Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing a messed up light switch

• 24-10-2023 7:21pm

Had the decorators in and they removed the light switch then reinstalled them. Every since they were reinstalled it's been a mess.

Basically need to play around with all the switches in various positions to get lights to turn on and off.

It's looks like a two way light switch, so I think it's just the wires are messed up. Obviously you wont be able to tell from the photos exactly what is where.

But two things that jump out to me, Is there any reason for a "jumper" wire between the left and middle top connectors? And should there be two wires going into the top right connector? I always thought it was basically one wire per hole.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Looks like someone has opened a right can of worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

How and why is every wire brown??????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Most light switches I've seen here only have switching on the live circuit meaning that all the wires are brown. Can be a pain if your installing a smart light switch that also requires neutral.

One light is just the outdoor light so should be relatively simple, on and off.

Then there are:

Living room lights

Kitchen lights (in the kitchen there are three gang switch to separately control the led lamp, spots and cabinet lights)

Downstairs hall light

Upstairs landing light

I can't remember how the lights worked before the switch was removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The decorators never should have went anywhere near the wires. Open the switch OK but to take the switch off no. Only a qualified electrician should do that. They could have got killed. It has happened. They think the power is off to all the cables in that switch but it might not be there might be a strapper from upstairs there with power in it or another live they touch it and thats it lights out they are dead or nearly dead.

I think most modern light circuits are on rcds as well now do but still get a nasty shock before the rcd trips but not enough to kill a healthy person with a strong heart.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I didn't tell them to do it, they just did, so now I'm trying to undo the mess.

There are 8 wires coming down which would make sense I think?

• 3 for the first 2 way switch
    • 3 for the second 2 way switch
    • 2 for the outdoor 1 way switch

Is there an easy way to identify which is which?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just to say as an aside, my house was rewired at a guess 15-20 years ago to what I feel is a modern enough standard and lights are not on an RCD. Ask me how I know lol.

I think the only way you can work this out for sure is to get a long lead, the type they do for earth testing and do a continuity test from the wires at each fitting back to the switch and try to work it out.

If they're not marked, there's no other way and no trial and error approach is going to work to solve this. Not sure if the jumper is required... maybe to achieve a 3-way? No idea... plenty of youtube vids explain the set up which you may need to watch to become familiar and just be aware there are different ways to approach it so not all vids will be relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

A lot has changed in 5 years never mind 10/15 years.

the jumper wire wasn't put it for the craic.

I'll have to install an active 3-way switch in my bedroom 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Thats not at all how it would be sorted. Someone who knows what they are at can sort that without too much hassle, without the long leads, which would not be practical.

Amazing how someone who hadn't a clue would remove it and think they can refit, with no note of how it was connected.

Because the decorators didn't use enough paint

• Advertisement

Unlikely to trip an rcd unless there was also an earth touched at same time as a phase. Won't happen just touching a phase either unless standing barefoot on wet ground outside. Unless footwear and laminate floors, carpets etc have now become conductors. Passed on assumptions and traditions often don't match what happens in real life.

A shock can however be received contacting switch feed and switch wire together. Won't be tripping any rcd though. In these situations I would sort the switch with power on to it, to help identify whats what. But that's not for painters, diy'ers, or anyone besides the qualified and experienced.

For 2 x 2 way and single switch the minimum is 6 wires if no loop onto another switch position. Usually 7 because they do loop to another switch, so feed in, loop out, 4 strappers & switch wire to light from single way switch.

8 means either 2 circuits at your 3 gang switch, or an extra loop out, or 2 lights from 1 switch wire terminal etc.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Just looking at this again - what exact do you mean by loop into another switch? I'm looking at that one "jumper" cable and trying to work out what it's meant to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

And this is why decorator shouldn't have touched it in first place and you shouldn't either, for your own safety.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

But that's not for painters, diy'ers, or anyone besides the qualified and experienced.

I agree. They never should have went near it. @OP Hire on electrician to fix it and send the bill to the painters. Then they will never do this again.

@OP They are not called jumpers it's called a loop and it is to loop the power around the switch. You could have a live cable running into that switch from the board or looped from another switch and it could then end there depending whereabouts on your circuit of switches it is or it could continue on to another one. So you could have one or two live wires at your switch with one being the primary live wire the other just continuing on and then you could have switch wires aka the ones going to the lights and strappers which is a twin brown wire and they can be live or switched depending on the way the switches are.

Also the wires are not in connectors they are in terminals in the back of the switch.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement