Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer licence

• 20-10-2023 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭

Apologies in advance as I'm probably being a bit lazy to search for this but...

Can someone tell me if its a requirement to do any courses (HCAP etc) in order to get a deer licence for shooting on private land? Not coillte lands.

I have numerous permissions where I regularly hunt that I notice have deer. I'd like to get a suitable rifle to hunt deer as I don't have one at the moment.

Other than the required amount of acreages and a suitable rifle, is anything else needed to make the application?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭TheEngineer1

It is as of the last 3 or 4 years. Before that you only needed HCAP for govt. /Caoillte lands but now a HCAP is needed for any new deer hunting applicant unfortunately, even on private ground.

If you're in a gun club, NARGC do an equivalent course that you'll be able to use for a deer license application too.

Also be aware that you need a rifle serial number and calibre along with what bullet grain weight you want to use to apply for a deer hunting license.

The guards won't license a rifle without an accompanying deer license so it seems like at first you're stuck in a loop.

In order, you need to;

-Do a deer hunting course, either HCAP, NARGC, or other

-Put a deposit on a rifle in a gun shop and get all the details

-Apply for a deer license attaching a copy of your course certificate using the details of your rifle that you have on deposit

-Use your deer license to apply for your firearm license with the Gardaí

-Collect your gun upon granting of the license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Great, thanks for replying. I was aware of the licence/rifle loop, thats pretty easy to overcome, so its just the course.

I'm in nargc so ill check that out.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

A few follow up questions.

Is the hcap a one time course or has it to be repeated/renewed after a certain time period?

Also, is there an annual membership fee to maintain status?

Thanks

I haven't done one. I got my first license in 2018 which was the year before the compulsory HCAP was introduced. Because I held a previous license then I was able to keep renewing each year since for hunting farms although I can't hunt on caoillte lands.

But as far as I know they don't need to be renewe and there is no recurring fee. Once you have your cert you should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

AT THE MOMENT...They are once off courses.No doubt some smartAr**e will decide if and when new firearms legislation comes in,which is in the pipeline too.That could be a shooting or govt handy little earner,it will no doubt be "considered"in the future.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

How do you do the shooting part of the course, if your not licenced yet? and is the 4" target @ 100m standing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭keith s

You can rent a rifle on the day (book that in advance with the course organisers). Or, if you have a friend with a deer legal calibre, who is willing to travel down with you for the practical day.

From memory you will:

1st shoot x 3 shots from prone at 100mtrs and if all on target you will be allowed to move on to the deer target, which you will shoot at 3 different distances / positions.

#1 @ 100 mtrs, prone.

#2 @ 75mtrs, standing (you can use sticks so bring a set on the day).

#3 @50mtrs, kneeling (again I think you can use sticks)

X3 shots at each of the above distances. I may have mixed up #2 + #3 (ie. You might be kneeling at 75mtrs and standing at 50mtrs).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Yup, buddy did the course recently and I think it was prone, kneeling/sitting, standing, in that order.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I contacted NARGC, and they need a minimum of 20 to start a course.

So hopefully a few on here reading might consider... even the ones already licensed, but not for the coilte lands etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Is there a reason why they wouldn't let you take the course with your own rifle if it's a centrefire rifle eg.223 as its a course on shooting ability and using a strange rifle might be a hindrance to some.I know 223 is not deer legal but shooting a rifle you know against one you've never shot will probably not show you at your best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That makes perfect sense. I wouldn't expect anyone to shoot there best with a strange rifle. But I suspect it has to be a deer calibre. I think the counter logic is that somebody might not shoot as well with a harder hitting calibre that they will be using for deer. It's possible that the concern is if the deer license/competency is granted, somebody could legally pick up their new gun and go hunting without getting familiar with it.

Obviously reasonable shooters would practise with their new gun before shooting it as a live animal. But I don't know if there is a better way to protect us against idiots. Actually that's not true, there is a better way. Grant a license for prospective deer hunting, get practice in with the new rifle, sit the test when competent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not sure of the CountrySide Alliance or other course but the hcap was;

Prone at 100

Kneeling/sitting at 60

Standing at 40.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭keith s

That could be it @Cass.

I did the CSI one, a good while back, and remember the x3 shot in prone at 100mtrs (normal target) to start off with.

If you pass that you move on to the 3 positions on the deer target.

I think you do at least 12 shots, so would recommend you bring at least a 20 box of ammo?

I did only needed 12, but I'm good like that 😛.

#12 rounds that is, NOT 12 boxes of ammo 😂.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do the yanks or Europeans that come over in hunting trips have to do the same course on arrival? Or is there a loophole for guided outfits?

EU reciprocity recognition on the hunting licenses. not that we have one bar for deer hunting,is acceptable proof of qualification.

The US as it has state deer and bird hunting permits in all states,I would assume is acceptable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭alex90

Im pretty sure to hunt in France you have to pass the hunting exam

Apart from obtaining a temporary French hunting permit.you need the full license if you are a resident of France.

For hunters residing in the European Community

Hunters can come to France to hunt with up to three weapons without any previous authorisation, as long as:

• The hunter has a European firearm permit mentioning the concerned weapons
    • The hunter can justify that the main goal of his/her trip is hunting
    • The hunters, in possession of a hunting license, are allowed to bring three hunting weapons of the fifth category, or classified in the weapons under the declaration of the seventh category, and 100 ammunitions per weapon

For hunters residing in any other countries than the European Community

The hunter can temporarily import, under the custom legislation of temporary admission, two hunting weapons and up to 100 ammunitions per weapon.

For all weapons importation, an authorisation delivered by the general direction of the customs, office E2, is required.

Rifle

Recommended calibres for hunting big game in France are 270 Winchester, 300 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum or any other equivalent calibres. Rifles must be equipped with a scope from x6 to x9 zoom.

Other weapons

Hunting using pistol, crossbow, military weapons, weapons with a calibre inferior to 5.6mm and automatic weapons capable of shooting more than three bullets in a row are forbidden.

http://www.francesafaris.com/faq-weapons.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭lmk123

Just another question on this topic. I’m also thinking of getting a deer license / rifle. Already have a shotgun and rimfire. They’re creating havoc on my land and neighbours land, they’d only be delighted to allow me shoot on their land. What do / can you do with the carcass if you’re not interested in getting the meat from it. I heard a guy on the news this evening saying that the biggest problem will be getting rid of all the carcasses if the cull comes in and it got me thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭alex90

Offer it to a local food bank? A local butcher might process it for them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I believe, and am open to correction, that any food for human consumption must be done via someone with the appropriate courses done. Safe handling, meat handling, etc.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Paddyviking

Could you leave a carcass out for foxes, buzzards, ravens etc

Pv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭JP22

I guess you could but I think some would balk at the idea of good venison meat going to waste.

There are lots of us out there who wouldn’t refuse free venison provided it was butchered to current food regs.

I agree, shooting a deer and leaving it to rot for the scavengers is a mortal sin.

Give the meat to charity, plenty of people going cold and hungry this time of year unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭ferrete

No one going to give you free version butcher to current regulations. You would need to donate or gift them somthing in return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭JP22

Absolutely, when I say free, I don't mean free free, unless it's to charity.

Free, as in not full retail cost, ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Give to local hunt to feed the hounds?

Advertisement