Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax efficient investments for non-domiciled Irish resident

• 25-10-2023 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Good morning everyone,

I am a non-domiciled Irish resident that is looking for tax efficient investments, especially but not limited to the 41% exit tax and deem disposal.

I do hold some capital into a corporate US brokerage account, coming from RSU vested positions that I would like to invest. I was told by a tax advisor that, although I do have to pay income tax at the time those shares vest, as a non-domiciled Irish resident as long as I don't remit those funds to Ireland this would not trigger a tax event, hence not having to pay CGT.

This is a great deal of course, yet I would prefer to diversify this portfolio (On Index funds, ETFs, etc.) rather than keeping all that capital into a single company stock as long as I don't have to pay 41% exit tax, plus deemed disposal. Ideally I would love to keep the advantage of 0% taxes on gains, although I might consider a low tax rate such as 15%.

My tax advisor recommended looking to ETFs that happen to be domiciled on the US, or other off-shore jurisdiction but very importantly that fit the criteria of "Non-equivalent" fund in the EU/Irish market.

There seems to be no such product in DEGIRO, I think US ETFs were delisted to meet PRIIPS.

I've been also looking into opening a US broker account with Schwab who accept Irish residents starting at 25kUSD, and which confirmed automatic withholding of 15% taxes on gains, but I am unclear on the tax implications, both here in Ireland and in the US.

In a nutshell my questions are

- What would be the criteria to identify "Non-equivalent" ETFs in the legal documentation? Would that be non-UCITS?

- Does anyone have a specific product recommendation that would meet some of those criteria?

- What (and where) would be the best way of buying it?

- Any other strategy or investment recommendation for a non-domiziled?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement