Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to admit, electricity costs and comparisons are something I just can't get my head around for whatever reason.

I currently have both electricity and gas via Electric Ireland and pay it monthly on their level pay system which is reviewed annually in November (currently 280 per month for both after last year's adjustment and both in credit at the minute).

Have a smart meter but did not switch over to a smart plan as all the coverage suggested it would only cost more than I was paying. EI say I'm on their cheapest rates and discounts as is.

There's an old boiler and timer installed that just allows rads/water heating to be on or off - no zones, no water only, and as I'm renting, no option to change it - which would be a huge job I was told anyway? It's also a typical Tiger house - thrown up in the early 2000s with poor quality insulation etc that I've tried to address myself with silicone sealant etc to some effect at least.

I also hate direct debits of random amounts because when they inevitably screw up the billing (regardless of the company/service involved), the customer is always the one who ends up out of pocket for the month/period while they credit it back or whatever, thus the fixed monthly amount suits me better and both accounts end in credit of several hundred euro by the end of the summer/autumn.

So... Is it worth even considering a move given the above, or would it just be more hassle for little to no gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Shop around. Insert usage details into www.bonkers.ie www.powertoswitch.ie www.switcher.ie Choose the best options for both/either fuel and switch on the day after your current deal expires. Also go direct debit, why are you giving the supplier excess money with level monthly pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Because as I said above, experience has shown me that no company in this country can be trusted not to screw up a direct debit at some point.

At least if the amount is fixed, the damage is limited while they sort it out (inevitably a credit on the next bill).

It also means that in the winter months and Christmas/January there's no worries about bill shock regardless of usage as the amount taken will still be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭seanin4711

checked them all and went full circle seems like BG are coming in at 1700(plus not takng into account Gov credits 3*150,they really should be tackling the root cause imho) for the year.

Energia 1760 and inrementally up from there with others

looks like i am staying put

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Sign on to ESB networks web-site and you can get all your usage data from the start (of your current plan, I think).

Advertisement