Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fresh or old dent?

• 25-10-2023 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭

I've just rented a car (fully covered) in Spain. I've noticed this dent and scrape. It definitely didn't happen while driving. It's like it happened when the car was parked

I'm also wondering if it was like before I rented it. Can anyone with a good eye for detail if this is a historical or fresh dent?

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

That looks like rust!! That couldn't have just happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

If it wasn't highlighted on your documents when you collected the car then it could well be yours - no matter when it happened. ALWAYS walk around and do a full inspection of the car before driving off when you are renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

is that brown stuff:

1) a paint burn from the other yoke that caused the dent (its own paint that it has frictioned itself off onto your panel) ?

2) surface rust?

its hard to 100% tell from your pic

if it is surface rust then that damage is as old as the hills defo historical

modern galvo panels like that yoke would have to be exposed for weeks/months to have surface rust like that show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

Yep 100% agree. It was dark and lashing rain, I really should have. Anyway was told at reception don't worry about checking marks etc on the car as I'm totally covered. Interesting looking back now why they said that. Also this damage is not included in their docs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Core6

That does look like it is rust so must be an old scrape.

Your rental agreement should have a schematic of the car with the previous scrapes and dents marked on it.

Also, they should have walked you around the car showing you the existing scrapes and marks before you drove off.

Having had a few rows with car rental companies and a few nervous moments like you're having now, I take photos of each panel before driving off.

That stops any discussion on the rental car return.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you didn’t identify them befor rental. Then it’s on you.

You could argue and ask theM to show you the previous rental rerun slip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

they never walk you around anymore. its your responsibility. I rented in munich this summer and tehy told me that even if i did find something not to comeback to them. to log it as an issue on their website (europcar).

much more regulation needed in this industry i think.

OP - sorry to say but thats gonna cost you. Unless you have something in your agreement saying its fine (or you paid the full excess waiver). Expect them to start with a huge figure and negotiate downwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got a car in Scotland during the summer, was the worst car I ever got, so many scratches and dents.

I took your man out for over half an hour as the image of the car on the rental agreement was blank!!!!

I hate European rentals, love Alamo in the US, quick walk around and done there and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Unless you have been told you are not liable for damages, you will be fleeced

You could go to a local resprayer, or panel beater, etc, before you drop it back

Why ?

local guy will charge you X

rental co X x 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'm amazed you accepted that when given it, thats the left hand side of the car so you'd hardly miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Surely if he is fully covered it doesn't matter when it happened as they won't look for the money from him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I took out the rental crowds own insurance in Malta, best money you'll ever spend, 100% covered for any damage, they dont even check the car on return and no deposit or credit card needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How did that not scream at you when you took the car ?

Good question. It was torrential rain, kids and other distractions. Was only later when I saw it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

If you have full cover (as mentioned in the op) no excess etc then it doesn't matter,you can put a few more dents in it and it still won't matter.

If you've taken the cheaper option and there's some sort of excess then you're in trouble.

Ive taken both options before (and also 3rd party insurance)I never understand why people don't understand the differences between the 3 options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭GavPJ

How long between when you picked it up and noticing it? Rain on a dent like that can bring surface rust up in a day or so.

Especially if you are beside the sea.

I think that would have jumped out at you if it was there when you collected it.

Thanks for the responses. So when I returned the car, I was told don't worry, it was already like that, despite it not being documented in the damage report

Forgot to mention, it was an upgrade

Advertisement