the time of landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Swiss Government are warning it's citizens not to be wearing their countries football shirts when travelling out of the country as they are in danger of being attacked or worse by certain ethnic groups.

All because some in their country were filmed burning the Koran.

The religion of peace, lmfao.

Can you please tell us the piece of legislation that says landing a craft on the likes of Bull Island is illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Where does the “religion of peace” label come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I’d say us Europeans at this stage of the races, should be taking notes from Israel on how to deal with these terrorists.

No one knows, not even themselves. You know, if this religion is one of peace, then its extremists would have to be extremely peaceful, right? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭maik3n

It's a paraphrasing of something that comes from our old friend George W Bush.

The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam.  That's not what Islam is all about.  Islam is peace.  These terrorists don't represent peace.  They represent evil and war.

It has of course morphed into a bit of an ironic meme in certain quarters now. 🤐

• Advertisement

See, I knew this would be your tactic next. Make a statement, when someone disagrees ask them for proof of their assertion without actually proving your original claim. Predictable all the way.

S.I. No. 473/2014 - Immigration Act 2004 (Visas) Order 2014.

Advertisement