Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Consumer Unit Needed?

• 23-10-2023 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on putting in an external 32a commando socket to run a 7kw log splitter and some other electrical machinery I have recently acquired.

I've attached a photo of my consumer unit, I'm wondering if the electrician I get to install it will be able to use the existing blank spaces - there is already two 40a circuits on the board. It's also the older type with no door so is it permitted? I'm not worried about overloading the supply as it will only be occasionally used and that can be managed.

I'm guessing that an rcbo is all I'll need to provide him, or do you recommend anything else. Will a modern day garo rcbo work in this unit? I'll be getting him to survey it and tell me the bits I need but I'd like to get an idea of the complexity of what I'm asking him to do (and consequently how much it will cost!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Nothing in your photo to suggest it can’t be connected. A 32A RCBO would be the way to go.

The may be a question about whether it would need to be interlocked with the shower, to prevent the two being used together, but I wouldn't see any great need to be honest.

Might be a good opportunity to replace the main switch fuse unit at the top right of your board. They have a tendency to become loose and overheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭meercat

Main cable size will be a determining factor

you need a priority switch for those showers also

When you say you aren’t to worried about overloading the supply.it’s not up to you to control .the installation should be capable of taking the load. What if the external socket was changed for a car charger at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Do the regulations require that a priority switch be fitted. Ideally yes I would but this location is a second home and one shower is rarely used, the other never and I want to minimise cost and difficulty of the job. It has a good big yard though for working in.

If I need one I'll get one though. Is there such a thing as a manual change switch, I presume that would be cheaper? Would the regulations require that the two existing showers be wired into this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭meercat

Yes a priority or non priority switch is required by regulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Don't think theres any wiring rule stopping you fitting a manual changeover switch

Much better just fit an automatic non priority control board

Both need a REC anyhow

Not a great setup there the 2 showers and the slide in/push up neozed switch fuse

Also you've an all C type domestic board for some reason , it's not needed and Zls must be low enough for the final circuits

Post edited by kirk. on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Don't fit the priority anyhow they're beyond a joke if they're even allowed

Shower stops, user walks out and shower restarts

I'd say there's be insurance questions if you fit one and there's a flood

At least with non priority they'll probably see it's not coming on and turn it back off, probably

I presume the pumped electric showers still restart when power comes back

Advertisement