Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defy Advanced vs Ultimate CF SL 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

For looks alone I'd be going with the Giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not quite a like for like comparison.

The equivalent of the Giant Defy would be the Canyon Endurace, whereas the Canyon Ultimate equivalent is the Giant TCR.

That will be the main difference - Defy is a slightly more relaxed riding position, it will take wider tires and possibly even mudguards. The Ultimate is a slightly racier bike. I think your first choice needs to be which geometry you are going for.

I've never ridden a Defy but my last bike was a Canyon Ultimate and my current one is a Giant TCR - there is very little difference to be fair. In the end for me it came down to value for money when I was upgrading - the Giant was almost cheaper given the spec and could be picked up from a local bike shop. Also found sizing a bit odd on the Canyon but that is probably because I am really in between two sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

I bought a Defy Advanced 1 a year ago and I have to say I love it, it's very comfortable to ride even on ultra long days in the saddle. My other "good" bike is a Felt F1 which is a full on race bike (probably more comparable to the Canyon the OP is looking at) and I'd still say it is snappier and faster handling than the Giant but that's just down to the geometry and lower weight, you do feel every bump on the road on it compared to the Defy though.

The big issue I had with the Defy is the PR2 wheels, in my case the bearings were crap, totally failed after the first winter, I had a nice pair of carbon wheels got for the summer so it wasn't the end of the world, the shop I bought the bike from (Buckleys in Tullamore) replaced the bearings under warranty with no issues at all, they're going back on for the winter this weekend so we'll see how they last this year.

I fitted a set of Giant speedshield RGX mudguards to it this week and did 190km on them last weekend, not a rattle out of them so happy enough with them.

I'd recommend the Defy to anyone but keep an eye on the wheel bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

PR2 wheel bearings have been crap for years. Just to echo, I'm actively investigating n+1, and the ultimate is the canyon "not as aero" race bike. I have a 2016 Defy, and the only issue I've ever had with it is the wheel bearings, and that it was just before the trend for bigger clearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Both great bikes. I never liked the defy in the past but I think they're a crackin bike now. Unusual to see an A vs B choice with canyon being the more expensive! Doesn't look too be much of a spec differential either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Just seen the new defy on display and it's very nice, would make a lot of sense if your a one bike person and have a few sets of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Have had a Defy Advanced Pro for about 10k km now. Lovely bike to ride but watch out for the following

1) Paint - particularly on the multi coloured versions - is prone to serious chipping.

2) It uses that poxy pressfit BB86 bottom bracket design. ( Mind you, so does the Ultimate)

3) Make sure you get a rear mudguard bridge for the stays. That way you can fit any third party normal mudguard

4) If you want to fit a dynamo or other lamp bracket to the fork crown, there's no forward facing mounting hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Cube Agree C:62 Race € 3,750

Did you consider this? I looked at Di2 options and preferred Ultegra for the bottoms on the hoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Some discounts going around on Treks at the moment that might be worth a look. This is not di2 but it's ultegra. I recently bought an SL5 and it's lovely. Mechanical 105 but it works wonderfully. It's as good as any groupset I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

I am also considering the 2024 Defy advanced pro 2, looks good in pictures , has more clearance for wider tyres ,ie canal paths, On a negative point for me it looks like the stem is not reversible , maybe too low for me. Waiting to see it in the flesh and stem solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Advertisement