Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous prisoner on the loose over a week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

He must be extremely dangerous if he was kept in an open prison…probably even kicked a flower pot on the way out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Calling it an escape from an open prison is a joke, the gates are wide open and they can leave at any stage in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"The prolific offender is currently serving a six-year jail term over a home invasion during which he threatened to kill a family including two young children."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

You do realise that there hundreds if not thousands of people with hundreds of convictions (many of which are for violent crime) walking the streets of our cities everyday... most of which have never seen the inside of a prison cell

like, in other news "water is wet"

Criminal justice system here is a joke the whole way though (Garda, Legal council, Judges, DPP, Prisons, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

His pic here

Mod Snip - That was his accomplice in the Donegal crime, not him. I've removed the image to avoid confusion

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,397 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's rare in Ireland to release photographs of wanted people. Experience suggests that this is counterproductive; the police gets lots of reports about people who look vaguely like the photograph but who, on investigation, are not the person they are looking for. But all these reports have to be investigated, which diverts resources that could be deployed in more efficient ways of tracking down the fugitive (monitoring the fugitive's family, associates, known haunts, etc.)

Ireland being Ireland, it's pretty hard to disappear. A fugitive who wants to not be found in fairly short order has to leave the country PDQ, in which case circulating photographs off him (other than to port officials) is not much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It’s unbelievable that he only got 6 years for that crime, what will it take to get proper sentencing in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Can we get some kind of prison labor program going for the 100+ convictions crew.

I realise therea a conflict of interest when it comes to prison labor, where the govt may use it to backdoor slavert, but at 100+ convictions that danger is removed.

From what Ive seen of Japans prisons its the norm, if you go inside you can expect a 5am start and a long day of regimented tedious production work.

I dont expect they have 100+ers walking around the streets. Few months of that sht you learn your lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

He doesn't look like he'll be splitting the atom any time soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You'd have companies taking advantage of the "free" labour, hard working people would lose their jobs and would have their wages driven down. You would also, as a member of the labour force, be competing for a job with a criminal who will do it for free. Non flier in this country. We are not an industrialized nation and are certainly incomparable to Japan who have a population of over 125 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Open and prison are not exactly words that are well suited to each other…

you wouldn’t go to a dry swimming pool… so what the fück is the point of an open prison ?

If he’s caught and sent back to the open prison I’m emigrating. That’ll be all I can put up with for bad decisions in Ireland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Wont happen, if they "escape" from an open prison then when they are caught they go back to a proper prison to finish out their sentence and I believe that the cannot get a move back to an open prison again.

How was he even allowed in the first place is beyond me. I think anyone could’ve told them he was gonna leave

Most prisoners are eligible to apply to go to an open prison when they are within the last percentage of their sentence. The thing is he is stupid for leaving because he was probably due out in a few weeks and now he will lose his 1/4 remission etc so will be in for longer.

Hmmm imperfections.

Well we cant have it so.

Better off with our current system, which has nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I know of a lad who was coming to the end of a ten year sentence about three years ago so was obviously locked up for something serious for that length of jail in Ireland.

He left an open prison with about six months left to serve and went and stayed in his mother's house.

I remember watching The Fugitive as a kid- this was the opposite of that. The so called forces of law and order didn't even knock around to ask his Ma had she heard from him.

He went down to the local garda station on a Thursday to hand himself in. The guards were surprised to see him and after a few phone calls told him they would pick him up from his mother's the following Tuesday.

No having to jump down dams to escape the authorities here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well yes we are better off with the current system then a forced labour system. That doesn't mean the current has nothing wrong with it thought. Bizarre reasoning.

Shouldn’t be the way imo

like the moment you look at someone’s file and see they threatened a family (two young children included), with a shotgun I believe? At that stage you have to ask how was he assessed as suitable for low security.

Sorry but he’s not the stupid one in this equation..

edit:

I think I could summarise my point simply by saying the fact we treat prisoners as though they are children with reward charts is shocking at best.

Behave yourself for a period and you can have a 1/4 of your sentence knocked off AND go to a summer camp of a prison to finish off. Just cos you were such a good boy.

What reward to the victims get in all this I wonder..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Open prison is an oxymoron. They shouldn't exist, ridiculous idea.

Bizarre situations, like people with 100+ convictions wandering our streets, may call for what those accustomed to such a bizarre environment would label "bizarre thinking".

We went from more brutal times to gradual enlightenment, year by year we realized that beating down the unruly wasnt the answer. Our approach became more and more feminine and cerebral, and we became more civilized and had new better results.

And then we decided that this trend was unlimited, you just had to keep being more understanding and tender to an infinite extent and that would yield the same results as the past, just throw more understanding at it.

And thats how we ended up with sociopaths laughing at the system. 100+ convictions would be indicative of such a person. More understanding wont work on them, its been tried 100 times. So clearly they need a punitive approach this time.

Studies have shown time and time again that more punitive measures do not prevent recidivism, the whole reason these guys build up these convictions in the first place is poor impulse control. Do you think the US is a safer and has less crime than us despite much more punitive measures there? Or more liberal countries who focus completely on rehabilitation rather than punishment who would have a lower crime rate than here?

I doubt those studies would apply to our elite 100+ club, since our bizarre environment is probably quite unique. I cant imagine any countrys researchers who wouldnt double take and ask if theres a typo upon reading 100 convictions. Can you?

Well the problem is the newspapers don't print stories about the guys who don't repeat offend, it doesn't sell papers. If you were to go by what you see in the papers you'd think every third person has 100+ convictions but in reality it's very low. I suppose in a civilised society we gear towards giving the 99% and chance and if that means the 1% slips through, that['s the way it is, there is no perfect system but you can at least have a system that gives people the best chance to make something of themselves.

Every system will still have recidivist criminals. I certainly wouldn't like to be a prison officer in a prison where your charges have no hope and no chance because you certainly wouldn't feel safe going in to work each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's cheap though....

Another "that'll do" job from the people in charge.

Obviously you have a tiered system.

The few hyper-recidivists should be given a different level of treatment from the guys who fked up once.

What prison officer feels safe at work? Thats the whole point for paying them, to be vigilant.

The word vigilant having latin roots which mean sentry, watchman. One who is paid to be on edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Ah no couldn't put his picture out there shur what about GDPR? He might be a violent criminal but he has rights.

Advertisement