Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different electrician for 2nd fix.

Options
  • 21-10-2023 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello Folks, have a little problem and am wondering if anyone here can offer advice.

Employed an electrician to do the complete wiring of my new house and paid him half (as he requested) to complete 1st fix. That was in summer 2021, middle of covid. I was almost a year in hospital(lucky to be alive really) and was only ready for 2nd fix this summer. Electrician had called me numerous times in the 2 years and I apologized each time and explained the issue.

I was finally ready this summer for 2nd fix but had trouble contacting electrician. Took 2 weeks and he told me he was no longer working as a contractor but doing something else. He was angry and bitter. Blamed me for him "losing" the 2nd fix job on my house, said I owed him compensation as 2nd fix is where he makes his money!! All I could do was apologize and offered to employ anyone he could recommend to finish. He said he knew no other electricians.

I spent a month looking for someone to finish but no one wants to touch it. I went back to him and asked him for a note to say I had paid him fully for first fix. He wrote a note but said only he wasn't working as contractor anymore and that he had called me many times in the 2 years but I wouldn't answer my phone !! That was a lie as I always answered or called him back. Anyway,regardless, I couldn't finish if I were in hospital.

His note has only worked against me and he will not change it. He told me then to just give his number, which I did and every electrician who I gave his number to never got back to me. This has now gone on for months on end and I am fed up.

Advice would be appreciated,

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JonathanAl

sorry, I forgot the question, which is basically how can I find an electrician who will complete 2nd fix.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

It may be difficult to find an electrical contractor to take this on as it’s always difficult to come in after someone else.everything will have to be checked

was this electrician a registered electrical contractor?

there is a process that you have to undergo to follow the correct procedures

https://safeelectric.ie/help/change-of-contractor/

thanks Meercat, it looks complicated. Yes he was registered at the time although he is no longer registered. When he did the job he said he was just back from Saudi Arabia whee he worked for a number of years and asked to use my house as an example for a reci inspection to complete his paperwork as he had been out of Ireland so long. Nobody knew him and I was wary but he asked me for a chance and I trusted him. He also put into the note he gave me that he had been 3 years calling me. In fact, it was 18 months. I suppose he was confused. Needless to say this also put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

I wouldn’t give anyone else his number. Sounds like he holds a grudge and is more than likely bad mouthing you to the other guy’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I think persist and you will find someone to finish it. As others have mentioned there should be a change on contractor process completed.

Is it wired in the new cable type? White outer sheath or grey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

the important thing is your health is ok. Try finding a local contractor from this link. The issue is that the installation has to be inspected beforehand to see if it’s wired correctly and also inspected when works are completed and certified (by safe electric)

recs will tend to avoid jobs like this and do simpler/straightforward work that they have started and finished themselves.

if this is the first job that the original contractor did then there’s a possibility he wouldn’t be up to speed with the regulations and some/all of 1st fix will need to be redone (I’ve had to do this in the past on an installation to ensure it’s integrity)

https://safeelectric.ie/find-an-electrician/

thanks to all who replied. I don't know what type of wiring it is. I suspect new type as he said there were recent changes which he was adhering to. Also, he was expecting the house to be inspected so would have acted accordingly. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Who can blame them

The system and the wiring rules in this country are designed to make this sort of thing awkward

Advertisement