Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg patch during winter months

Options
  • 17-10-2023 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Usually I just cover it with mulched up hedge cuttings and gradually dig in over the winter. Have read that people cover up with plastic sheeting to prevent weed growth and nutrients being washed away over the winter but I've never bothered, my digging over anyway seems to keep the weeds at bay, wish I could say the same about slugs.

It's just a small plot in a suburban garden, wondering what others here do?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

bit late now but some folk grow something like clover to maintain ground cover and then its dug in in spring as added nutrients

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I usually try to dig in some seaweed and then cover with black plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

Mine is no-dig so I mulch it with whatever I have to hand (homemade compost, rotten hay, fallen leaves) as the various beds are cleared and just plant through it in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Got chard, kale and broccoli plants to put out on some of it and will put some garlic on other parts. Some of the chard, broccoli, kale and some other crops are already in place but been waiting for some of last years crops to finish before putting out the rest and will allow some other self seeded non vegetable plants to continue growing on some parts to just provide ground cover. These should grow away slowly unless there is a very severe winter and if any spaces appear from things being killed off I'll add some manure/used horse bedding as a mulch to these parts.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Samson1

I cover mine too, two functions, keeps the weeds at bay & stops nutrients being washed away. the rolls of sheeting are re-usable, roll up and put away. They have done me for 7 winters now and still in perfect condition. Mypex. https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/mypex-landscape-fabric-2m-wide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

I grow quite a bit of winter veg. so I mulch around the bigger things (Brussels Sprouts, purple sprouting broccoli, kale and winter cabbage) and just top-up the paths beside the leeks, parsnips, chard etc. with wood chip. I prepped my garlic bed at the weekend but I haven't managed to plant them yet.

Advertisement