Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N and L plates both displayed.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It:s all Dutch to me!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This kind of thing says a lot about this country, it sends a signal to the least experienced drivers that rules don't matter. Which is probably a realistic message given the lack of enforcement of most other things, but it is not a good one all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Why are people unable to take a few moments to comply with rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭GBX

And you comply with every rule of the road? Don't get dizzy up there on your high horse ..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would think few people go around with a note around their necks advertising their intention to break the rules.

If only we had a little enforcement from AGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Enforcement of what exactly? It's not an offence to display either or both even if the car was never driven by an L or N driver.

People want to get hung up on rules and regulations when there's no need in this instance. As pointed out numerous times already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

It is a very basic rule, if you are ignoring that one what else are you not bothering with, when did you last check your tyres, is your car properly maintained, do you have insurance, sure that is only another rule.

A nice simple way to avoid attracting attention to yourself is to not advertise that you think that the rules do not apply to you.

Which rule exactly though? Displaying the required plate? Don't see the problem. Having 2 is not an offence or a broken rule.

Speaking of ignoring, do you or have you broken any rules ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Is there actually a law against having an L plate if you are not a learner provided it is not interfering with vision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Other than the statute I linked to earlier its an NCT fail to have anything on the windscreen within the area that the wiper blades cover

3. VISIBILITY

3.1: Field of vision

Visual inspection from driving seat.

(a) Obstruction, objects or stickers within driver’s field of view that materially affects drivers view in front or to the sides (outside cleaning area of windscreen wipers).

(b) Obstruction, objects or stickers within driver’s field of view that materially affects drivers view in front or to the sides inside the cleaning area of windscreen wipers affected or outer mirrors not visible.

If its blocking part of the window its interfering with your vision.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

They would have to materially affect the driver's view. Materially affect is not strictly defined but it would need to be significantly more intrusive than blocking some part of the window.

https://www.lawinsider.com/dictionary/materially-affected

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

and it must be confusing to the average motorist who encounters such a car.

Why?

What difference does it make? Do you drive differently depending on whether the car in front of you has a plate up?

If I see an L plate I'll hold back a bit. In case they stall, roll back etc. If they cut out at a roundabout I'll wait a few seconds until they get going again.

If I see no plates and am on a steep hill, I'll hold back a bit in case the car stalls or rolls back slightly. If the car cuts out at a roundabout I'll wait a few seconds until they get going again.

All drivers can often be in the wrong lane, take a late turn. Mistakes happen, every single day. If everyone just had a little more patience then no driver should be confused by encountering any car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'm beginning to think it's because they want to be 100% sure that the abuse they are planning to give to a leaner/novice won't be misdirected towards a more experienced fully licensed driver who'd be more inclined to do something about it.

Nope. From my earlier post:

'Some people seem to be under the mistaken impression that there's something illegal about having both L and N displayed. It isn't an offence here to drive with a plate that doesn't apply to the driver. Offences occur when the correct plate for the driver is not displayed, so I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving all of them on to avoid costly mistakes when multiple drivers are using it.'

Please link to the relevant rules/laws you're saying people are not complying with?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Boards is great. Posters bang on about non abidance of rules yet don't read the rule there claiming to disregard. As Buffmam says, failure to not display the correct one is an issue. Having 2 is not.

But use Boards as their soapbox to try get somebody bang to rights when they have not done anything wrong 🙄

• Advertisement
Advertisement