Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 5G Home Broadband

• 19-10-2023 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi,

Currently have Vodafone home broadband 100MB and TV, with their SuperWifi mesh-add on since March 2022. The service itself has been flawless, since we recontracted with them last March, every single bill has been wrong, and am getting fed up having to call them every month to sort it, and am looking around at alternatives.

I'm a 3 mobile customer and I see they have an offer for 6 months free home broadband for mobile customers, which is tempting, but I'm worried that their modem's WiFi network range won't cover our whole house, which includes a ground floor office and a converted attic two stories above.

Can anyone advise based on their own experience how good the service is, especially in a home-office environment like mine?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

If the indoor 5g signal in your property and the area is good, reliable and consistent it might be ok, but I personally wouldn’t swap a fixed broadband for a mobile service. If it’s just light to moderate internet use it could be perfectly fine but I’d prefer the reliability and consistency of a fixed line/fibre. I’ve had far better success with eir over three with mobile broadband services but the price is a bit different to match the service

Wifi coverage depends on the modem/device three offer, if the current Wi-Fi works fine with the mesh device turned off and the three device will be in the same location, it will likely have similar coverage performance, you can always add a different router/extender/mesh if needed to boost performance

Theres always the option to try the three service out and return it if it isn’t up to the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

While 6 months free is a great offer, I too wouldn't swap the reliability of fixed broadband for 5G broadband and definitely wouldn't expect it to reach the 3rd floor. I had Three 5G broadband albeit the older model and the speeds dipped drastically come 5 in the evening. Digiweb have a deal for 34.99 for 12 months and I've found Digiweb excellent having gone through almost all the providers out there. Their billing was always spot on, their customer care is based in Dundalk too.

Is the Super Wifi box from Vodafone connected by ethernet back to the Vodafone modem on the bottom floor? If so, you could just buy a booster once and avoid the monthly charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

That's my concern too. The only thing I see in 3's favour is that I get good speeds on my 5G phone, but then I wonder does it vary through the day, especially during the evenings when streaming or whatever?

I'll look at DigiWeb too, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I have the Three 5g at home. I had the 100mb Vodafone beforehand. Worst speeds on Three are 100mb and upto 400mb at times. Upload is 30mb and upto 50mb. TBH its far better than the fixed BB i had. I live in an apartment and there is a lot of walls for the signal to get in but its being flawless in the 7 weeks i have had it. For a house your size i dont know if the signal would be strong enough. Also i think there is 1000gb fair usage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I've the three 5G service since swapping from Virgin.... amazing service, never an issue in the last 14 months and MUCH faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have it too at home, and also in 4 work buildings. Get the engineer installed version, they will test if 5g will work in your area and place antenna in correct place.

Its flawless for us anyway.

One director couldnt get it, but he is way out in the sticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭pureza

Mine is down this evening, anyone else ?

Doesn't happen often

Of course the help line is closed and doesn't open until 8am tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Was on this yesterday in my Mam's and with it being pro installed the speeds were 450+ constantly with low ping.

Very impressive

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

whats Digiweb like does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

Ditched Imagine for 3 over 6 Months ago. Far better service 100 down 40 up. I would be 7 KMs approx away from their mast. Slows in the evening but doesn't impact streaming etc. The ZTE modem they installed reaches all the house no problems 2300 sqft house.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭villa2008

Is there a way online to look up how close to one of their mast you are?

Whats it like speed wise in rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

A sim in a phone is good indication of the signal at your location. Less contention the better once the signal is decent would suggest it would be ok. 4g minimum be fine but you would probably want 5g for the better speeds. Just run some speed tests throughout the day to check the service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Manc-Red_

My mother has 3 on her phone and barely gets 4G at her home.

Tech turned up and got 5G with their aerial outside without a problem and is currently at .45 GB constant for home broadband.

Pretty amazing router too tbh

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I'm paying a lot more per month on Virgin , 60 per month now until Jan 24 so I decided to ditch them, they were now interested in bringing the price down at all but then I was on some loyalty thing I got 6 months ago. Its so disingenuous I think, these offers.. ...I'm looking into getting a router with a 4G sim card from three.

My use of internet and streaming is pretty low. Only Netflix and the lads sometimes use the PlayStation. I even connected the smart tv to my hotspot and it seemed to be fine.

If I could get away with 20 euro a month I'd be happy .

Does anyone else do it this way with a tp-link router plus SIM?

Advertisement