Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Legal case from US on death of a pillion passenger from crash on an ebike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

It wasn't very clear in the article how the family believe the company who make those ebikes are at fault.

American had not legislated for ebikes like in Europe, so that electric motorbikes, with throttles, and without pedal assist, are regards as ebikes.

*Edit* the lead was buried, found the information

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, they claim the rad power bikes are not stable at high speed and have quick releases.

allowing a pre-teen out on a 14% hill with a heavy bike is not a sensible thing to do in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Look at the picture. That's a motorcycle.. No two ways about it. Without the technical knowledge to do something with it of an issue arose or to understand it's high level functionality, kids shouldn't be on it.

Adults don't get licences to ride 1000cc bikes straight off the cuff for a reason

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This is an awful thing to say as someone who grew up in a rural area and was allowed operate heavy machinery at a young age, there is no one truly at fault here except the parents for allowing there child to ride one of these without at least proper training or supervision. I presume they bought it, and they allowed it. I presume only for the obvious trauma they have already endured they would be in court themselves for child endangerment.

Whether they should be allowed for sale or not is an entirely different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The article states that the parents of the dead girl have already sued the parents of the girl who was steering the bike and settled for $1.5 million.

The article itself is like something from RSVP / VIP. Wouldn't be surprised if the girl's parents wrote it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Missed that, I couldn't read the article as it was just too long. Apparently the court submission was the same, lots of waffle, kind of like a red top and an Irish solicitor had a baby and gave it steroids.

As a parent, jesus, last thing on my mind unless they think it will prevent other deaths. If it is for money, why do it at all. Unless they are doing it because they believe they will save lives, which I cynically doubt, what is the point at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Legal awards from other family and manufacturer would be validation that someone other than themselves are to blame.

They'll get to the cold hard truth in their own time and have to live with it for the rest of their days.

Advertisement