Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended floor wall gap

Options
  • 21-10-2023 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hello,

Currently renovating a 1950s home. As I’m removing skirting, I’m left with some sizeable gaps between the brickwork and suspended wooden floors.

What’s the best way for filling this gap? I was going to use some sort of expanding foam - but unsure of the yay vs nay of the subject!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Lift floors carefully. Insulated between joists using roof breathable felt to hold insulation between joist. Add vapour barrier taped and sealed to walls above the joists. Relay floors. Trim vapour barrier behind new skirting. Make sure barrier is fully air-tight before fixing skirting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

To address the gaps, I'd be tempted to try back-fill it with sand & cement, but it looks like a tricky location to get access to without lifting floors. Bonding might work better as it's lighter and easier to work with. Make up a stiff enough mix, don't add too much water. Use it to even out the face of the wall too. It's very forgiving stuff and is my go-to for filling big gaps. It's gypsum mixed with vermiculite.

Expanding foam could be an option, but that's not going to work well as a surface to bond onto if you go down the route of what BryanF and Gumbo recommended.

Advertisement