Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you use - Cash, Card or Both?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The Gardai kicking in your door because 1gc flagged you ordered a pizza deal for 4 and bought a crate of beer, only to realise your just a lonely alco binging netflix in your boxers ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Both

Where to you think bank 3rd party companies get your information from?

You can think what you want. This was my experience. I did have the issue with a new card and it was the chip not working and I had to walk away from the sale. I then did wait for a replacement card. The store could not process my card. There may be a way around it but the person at the till could not process the transaction.

Used to work in a bank so know what I have said does happen. Yes ability to pay comes into it but they also check if you waste your money.

Government. Revenue. I know of a builder that got a good few cash jobs and starting paying his credit card off with it. He was audited and that was it. Hit with a larger tax bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So you'll get refused a mortgage if your wasting money on lattes and burritos but they won't ask questions if you can't explain where the 400 euro a week you're withdrawing which coincidentally was how much you were tapping for goes? Seems logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Cash

Cash.

Haven't any cards.

Bought a new fridge in September 1200 euro. Cash.

Nice fridge😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Plastic or Digital Card

So you don’t buy online then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Plastic or Digital Card

I use my watch for practically everything. Not having a pocket full of shrapnel is great, and it saves the hassle of remembering which coat or trousers my wallet is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Plastic or Digital Card

Very rarely do I use cash, had my wallet stolen numerous times... the most I lost was €300

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Plastic or Digital Card

Very rarely cash, mostly favoured by the tax dodging. Slows down queues at tills also

I don’t get people claiming they spend less with cash or card. Do ye not make a value-based decision on your purchases independent of payment method. Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Third party companies get info from other sites. But it's not from your bank.

If you have unexplained cash withdrawals of large amounts, that's gonna be flagged by a bank. I got a mortgage over two years ago. Largely never used cash by that point. Occasionally had a few drinks etc. No issue with mortgage cause I was well above the repay capacity.

Last part is an audit where a person committed tax fraud. That could as easily have happened thirty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Steviemak7

Plastic or Digital Card

I am massively in favour of the continued use of cash but rarely use it. Go figure

• Advertisement

I tap the phone 95% of the time. That being said I would not support a cashless society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Both

I find that paying by card is a good way of tracking when I bought something or used a particular service i.e. when did I last get a haircut and am I due one now

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lecter8319

Both

I pay by card mainly but sometimes cash when I have it on me. It is concerning how easily everyone's spending habits can be tracked so easily nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Cash

Are you a supporter of a mirrorless society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Plastic or Digital Card

What 3rd party companies are getting what information?

Can you give me an example? Banks do not provide your spending information to third parties. They would only do this if compelled by Revenue or An Garda Siochana.

Can you specify who has information and provided by the bank and what information is it? I've never had discussions with a 3rd party who knew my bank spending, ever.

Also your story about faulty chip just doesn't sound right as cards still have strip on them and can be swiped and you can sign. Experienced this myself. Either way a faulty card does not make a system bad. A lost wallet can be more disruptive.

I also worked in a bank too and they don't look at coffees like you say. If you take money out and show inability to pay that's what they'll turn you down on. Net monthly balance.

So I'm calling bull on your story about mortgage rejection. It may have happened that they were initially rejected and then accepted but not for the reasons you say.

Finally, revenue do not get card details from bank unless there's an investigation. Your builder friend was audited as due course not because of a credit card bill.

Either way, he was a evading tax, that we all ultimately pay for so it was a good thing he was caught and now pays more.

Post edited by murpho999 on

Advertisement