Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He shared his DBC - what is that?

Options
  • 17-10-2023 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Ok, seriously. Went for coffee yesterday with a couple of colleagues. One of them saw a friend and asked him to join us. This guy started talking about an event he attended last year. Blah, blah, and then he mentions how someone shares his DBC and they got in touch, and blah the power of networking. (Here I'll point out that at first, I thought he said TBC so I got even more confused.) Anyway, this thing was mentioned one more time down the road, and from the context, I just couldn't figure out what it was. No one else seemed to wonder so I didn't feel like asking, I mean, clearly people from my industry know what a DBC is. Curious as I am, of course, I used the first opportunity to google it. Only to get discouraged seeing this abbreviation has like 80 meanings on top of the first result (decibel, obviously). Can't say I scrolled through all of them, honestly. I tried with "share DBC" - some stocks and DBC CAN files (??). So guys, risking to truly understand the meaning of "curiosity killed the cat" by getting roasted here if it's something super obvious, I have to ask - what can this be?? 😑

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭gipi

Digital Business Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭scottygee

I was about to say the same, it must be a Digital Business Card (or e-business card, same thing). I actually made one fairly recently, I asked here on boards if I should fully switch to digital or print a small number of traditional ones too (which is what I eventually did). They are quite handy to have and common in many industries (not sure what yours is). Great for networking events or remote meetings, plus you can update any info you want - no need for reprinting like with the traditional one. In case your curiosity makes you wonder how to create a digital business card, the process is quite straightforward, you can check it out (of course, this is for the one I used, but that's more or less how it goes for all solutions). And you see what fine people we are, no roasting or anything 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭noahungry

Digital business card. Of course. Nice. I knew it would be something obvious, but my brain refused to cooperate. And yeah, my next step would be exactly that - to see what it can do and how to make one. And then you'll see me procrastinate for a year before I actually go ahead and do it, but that's another story. Thanks, guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks for this. I’ve been thinking about something like a DBC for a while but only now looked into it. They’re mostly subscription-based. I’m assuming free DBCs come with the added message from whoever is providing the service.

Surely, in this day and age, there’s a way to send your mobile number to another phone without having to input the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Clearly few here are old enough to remember their predecessors! DBCs are just a re-invent of the BBC – the bootable business card. These were around in the pre-dotcom bust days, late 1990’s, a regular sized / rectangular business card with 2 rounded sides that was cut from a CD and surface printed with regular info. They also contained a few (40?) MB of data, containing links, product details, brochure, etc. It was cool to have them at the time, you were nobody at Comdex without them back in the day. They lost popularity due to fears of malware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement