Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive devices connected but Boiler won't fire

Options
  • 17-10-2023 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I have a Hive hub, Thermostat and Receiver. From the the app on my phone all 3 devices are connected and none are showing any warning/error lights.

However, when I try to turn the heating on the boiler does not start. There are no error messages on the boiler or the Hive receiver. The Hive app says its heating.

I have tried from the app, the thermometer and the receiver with no luck.

I have a combi Weissman boiler which is supplying hot water as normal.

The heating worked perfectly last year.

Any ideas?

John

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! Do you have any manual thermostats and if so are they all up high? Do you hear it click at the controller by the boiler when you kick it off via the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Johnfkm

Hi,

No manual thermostats.

I hear it click on the Receiver once I turn it on and the solid green light comes on. In the Hive app its telling me its heating.

I should hear the boiler firing up at this stage but it doesn't

I was going to suggest calling for hot-water (by running a tap at the same time once the relay has clicked), but I don't know how that really works on a combi... Does anything change if you do try that?

Can you see your zone valves, are they lighting up when the heating is called by the Hive?

No change when I run the hot tap. The boiler fires up and I get hot water as expected.

I'm not sure where the zone valves are. I'm assuming on the boiler?

No, should be around the boiler or around hot-press (if you have one). Will look like one of these:

• Advertisement

I don't see any similar valves to what you posted. See above

I assume yellow is the shut-off and black is the filling loop

Do you have any zones, or is the house-heating just one zone? If you do have zones then the valves are in the direction of the pipes pointing upwards on the left.

I don't have any zones.

Do you think it's related to some of the valves in the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's the pressure reading ? Even though I have a Viessman combi boiler myself, I don't know it displays any errors if the pressure is too low, but it could be they it doesn't and just refuses to start if it's too low.

Pressure is at 1.2 and goes up to 1.6 when hot tap running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Marian Hritov

Hi folks,

I have the same issue johnfkm does. My boiler though is Worcester Bosch. I have separate central heating ang hot water cycles operated by Myson MPE222 valves. I have been using the system with Hive thermostat with no issue for about 6 years but a week ago when I turn on the central heating on Hive then the receiver light turns on solid but boiler doesn’t ignite. If I turn on the hot water cycle then boiler ignites and heats both the hot water and rads. Very odd. The myson valves seem to work properly. The pressuse is 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

I don't know if my comment below is fully relevant - I don't have a HIVE remote controller.

In brief, system is oil burner and boiler in garage. Circulation pump is there also. Two zone system, hot water storage cylinder and/or radiators is heated. There are two electrically powered valves (Myson?) in roof space where the pipework to/from the boiler enters the house.

Each valve has a microswitch in its motor module. Each valve is switched by way of room or water cylinder thermostat and by an overall on/off switch for each. The valve microswitch contacts close when the valve is powered to be in the open state.

The system is wired so that the burner is activated (subject to the water in the boiler being below about 70C) when one (or both simultaneously) valve microswitches are activated. The switch contacts are wired in parallel - the logical OR configuration.

So if the burner fires only when domestic hot water is enabled and demanded, chances are that fault is with the air/room thermostat or with the microswitch in the valve in the radiator heating circuit or with the motor in that valve.

Hope this helps. Enjoy fault finding!

Advertisement