Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance with cohabiting partner

Options
  • 23-10-2023 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I’m hoping somebody can help me understand this better.

I am in the process of applying for Disability Allowance. I have no savings or income, and I live with my mother. I’m pretty sure I will qualify, as I am quite severely disabled.

The thing is, my partner was planning to come and live with me at my mother’s house in the near future, but I’m worried about how that would affect my rate of allowance.

If my partner’s income is around €500 per week, with about €2500 in savings, what sort of a rate would I be looking at?

I’ve been trying to work it out, and from what I can gather they’ll take 50% of earnings between €165 and €375 (€105), and then 100% of earnings over €375 into account (€125). That makes a total of €230.

Since this is over the maximum DA payment of €220, does this mean I wouldn’t be entitled to anything if my partner came to live with me? Or have I gotten it completely wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭SourSessions

€500 - €60 (€20 per day disregard, max) - 60% of the balance (€264) = €176

Maximum weekly rate = €366 (€220 + €146 Qualified Adult)

€366 - €176 = €190 << the rate you would get

This is based on net income

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That’s not the correct calculation for Disability Allowance Sour Sessions, that’s for jobseekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,416 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....or maybe dont ever inform them of your partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry I’m wrong, it is actually correct. I thought means was calculated the same way as a single person. It isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

• Advertisement
Advertisement