Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2 Johnnies Late Night Lock In

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

How many episodes & seasons is this set to run for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He and Jon Kenny worked well together as Dunbelievables, at least in the early days. It was starting to go a bit stale by the time they started doing the Lotto ads but they called it a day at the right time.

Not keen on Pat Shortts solo comedy stuff but good straight actor.

Nighthawks.

Apres Match, hit and miss but very funny at times.

Couched, late 90s show which harldy anyone remembers, was on late at night on Network 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭HBC08

I really think people are being harsh on this.

Zero credit to RTE but its a bit different and I genuinely laughed a few times last night.The girl with the laugh in the doghouse,Unas stalker,dated or related....it was good craic.

I have to be honest here,I kinda know Sean Walsh,been out for pints with him a good few times before he stopped drinking but his stand up last night was terrible.He has a much more interesting story to tell than last night.Una too I think but they kept it light and it was a decent show I think.

Compare that to Tubridy slapping his knee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭deadybai

Haven’t watched it but is it just basically the podge and rodge show except not funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

I remember that Monica Looley's call aswell it was very funny. Often searched for it but couldn't find it.

"Is there a toilet in the room not that you wouldn't want it with padraigin around"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,404 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya Sean Walsh was funnier during the interview than when doing his stand up.

I'd agree that people are being harsh. I'm not a fan of the 2 lads generally on tv but for a random Thursday night show, it was better than expected.

The marty stuff was silly but apart from that, it was good enough. A few laughs anyway.

I'm beginning to think people cannot admit that they laugh at silly stuff anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Watched it last night for about 20 mins. It was ok. The idea is good but maybe it felt a little bit forced and awkward. It might get better as the lads find their groove.

Nighthawks back in the day was a similar set-up. Lets pretend we are in a bar and having the craic. Except nobody seems to actually be drinking...and there's SFA craic.

Agree with other posters that the two Johnnies are suffering from overexposure on RTE. A bit like a flasher in Semple stadium (to use their kind of bants)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

One of the funniest things I’ve seen on RTÉ is the Hughie Maughan interview on Podge and Rodge. It is very difficult to find online and only place I saw it was on a repeat run of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HarryMolloy

This is probably a trial run for them being put on the Saturday night slot in place of Angela Scanlons program. Same auld shite.

Like are people not fcuking sick of seeing Marty Morrissey everywhere?

Same guests, same shite talk out of the lot of them.

You can take a good stab at who'll be on, likes of PJ Gallagher, Lyra, Denise van Outen etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I don't get to listen to the radio must but when I'm in the car and these lads are on, I don't mind them, I kind of enjoy them.

Himself was channel-flicking last night and left this on. After a while I actually had to get him to change the channel, it was desperate, it was so cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm a proud culchie who has been living in the pale for a few years now. The 2 Johnnies podcast was pretty funny when it started. Segments like Noel's News could be genuinely funny to people who grew up in rural Ireland and they covered some interesting topics at a high level. Definitely "influenced" by Pat Shortt but everything is derivative if you want to get forensic. Also lots of tired Dubs vs. Culchies shitick but it was entertaining.

However. Their RTE stuff is pretty poor. What's more, I think they know this themselves but are presumably on a decent pay-day compared to making hurleys and working in the meat counter in Supervalu so why would they not keep going when the contracts keep coming their way.

The show last night was grand to have on in the background with a few laughs. Also, I don't think RTE exactly blew the budget, was it actually filmed in the Shamrock Lounge?

Did they ask Una Healy about anything int3resting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭HBC08

If Nighthawkes was around these days it would be getting torn to shreds on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They are popular, sell out gigs but that was pure rubbish, I think they are over exposed from podcast, radio and TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I taught is was alright last night ,a few laughs but that comedian was pretty sad and same shite from marty .the girl from the audience with the horse laugh was a bit of craic and the parish quiz is interesting ,never heard of coolgrainey before .I agree it will be impossable for them to come up a pile of the new material for radio ,tv and podcast .I really enjoyed killnaskully also but there is only so much of this you can rehash ,imo they are aiming for the 25-35 age group so this might be off putting towards the older aul lads on here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Eve Mealy Somewhere

Una Healy never has anything interesting, would attend the opening of a crisp packet for getting her mug in the papers, just keeping herself out there to be some what relevant

Tbf to them theyre the only thing passable on 2fm, but when your competition is Lottie Ryan/Zamperelli/Doireann Donnacha and the camp guy, is that really an acheivement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I enjoyed it a bit , but also I don't think they translate to TV at all especially RTE's brand of TV anyway the podcast can really be good when they are unscripted and talking about important stuff , RTE have to inject this shite into all there shows (marty morrissey etc) and makes the lads ultra cringe.

At what stage did Marty Morrissey become this forced, tiresome "zany character"? Hes been with RTE for over thirty years and up to not that long ago I wouldnt have been able to pick him out of an identity parade. Now he's the new Twink, no escaping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭jackboy

As someone else said here they are sanitised for the TV. They are actually funny guys but are not allowed to do their own thing, hence this highly scripted stuff. Might have been better if everyone in that fake pub was drinking, rather than pretending to be on a night out drinking. Gay Byrne did well just from getting his guests plastered before coming on air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I think the country women of Ireland are to blame for this. At some point in the late noughties and early 2010’s gaa pupularity exploded, a lot due to the Kilkenny vs Tipp hurling rivalry, and these women in gaa shirts by day and skimpy dressed by night decided to give Marty some sort of Austin Powers sex god status. And he has had it since and totally dined out on it financially while staying faithful to his lucky girlfriend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Marty wasn't "cancelled" after his RTE perks scandal, a free car he knew nothing about and car allowance, he can do no wrong it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭squonk

So basically it’s like Tubbs faux Irish pub LLS set for the Paddy’s day LLS? I always thought that was naff in and of itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Eve Mealy Somewhere

after the fake outrage about the bumper sticker nonsense on their radio show, they've been tightly reigned in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Rustyman101

Puerile shite, yet a another good reason if needed not pay the licence fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I've seen some of their podcast interviews and they come across very well.

Their interview with Daithi O'Se I really enjoyed.

I don't listen to their radio show though, nor did I watch this.

But there's definitely potential there.

I guess they have a natural charisma, chemistry, chatty nature with a few jokes thrown in.

I wish them the best.

I think lots of the criticism comes from resentment as people don't have the courage to produce content and put themselves out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Sorry is behind a paywall

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/the-2-johnnies-late-night-lock-in-review-being-locked-in-with-these-lads-is-a-hellish-experience/a237988370.html

The 2 Johnnies’ Late Night Lock In review: ‘Being locked in with these lads is a hellish experience’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

These boggers should be isolated to Tipp FM where they can entertain their own kind in the simple country fashion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Absolutely eviscerated by critics and viewers who managed to tune in for a few minutes. RTE seems to be backing them to the hilt though.

Strange all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Advertisement