Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beacon 23 [MGM+ / Amazon?]

Options
  • 19-10-2023 8:54am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Another Hugh Howey adaptation, coming fast after Silo; looks like a really intriguing "bottle" thriller set onboard a space station. Not sure if it's gonna appear on Amazon Prime outside the US, but given they own MGM now you'd have to ssay it's a safe enough bet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting to see this adapted.

I read the book over lockdown, didn't realise they were making it into a series.

Enjoyed the book, will tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Saw the first two episodes, I hope it gets an awful lot better, as I wasn't exactly hooked. If it doesn't improve, Lena Headey might be doing another walk of shame. 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched the first two episodes and it not good and looks like a show even the syfy channel would pass on and be embarrassed to put on their channel.

I'll gve it a couple more episodes as it has been reported that they filmed two seasons worth of episodes but I not holding out hope it wil improve.

Episode 3, still bad and seeming not to be going anywhere.

The first thing that struck me was the "previously on Beacon 23" intro, and there being nothing previously worth reminding anyone about. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone watching this? It is by MGM.

I watched the first two episodes last night. First one was very slow but second episode was better.

Still it seems limited in its scope.

After episode two we have already seen most of if not all of Beacon 23 so where it goes from that I am not sure.

Anyway I will keep watching. Unless it's scope expands I can not see it getting more seasons do. A pity as always good to have more sci-fi/space shows to watch.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm done with it now, I won't be wasting anymore time watchimg this.

It's already got a second season, for some peculiar reason, and it's already being "discussed" here 😛 Beacon 23 [MGM+ / Amazon?] — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Ms

Awe that's great and thank you. I did look for a thread on it before starting mine and all I got was the Beacon Quarter South Dublin lol.

Could someone merge the threads then?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Watched the first four episodes and honestly I enjoyed it. Surprised by the overwhelmingly bad reviews here.

It's a far cry from amazing, but I've seen far worse. Acting is fine, it looks OK, the element of mystery keeps me compelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was going to skip it based on comments here, but I think I'll give it a go now, thanks Homelander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lots of good things going for this show except the storyline, reminds me of Raised by Wolves in the respect that it's all very intriguing but there is no payoff, explanation, answers and they are just putting random stuff in to the story

Apparently very loosely based on the book i.e. a beacon in space - the first season goes nowhere!

I think that Raised by Wolves had a lot more going for it than Beacon 23, and it was unfortunate that they pulled the plug on it.

I stuck with Beacon 23 to the bitter end, and it only became slightly more interesting during the last 15 minutes of the finale, but at the end it just went down the toilet.

I haven't read the book, and don't know what's planned for the second series, but I'm still a glutton for punishment, so I might watch it (or at least the first episode). 🤔

I saw that Lena Headey's husband in real life is the one who played Keir the beardy fella. Perhaps the pair of them tossed a coin to decide whether they were going to be in it or not? 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Finished S1. So bad. Lena Heady is barely trying and an annoying cliffhanger ending = NOPE.

Ms

Just watched episode 9. I take it that's the last episode of the first season. I'd so what a dissapointment. This show is the optimum of how you drag something out and the whole thing makes no sense. It gives you no reason to care for any of the Characters as one minute they are going to do something and then they are not then they are doing it again. Make up your minds ffs.

How did Harmony not warn Astor of Keirs intention? Peaceful my ass. His crew were supposed to get him and go but nope he is still there.

They were afraid of dieing but yet they were going to blow themselves up.

So badly written it's all over the place the show.

I will watch the first episode of the 2nd season just to see what the story is with Astor but otherwise will probably give up on it. Be surprised if it gets a 3rd season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Enjoyed the season mostly but honestly the finale completely sucked. It just wasn't compelling, it actively worked to make me not give a fig about any of the characters, their motives, or what was happening with the artifact, and there was frustratingly little context given for some big developments.

I feel like there was the bones of 5 or 6 solid episodes artifically stretched across the 8 and again, that finale was horrible, and instead of being hungry for more I was left thinking "Well that sucked".

Whereas the episode previous about Avalon and the next beacon keepers was very good, nice simple and compelling storytelling.

Overall it's OK but just about. Extremely inconsistent.

Like a fool I decided to watch the second series and it was just as annoying as the first series and only slightly more interesting. You finally think they're getting somewhere in one episode that ends with a cliff-hanger, and that episode is followed by a completely unrelated episode that also ends with a cliff-hanger. The first cliff-hanger gets resolved but the second one doesn't. It's all as weird as hell. 😜

It's still getting a sizeable number of bad reviews on IMDB and there's no hint of it getting cancelled or renewed.

Did anyone else go the distance on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Kinda watching it in the background but no idea what's going on and I don't think the writers do, it's all over the place with the story

Advertisement