Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admission to public hospital admitting doctor unable to order requisite diagnostics so I discharge m

Options
  • 17-10-2023 11:11pm

My own experience. Treated in-patient for a pelvic abscess over 3 weeks ago, pain pattern changed, re admitted last night but doctor said she has been denied request for CT scan to see what’s going on, and that maybe over next days she could have me transferred as public patient to associated private hospital where I could have scan and treatment. 

Spent almost 24 hours with only 2 small cups of water as I was allegedly “fasting” for a scan that wasn’t to take place. Not a good idea for an ileostomy patient like me who loses on average an extra daily litre of fluid and who was advised about a notably declining kidney function. No IV fluids given. 

I told doctor I was wasting time and was discharging myself and would seek care elsewhere. She agreed that if she were in my shoes she would do the exact same and did not blame me for one minute for being annoyed and upset. She said in the public hospital doctors are working with hands tied behind their backs, and that when they can get to admit patients to the adjacent private hospital, still as a public patient, they have the freedom to order requisite tests and where patients receive excellent care. As things stand now I am lucky now to be getting to see a highly experienced private gynae tomorrow. 

To me it is extraordinary how a public hospital will afford to keep patients in very expensive holding pens (ie. beds) yet won’t afford diagnostics. I am sure I’m one of very many who has experienced this kind of phenomenon that amounts to bed blocking. 

Advertisement