Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farewell Sexton - a much deserved appreciation thread

Options
  • 18-10-2023 8:22am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So long Johnny! I had dearly hoped we would be writing this with a successful world cup campaign to cap off his success, but alas it wasn't to be.

Given the nature of the player and his contribution to Irish rugby, I think it would be remiss to start with individual accolades. It is oft said how important he has been to Leinster in particular, but it really is stark when you compare a talented but occasionally rudderless team in the "before times" with what the team latterly became. Was it all Sexton? Of course not, but he was a massive catalyst and the backbone through those years.

Leinster Rugby pre Sexton (95-07)

• 1 Celtic League

Leinster Rugby post Sexton (97-23)

• 4 European Cups
    • 1 Challenge Cup
    • 1 Magners League
    • 2 Pro12
    • 4 Pro14

Irish Rugby pre Sexton (95-09)

• 1 Grand Slam
    • 1 6N Championship

Irish Rugby post Sexton (09-23)

• 2 Grand Slams
    • 4 6N Championships
    • Victory in NZ tour
    • Victory in Australian tour
    • 17 game winning streak Irish record

For me, his impact on Irish rugby, the belief he brought to the squad, the standards he has set across the board and the respect he is clearly held in by the whole squad is unparalleled. It was noticeable in the heartbreak following Saturday that nearly every player referenced their disappointment in not doing better for Sexton - he truly was the heartbeat of that squad. Nobody encapsulated this better (or more painfully!) than Jack Conan

But to the man himself, if anything I think his actual playing ability is under-rated. But don't take it from me, take it from world cup winning coach Steve Hansen!

“We have to get to Sexton, he’s a phenomenal player and probably the best I’ve ever seen in making the right decisions on the line,” the former All Blacks boss told The Platform.

“I don’t think I’ve seen a player anywhere in the world, or anytime in the world, as good as he is at off-loading the ball to the right person at the right time under pressure.”

Or fellow stalwart and legend Keith Earls

“Sexton is the best player I have ever played with. And I was privileged to play with some great ones. But he is the greatest for me. What he gets out of a team, what he gets out of himself, his whole understanding of the game is world-class.

“He knows everyone else’s role inside out, as well as his own. He has a rugby brain like a computer. It’s like the game slows down in his head when he’s making decisions. His ability to see scenarios on the run and make a decision at the last second is fascinating to watch up close. 

His list of personal accolades are no less impressive than those of the teams he has played in

• 6N record points scorer
    • Irish record points scorer
    • World Player of the Year 2018
    • 3x World Player of the Year nominee
    • The most ludicrously good performance in European Cup final history in 2011
    • A late flurry managed to get him to 8th on Ireland's try scoring list too!

The only team he has faced that has a winning record against him is New Zealand and he still boasts a scarcely believable 6 wins against them. Something unthinkable for an Irishman before he came on the scene.

He was integral to 2 successful Lions series, and sorely missed in a third.

He did not have the smoothest start to his career, though his oft-referenced stint back at St. Mary's was shorter and less meaningful than most remember. He was incredibly important in the 07-08 Magners League victory, a much needed first trophy for Leinster in years. He started the 08-09 season as first choice but had some struggles and was sent away to find form. The injury to Contepomi in the semi-final accelerated his step up to first choice by a few games, but what a few games!

He was the complete player, on and off the pitch. It is time now for someone else, or multiple others, to step up in that role for Ireland and Leinster. Sexton never accepted anything less than full commitment, from both himself and those around him. For me that is what easily separates him out from our other greats and leaves him as the undisputed greatest player in Irish history.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Not to forget Earls who exits as a genuine legend for province and country, but Johnny will be remembered alongside Kyle, Kieran, McBride and Gibson as players who are synonymous with the greatest epochs of Irish and Lions rugby. No need to list Sexton’s accomplishments here but in all the disappointment of the WC it’s worth a thread to gather the clips and moments that make him a special player. Talking to my 16 year old who has been in an angry depression about it I realised that Sexton has been central to everything he has associated with Irish rugby for his whole life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Guys, ye both started JS threads so I merged them to keep things tidy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I propose everyone starts their own. Give the man the respect he deserves - The board shall be nothing but Sexton appreciation threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's hard to put into words what Sexton has done for Irish rugby but Podge has made a fairly good go of it. Conan always speaks eloquently and gives a good insight into proceedings and did so there. The open wound rawness of his words as well as the likes of VDF and POM discussing Sexton after the game really spoke to how he is revered within the squad bordering on adoration. It's probably not ideal for a squad to have a single figure viewed in such a manner given the absolute chasm it will leave behind the scenes but it's unfortunately the case.

I understand why he wasn't always the most popular figure with supporters from other provinces or nations but his absolute commitment, ability and performance make him utterly unparalleled as Ireland's greatest player of the professional era. When he came through, he wasn't the player he became. He was a good outhalf and potentially a good test player but there's very few that would have seen him as a future WPOTY, Lions outhalf etc. when he was 25. The determination to improve and develop was incredible even in the last couple of years when he had to play a different style to what he was once capable of.

I recall when BOD retired, we had one of these threads and I said that BOD wasn't a once in a generation player but a once in a lifetime player and we won't see the likes of him again. Well, without trying to seek out a clunky analogy, I'll just say that Sexton comfortably sits ahead of BOD at this stage both in terms of personal achievements and what he brought to those around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,098 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Would have been something else if he could have put the WC icing on the cake. But that shouldn't cloud what he has achieved. Pound for pound he is the greatest most pivotal player for Ireland I have seen in many years watching.

A fabulous servant for province and country.

Happy retirement Johnny,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It was fortunate for Irish rugby that the scissors lady outside the nightclub didn't inflict more damage back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,740 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

An absolute legend. The best Irish player this generation. He'll be sorely missed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 31 inbloom427

Hardly sits comfortably ahead of BOD ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Musicrules

O'Gara was a better player.

BOD was a great player but didn't win very much in green or with the lions. Sexton captained Ireland during a sustained period of dominance and glory. With BOD the highlights are of him scoring and pulling wonder moves on the field, Sextons highlights involve a lot of trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

It feels like he’s been playing too well to retire fully now. He should continue on with Leinster until the end of the season and get the send off he deserves

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: In a Johnny Sexton appreciation thread, this is trolling. Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ireland's greatest ever player. Chief playmaker for two Grand Slams and a further two Six Nations Championships. The cornerstone of unprecedented success provincially and internationally.

I don't know if I'll ever see a player as good again.

jaysus, had never heard that before, bizarre

its very hard to compare the two, BOD played on arguably weaker overall teams so alot of his highlights were individual. towards the start of his career especially, he was basically the only attacking threat in the ireland backline whereas JS was generally surrounded by a higher calibre of player. JS was obviously a massive part of the grand slams in 2018 and 2023 but BOD was sensational for the 2009 win

Sexton probably shades it but i wouldnt argue against BOD either. i also would argue that if BOD doesnt raise the bar initially then you dont get JS

jaysus, had never heard that before, bizarre

Not really that bizarre or unique. Rows outside every nightclub in the country every week. There is absolutely no suggestion he was doing anything wrong at all. Wrong place, wrong time.

Happened about 17 years ago now so it wasn't as if he was a massive household name at the time. I don't know why I remembered the story at the time. I never saw it mentioned in relation to him after he became a household name. She could have ended his career before it started

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Best Irish 10 ever , him O'Driscoll and O'Connel and Wood changed Irish rugby for the better.

He will be hurting more than anyone , sport can be beautiful and also cruel, he desrved a better last WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

As players retire they're often described as one of a kind it such like and then you think of other greats. Ireland and we the fans have been very lucky to have had such great, especially in the pro era and sometimes it's difficult to compare one to another as other players played in different eras, under different coaches or with different game plans, one thing is sure Sexton is up there with the greats of Irish Rugby

Another thing we're lucky for is that the Irish greats play their rugby at home and sometimes I think that affects how we view them as one of the ordinary rather than one of the greats.

He hasn't the end he or we hoped he'd have but he's had a great career.

Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement

Yeah, agree with that. BOD was a transformational figure for Ireland from the French hat trick on. iirc he scored in every game in 2009. Ireland just weren't a strong enough team in those years (Vincent Clerc!) but I don't think its incorrect to say that Sexton will be a more significant figure when the history is written simply because of the unprecedented success the team has enjoyed during his tenure at ten and as captain. I mentioned epochs earlier and there have been a few, his is certainly the greatest so far.

just to be pedantic, he scored in 4 of the 5 games but didnt score against scotland.

I think it is easy to forget now, but BOD had a few years in his mid career where frankly he didn't seem to be trying that hard. He was absolutely part of the poisonous clique that Cheika ultimately succeeded in removing from the squad. He was far too passive in underperforming teams at times.

But I think even if we ignore the massively outsized impact Sexton had on the squad, it's also easy to overlook just how good a bloody flyhalf was was. I am open to debate on whether he or BOD were a better player in terms of pure skill, I think it's pretty marginal. But he was on that level as a pure player - there are untold pros who have played with and seen both who would make the statement that Sexton was easily the equal or better. But when you take into account everything else, the impact on the squad, the raising of standards and the drive that he installs in everyone else, it's not even close for me.

We were bloody lucky to have him and he has been the single largest part in Ireland's success for the last decade for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guess whenever we had Sexton I always thought we might win, I don't think that has applied to any other player. It just felt like everyone around him was 20% better when he played. He was able to give people so much time, hit them with such gentle passes, and perfectly weigh the crossfield kicks. When Sexton missed the Paris away game in 22, I spent a long time comparing how Carbery had played that game versus Sexton. And the major difference I noticed was that Sexton always followed the pod from the boot, even when he knew he wasn't getting the pass. Other out halves let the pod do their thing and organise the following play. It always meant a slightly softer shoulder, a slightly better carry, a faster ruck, and an easier gainline. I think he just made 400 contributions a game whereas other tens only hit half that.

For me his three greatest achievements, came in three different ways and for three different teams.

The second half in 2011 - surrounded by Leinster's greatest and still youngish, he's the one who turned it around.

Le Drop - an outrageously long drop goal, after a grueling away match in pouring rain. It won us a grand slam.

The 2017 Lions tour - for me it was his return in the second test that made the material difference, and helped tie that series.

He didn't win a quarter-final, but he did lead the first Irish team of the professional era to show up in one, and while this is not a comparison the other three names usually said in the same conversation all failed to fire at world cups while playing together.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO, without Sexton, BODs medal drawer would be fairly empty.

No contest for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A new 15 minutes compilation of Sexton by Andrew Forde. I'd forgotten how fast he was. When he was younger the loop was used to put him into a position to make a line break because he had the speed to run through the defence.

Could easily pull up hours of footage of his best bits.

https://youtu.be/K3Ojlawf-tw?si=rol964gedYAkgcjb

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Granted this is my own fault for watching/reading it, but you see some comments on social media that Sexton cannot be considered alongside the likes of Carter or Wilkinson because of his lack of success at World Cup. But I think that is such a narrow view of it. I think he is definitely in that conversation, he brought so much to Leinster and Ireland.

Maybe but let's face it, the WC is the biggest deal in rugby and if you don't feature there at all then it's hard to be in any sort of historical conversation about the best world players, particularly when we are talking about 10s. How do we know whether any player can operate at the very highest level if he's never been tested there? Sexton won WPOTY and was often nominated which put him in the top tier but guys like Carter, Barrett and Wilkinson are getting those awards and nominations in WC years. He is part of those conversations in the context of Leinster and Ireland but no way any neutral could put him above guys who've performed consistently at the WC, nor is there any need to when we know how massive a role he has played in getting Ireland to where we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭dublin49

the world cup is a total red herring with regard to rating Sexton,Parisse is one of the greatest 8's of all time ,and he is on most GOAT lists.

• Advertisement

Oddly, you don't get a swathe of people going around discounting Jonah Lomu for never winning a world cup...

Advertisement