Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefit-in-kind taxation for purchasing electric car through my own company

• 22-10-2023 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I've ordered a new Election car, it will arrive in January 2024. Instead of purchasing it privately, I am considering buying it through the company and possibly purchasing it from the company in 2025 (after a year of depreciation) at fair market value.

The cost of the car is €53,612. That means at 52% income tax I would need to earn €103,100 before tax at the marginal rate (52%) to pay for it. I calculated first-year BIK at roughly €2k which would be much less than the expected depreciation (~20%) so it should be much cheaper to do it like this.

Here are my calculations (with references): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SUqM-HUiSpLVQeBXsJM7PAfzsjPHMMUbVL6ua_g9_7k/edit?usp=sharing

I want to make sure that (a) my calculations are correct and (b) that there aren't any unintended tax implications that I'm missing. I will run this by my accountant during the week but I'm hoping to get a gut check first.

Comments

Advertisement