Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slurry Additives

• 17-10-2023 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Anyone ever use any of these Slurry Additives and have a noticeable result even if it was just easier agitating.

I looked into them late last Spring but i think they were all recommending that it is best if used at housing time so that it is working away all winter long etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We added it last autumn. Absolutely no difference, possibly harder to mix but that could just be imagined.

The rep rang today and said I was only customer to have a poor experience. I suggested he send out a complementary pack to try again but he wasn’t having any of it.

ive great faith in the power of microbes, take them every day myself. This just didn’t work at all for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭epfff

I used last year.

Seen no difference.

Took lazy option when adigating because I believed no crust would have formed and received cheap education as only 1 didn't surrive.

I believe in science. But think hiring young lad to draw in water for day is money better spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well I believe in them but kinda not for easier agitate.

I made up my own addition of jadam natural solution and then added just about 40 litres of molasses before agitation.

The result..

The slurry rose like sourdough. This would be fungal yeast action.

It was thicker to my mind after doing so too. Needed water which I've never had to do with the tank (outdoor). Grass grew better than before or since with slurry but it may have made the grass slightly sour to eat. Maybe higher in Nitrogen.

I used a concoction of commercial bugs the previous year. It may have been slightly easier agitate but definitely less to no smell when spreading or agitating.

Cardinal rules are make a hole and pour in below the crust and no dairy washings in the tank.

Possibly dosing stock with dewormers may have a negative effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Was thinking of using some of them additives on one tank in particular that i always have difficulty agitating to get it moving.from what’s being said above it seems them products are a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Look up Lactic acid Bacteria. I see from a few different sources that it makes a difference in slurry.

Go with looking to make to your own batch. If you have a fish tank heater or milk heater you'd be able to do it. Some even without the heater just takes longer.

Lactic acid bacteria would be both aerobic and anaerobic so would be able to work below and above the crust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭fulldnod

Tried 2 different types last year, both usless

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Useless , waste of money. Tried them a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Good loser

I threw in a handful of earthworms a number of times. No noticeable effect. (notice the e in the middle!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Jb1989

See a lot of maggot type boys in the tank every year In summer. , their bound to be a help

Advertisement