Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COL bonus payments.

• 22-10-2023 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭

I wish the Dept could see the absolute carnage the announcement of these bonuses and lump sums has caused in the long term welfare dependent community.

The immediate euphoria was quickly replaced by demands to know the exact date it’s going to be paid out. Reassuring people that it will be the “week beginning…” simply wouldn’t wash.

What date in January is the bonus week?No, not the week beginning, the exact date? What time will it be in the PO?

People are angry that if Mary on DCA was getting hers on Monday with her DCA that Joan on DA had to wait till Wednesday.

This quickly led into a discussion that Mary on DCA shouldn’t actually be getting it at all because she’s not on a weekly payment.

Apparently the electricity credit of €450 shouldn’t be given to houses where there’s no SW payment being paid.

Initial gratitude soon gave way to dissatisfaction that it simply wasn’t enough and all SW payments should be raised to a minimum of €350 per week.

Child benefit should be paid to any parent who had a child living at home with them irregardless of the age of that child.

I sincerely hope that next budget they return to the Christmas bonus and leave it at that.

Ive never seen so many so miserable at being given so much.

Rant over.

Post edited by mp22 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,457 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I'm also upset about Mary on DCA was getting hers on Monday and don't get me started about that Joan on DA having to wait until the hump of the week 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

4.10% unemployment rate in Ireland... but yeah, go ahead and slag off the single parents, people on disability and carers..for wanting to keep their homes warm this winter. Hope you never have the need for these services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭SourSessions

In the 'long term welfare dependent community' or whatever people you seem to be around? I haven't seen any of that or even heard it from a friend of a friend as gossip. You want people with disabilities, carers, etc, to go without next year to get one up on a couple of moany shites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I’m sorry but I don’t see any carnage either amongst various groups that will be in receipt of cost of living measures. I saw a lot of bitching on Facebook and ‘unfunny’ memes from people who are in full time employment or self employed farmers. So much so that I made a post briefly outlining my journey through ill health and how tough it is surviving on a social welfare income alone, as I did for an extended period. I asked people to be kind to each other and pointed out that it was free of charge to do so. The budget always brings the begrudgers out and they come from all walks of life. I’d hardly describe it as carnage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The actual Dates of COL payments have been posted in media & on the DSP website, so anyone posting here asking, are just being lazy.

If I'm being objective, the mere fact Government feels compelled to pay out COL Payments says more about the fact Core SW payments are to low. Two years ago & before the COL crisis, expert independent groups agreed the core rate should be €49 more PW than it was then. Then the COL arrives and by any measure it's been brutal for those on low & fixed incomes. It's crucified working families on good & Middle incomes, the affects on those on low & fixed incomes even worse.

At a Basic Level, the value €220 PW prior to the COL has greatly diminished, at a minimum a single persons weekly shopping is €20 per week more, then there's the cost of utilities etc.

I'd argue an appropriate rise in Core Payments is needed, increments of €12 PW, insulting.

As someone awarded DA just recently, I do get additional allowances, for which I'm greatful. I've a small mortgage hoping to clear shortly, I'm fortunate but have to be very careful with my income, particularly if there's an emergency.

I don't expect hand outs, I worked for over 30 years but I do question €220 as a core payment, wether it be unemployment or Disability payment.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

What a charming person you are. Such compassion. So (and this is based on a real story) imagine a person who has worked hard for basically 40 years. They lose their job due to the impact of Covid on so many businesses/sectors. They try looking for work but given that they've only had that one job, and also given that there are lots of younger people who have more in the way of skills, they can't get another job no matter how they try and they have to support themselves, family, heat their homes, pay their bills. In your eyes they're getting too much and should be basically turfed onto the street because they can't make ends meet?

Like someone else said above, I hope you never end up in that sort of situation where these "bonuses" are the difference between having a roof over your head and being on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I’m going to report this post as attacking me and not addressing my post.

I hardly ever report any posts but I’m going to report this, because it’s disgusting.

I’ll give you a chance first to point out in my post where, specifically, I said that anyone is (and I quote) “getting too much” or “should be turfed out on the street”.

Please point it out. You’ve accused me of saying that so it should be no problem to you.

I realize that you most likely are completely unused to any one calling you to account about anything but, here it is.

If you even took the time to look back on my posting history on this forum you would see that I have years of helping total strangers on the internet to achieve their entitlements.

In my experience these extra payments have caused friendships and family relationships to break down. I wish the government wouldn’t do it.

What have you ever done for anyone, incidentally?

Now point out where I said either of the things I’ve asked you to expand on or I will report you and I will pursue the report until I am satisfied.

Cool! Happy to be reported cos clearly I touched a nerve which shows you know I have a point.

I'm also basing what I said on the horrific stuff you said in relation to someone who was made redundant and was suicidal and couldn't do a particular jobs scheme and you implied that they were making it up and didn't deserve any support. You have form fir your lack of compassion. So by all means report away!

You have absolutely no point. Pretty pointless is what you are.

I’ve reported you for abuse and asked the mod to point out the rules of the forum to you.

I’m going to report this post too, unless you can, within 5 minutes, direct me to the post where I told a suicidal person that they were making it up.

This is repulsive and you are attempting to bully and intimidate and it won’t be tolerated

Within 5 mins - your control-freakery is hilarious

Here you go, read it and be ashamed (though I doubt you know the meaning of that word):

like other people have said, but you are only targeting me (abusive...) I hope you never end up needing to rely on SWA.

• Advertisement

I actually think that there’s something wrong with you now. There must be.

No where in that thread did I imply that anyone was making anything up about being suicidal. I and at least two others in a very short thread informed the sister of a woman applying for an illness payment , quite correctly, that the sisters GP was not obliged, by any standards, to complete and/or sign a medical report.

You seem to think that it would have been “nicer” if we had told her to waste her time and money get a solicitor or something.

Im sorry you’re apparently finding life so difficult yourself that you feel you have to try to bully and grandstand in order to feel better about yourself. You’ve simply picked on the wrong person this time.

But I’m not going to block you. I will report this post too though as you’re continuing to try and force a narrative that doesn’t exist.

Well said

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement