Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power shower

Options
  • 22-10-2023 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

If the power shower main switch is left on is the unit using power

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Very little but there was a poster here had his power shower switching on with a fault on PCB probably

So id be switching power shower isolators off after a shower

Pumped electric showers would be reliably off when turned off at the shower and pull cords can give trouble in use

I'd tend to leave those pullcords/wall isolators in the on-position(, notwithstanding the fire departments recommendations )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I see the advice to leave pull-cord/wall isolators in the “on” position posted on here frequently enough.

Would the same apply to hob/oven isolation switches?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The advice of the leaving the electric shower isolation switch on is given because they aren't designed to be turned on & off several times a day.

The advice from the fire officer is to turn it off when not in use. They can go up on fire when not in use. Not common but I would see at least one per year. There is a rare fault with the Mira Elite shower where electricity goes to the element when shower is powered off. This causes the water in the heating can to come to a boil within 20 seconds. The water expands and boiling water spits out of the shower head. It may happen with other showers but I've only ever seen it with the Mira Elite.

Personally I'd recommend replacing the pull cord switch with a wall switch. These can be turned on & off more often than the pull cord switch

There's probably a small risk with any appliance left energized

Fridge fires for example are not unknown but they are left constantly on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fire off also recommends never using washing machine, dishwasher etc when you go to bed or if you are leaving the house. I believe there were several million washing machines recalled recently because of increase risk of going on fire. Anyone on a night or smart rate will totally ignore these warnings.

There is no rule set in concrete. It's really down to what you feel comfortable about. There was a fire safety add years ago that suggested turning almost everything off at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you isolate your oven you'll probably have to readjust the clock every time you switch it on. Who could be bothered with that?

That was the system back in the day, switch everything off at night , can't really do that now. I still switch off what I can

As sleeper12 said the use of dryers etc unattended is a safety issue

Adequate fire protection and extinguishers is important.You still see it everywhere ignorance of the hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No fire-officer would be allowing Shelly devices and internet of things in their houses anyway @kirk. 😁

Between routers, automatic lamps, temperature sensors etc, I must have around 30 mains-powered devices, all told.

Advertisement