Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Haggling at used car dealership

Options
  • 20-10-2023 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So, likely buying a new (used) second hand car tomorrow.

I'm by no means a doormat but also not the most practiced haggler.

Wanna get as much off as possible but I'm not sure whats typical and whats realistic these days...

Ideally I want to find the line between :

"Naw, you're alright " and "Go on , you've twisted my arm".

For context, the car is listed as £3550 .

Yes , its an import from NI and yes, I've factored in all the additional VRT /etc costs.

Hit me with your finest haggle lines .

(Serious tips only please).

Tagged:

Comments

You'll get nothing off these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've found NIRL/UK dealers very reluctant to offer anything off at all from the advertised price, 5% would be doing very well. The larger car supermarket type places even less so and will likely stick to advertised price.

Have you fully done your homework regards VRT costs? If it's a diesel at that pricepoint it's likely the NOX duty will blow any savings out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

Bring the full amount but keep the 550 separate and offer 3000, if no joy offer 3250 and start walking away if they don't accept it. Then you decide if you want to offer a bit more or just pay the asking price. I know most won't want to give anything off but if you don't ask.....

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

If he won't budge ask for extras to be thrown into the deal i.e. full fuel tank, extra wheel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

you'd be better off Dancin' in the moonlight

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Goose81

I tried to haggle about 3 months ago on a used car that was 35k and sales guy was having none of it.

I then jokingly said at least give me 10 quid off, I'm not paying the asking price and he basically told me to **** off that if I didn't buy it for the asking price someone else would the next day and was genuinely prepared to let me walk away over 10 quid.

You won't get anything off unless it's a private seller

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a car of that value being sold by a Northern dealer, I'd be very surprised if you get anything off. They generally don't accept haggling on prices like dealers in the south used to do, even on cars asking multiple times what that one is priced at. Different culture in NI/UK when it comes to pricing cars, they generally ask what they want for the car whereas dealers down here always built a bit of fat for haggling into their asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The most powerful position you can have is to name a price and just be willing to walk away then. Give them your number and call if they want to talk.

All is not as rosy as it seems out there and there isn’t a huge surplus of cash with most people. I notice a lot of expensive cars sitting on dealer forecourts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

I bought a top spec 191 volvo v60 last year. Mid 30's k car. Asked dealer what he would take off as I was buying cash expecting a decent bit. He knocked 200 off and didn't budge after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭goochy

each deal is different , a dealer won’t give discount on a car he knows will sell easily at that price or that he only got into stock . If a dealer advertises a car to sell quickly he’s not going to reduce it even further just to make it it feel better . He will only discount if he knows he’s priced it a bit high or it’s been in stock a while and he needs to shift it badly . Nothing more annoying then someone insisting on a better price when they are already getting something at a good price !

Advertisement