Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babies are not that expensive..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Kids are cheap, thanks to hand-me-downs and charity/2nd hand shops, we got a ton of stuff that way.

the massive cost that is starting to rear its ugly head after a year is the child minding, 60-75 euro per day is absolutely bonkers, and they generally have 1-2 more kids they are caring for. It equals min wage for 1 child, with 2 other thrown in along with no cost to mind their own and you have a fantastic income, our mortgage is less than what we will pay for minding 1 child.

Anyway, I can't complain too much, we are in a position where we can job share eventually but how a couple renting or on the lower income side of things can manage is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Wait till they get to college, you’ll be broken by that 😞

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

90 quid? Where can you get them for that much?

Paid 5 grand for one of mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I heard about a lady with loads of kids who was getting on a bus and their wasn't enough room for the buggy. So, she left it at the bus stop and told everybody she'd get a new one from social welfare for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

To anyone saying a mother chooses to keep working - many families will need the second income and take the hit until the child starts school, there's also the hit to your pension if you just down tools, it can also be harder to step back into work, especially in a competitive industry where you've lost years of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

It's like how long is a piece of string? Some parents are in a situation where they have a high income and/or both working so they might have high childcare costs and/or get the expensive stuff for children. Others may be full time parents and get hand me downs or charity shop/donedeal stuff. Like everything it can be done on a budget. Some people might in year one spend 30,000 on a baby , some might spend 5000 or less, with no deprivational effect on the child. BTW how much is child allowance now?

I think also there is some kind of working family minimal income allowance that adds some extra allowance per child. I looked it up a few years ago..like say the income was 500 a week for a 2 child family then the SW would top up to 650 a week etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭nachouser

You'd spend more than that on a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭martco

OP I reckon your €90 pw is derived from is one of those standard issue numbers seemingly posited by economic theorists that sets out the average cost to raise a child to the age of 21 @ €100k

100,000 /21 = 4,762 pa

4,762 /52 = €91.57 per week

I've raised 3 myself

I have no idea ultimately how much it did cost in the end because I didn't keep a ledger for it like a weirdo but I'd expect it's in the ballpark alright and possibly a bit shy actually

I can tell you something. If I had a time machine I wouldn't change anything because I reckon I've just about managed to do it. BUT if I was starting off again with today's economic and social setup I'm fairly sure I wouldn't want to have any. No way would I want to bring a child into the world planned, given the cost of living and its continued divergence from wages precarious employment coupled with a virtually zero chance of ever buying and owning a gaff. all a bit of whimsy sure but demographics will have dire consequences for likes of services, pensions etc. down the line. kaboom.

Advertisement