Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazzing in Cork

Options
  • 21-10-2023 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all. A friend and I are heading to Cork on the Saturday of the jazz weekend. We're looking for recommendations to go somewhere nice for lunch where there might be a some live jazz. Thanks! Could you also recommend someplace else where we could have a dessert and a coffee after? Thanks so much! Really looking forward to our trip to the capital of the South!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rebelle

I'm not sure how many places have jazz at lunchtime.....where you could eat as well. If you were happy to go for "late lunch" then maybe The Oliver Plunkett. There's music in The Imperial at 3 o'clock as well. I would suggest that you go somewhere nice for lunch and then go jazzin'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Town very busy today queues for oliver plunkett deep south at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was a huge queue of dolled up youngsters outside Deep South at 1 o clock on Saturday. The mind boggled at what might be going on in there and how it was so well subscribed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

This seems to be the de facto Jazz 2023 thread.

The website listed a Jazz Jamboree on Sunday evening @ 5pm outside the Opera House https://guinnesscorkjazz.com/the-big-fringe/

Turned up on Sunday, closer to 5:20 / 5:30 after getting the kids out of the house to find them starting the get out and breaking down the stage... A good few others hanging around expecting something to start. A real shame.

I know Covid has had its effect on the Jazz, but I recall 2018 / 2019 being better. Maybe it was because I was younger (and kid less!) then, but I remember the parade on the Thursday night being nice. One year, we were in the River Lee and it had the bands coming through over the course of the night has opposed to just one band being in for the night. Enjoyed that a lot, wish it would go back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I reckon sponsorship must be down or something. The Met used to be amazing with bands in multiple rooms and crowds of all ages mulling around the place, kids dancing etc. Now it's just a band in the bar and you've to be eating to enter.

The program could have done with a section by day and time.

Good crowds in town but it was definitely better in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Yeah, again a memory of 2018 (I think) and going by the Metropole during the day when it was free entry. Lots of families about and a nice atmosphere. I recall they had a youth band over from the US to perform, they were a blast.

Advertisement