Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a phone on Amazon?

Options
  • 25-10-2023 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

What's the best option for buying a phone on Amazon?

I was on Amazon UK and was thinking about a Samsung that was approx €250 but when added to checkout there was an extra €50 put onto it

Why is this happening with a phone but not other items?

If i use amazon.de is there anything to look out for in terms of phone working here, etc

Or is there any other sites I should use instead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Brexit is the reason for the import fee. Only difference with phone coming from .de would be the plug if it ships with one at all as most phones don’t anymore. German one would come with 2 pin so you could just buy an adapter or use an existing charger you have. As for the phone it will the exact same phone as you would get from uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I haven't noticed a charge being added for other items I've purchased from Amazon UK only when I went to purchase the phone for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

https://www.hagglezon.com/ will give you a comparison of European Amazons, although the Belgian one does not ship outside Belgium. Also check the price on Gomobi.ie, which is a Netherlands based operation. You will get a two pin plug, but the price is better than Amazon on some phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

The breakdown of the charges is at the checkout. You won’t have inport fees on cheap items. I think it’s something like under €22 or €26. After that you will incur a proportionate import fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Amazon have their site set up so your paying for any possible duties etc coming from the UK. Any fees owed to you will be refunded but the pricing is correct.

It might work out cheaper to buy from Germany or France and buy a 3 pin plug here. Bear in mind, some of the Amazon regional sites won't allow you to buy some phones shipping to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 MobileTester

Since Brexit I have been buying phones on amazon.de only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

No, the VAT is now payable on everything, the rules were changed last year.

Amazon.it can be good for phone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Sometimes I notice Amazon UK just gets it wrong on checkout for particular items - a fault of their calculations for that item. Seems mostly to occur for me on an item supplied by a 3rd party but fulfilled by Amazon. They add the irish VAT then also add the import fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Use https://www.hagglezon.com/ compare Amazon prices across Europe.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Advertisement