Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening ideas for winter 2023

Options
  • 19-10-2023 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello fellow garden enthusiasts! As we approach winter 2023, it's time to start thinking about how we can make the most of our gardens during the colder months. What are your gardening plans for this winter? Are you considering any specific plants, projects, or techniques to keep your garden vibrant and productive? Share your ideas, tips, and experiences, and let's inspire each other to create beautiful winter gardens!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

With the current weather in mind one point of my winter plan for the garden is to stay off of it when the ground is as wet as it currently is so I don't damage the soil structure and make drainage worse.

Plants take time to grow and more so in winter so most of the plants I'd hope to make a positive impact on the garden over winter are already established. Just got some viola to brighten up the containers outside the house as I have found they can flower in the milder parts of the winter. Other plants that should provide some winter flowers when it is mild include Viburnum tinus, primrose, Vinca, Mahonia, Sarcococca, winter flowering cherry, flowering quince, winter flowering honeysuckle, Darwin's barberry, and some others will get going next year in late winter like snow drops and crocus. Winter is also a time when evergreens stand out and even some nice greens can make the garden continue to look alive and some variegated evergreens can provide interesting features along with some plants that have colourful stems like red stemmed dogwood and a variety of willow I have that has a bright orange colour to its bark. Berries also can provide some nice winter colour and food for birds with a couple of cotoneaster varieties featuring in many parts of the garden here. Its also interesting how winter interacts with nature and features in the garden with a video clip here of a bird visiting the pond when its frozen.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I've cleared out a very overgrown bed around a light in the front garden and planted some blue grass and violas with the kids. I had to fill the bed up with compost so while I was at that I planted a load of spring and early summer bulbs. Probably planted too many but we'll see how it turns out. I'm hoping I'll have a bed of happiness to look out upon first thing in the morning from spring onwards.

Aside from that most of my winter jobs are clearing in prep for 1) a better gardening year next year and 2) longer term projects that I'll be working on when the weather permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 patrickschrock

Hello

Winter gardening can be a great way to enjoy outdoor space even in the colder months.

Plant cold-hardy vegetables, use row covers or cold frames to protect them from extreme cold. Also select winter flowering plants like violas, winter jasmine to add color to your garden.

Consider indoor gardening with houseplants or herbs on a sunny windowsill to keep your green thumb active during winter. You can also use the winter months to plan your spring garden.

Decorate your garden with winter themed ornaments to create a cozy atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My veg garden is closing down and the beds are being covered in black plastic.

Polytunnel is full and will provide crops over the winter/ spring.

Advertisement