Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapland trip with Sunway

Options
  • 26-10-2023 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has done the Lapland Santa visit thing with Sunway?

And if so, any advice on what sort of thermals/other clothes to actually bring, to go with whatever you're supplied with there?

And any advice on where to actually buy such things? I'd be afraid of just clicking online somewhere to buy "thermal leggings" or "baselayer top", and only finding out when it arrived that it's not very effective at all.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

It's actually states on their website what you need.

Damart or M&S for thermals.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was there around the end of November last year and the cold wasn't that bad. A heavy coat, hat, scarf and gloves were fine. I brought my snow boots that I had from when I lived in Canada but a good pair of waterproof shoes/boots would have done you around town. All the activity providers in Rovaniemi offer rental of snow suits and snow boots if you're going out into the countryside around Rovaniemi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Thanks, but what it says is fairly general: "You will need to pack a selection of warm clothing to layer underneath including thermal underwear and warm tights."

I'm just wondering if "thermal underwear", for example, means the likes of long johns as well as thermal vests, or if a couple of layers on the lower part of the body (e.g. pyjama trousers under a tracksuit pants under the snowsuit itself) might be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

We are also going with Sunway this year. I asked our travel agent what we need and this is what she said:

"We include an all in one thermal snowsuit, thermal socks and boots. We do advise to bring hats, scarves/snug and ski gloves, warm snug clothing under neath like hoodies, tracksuit bottoms for the kids and of course a santa jumper/outfit for the festive dinner on the last night."

Lidl had their ski event on Thursday, they might still have some bits left. Aldi have their ski event tomorrow.

Just saw your post now, but thanks. We were in both Aldi and Lidl over the past few days all right, and are confident now that we have all we'll need.

As it happens, looks like early December won't be excessively cold anyway. According to the 30-day weather forecast I'm looking at right now, the dates we'll be there are "only" around -3 to -4 degrees in daytime, and dropping to "only" about -10 to -12 at night.

Not too bad, when I see that daytime temperatures are as low as -16 this week!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Everywhere inside is really hot so bear that in mind. Also, the cold in Finland is a dry cold, unlike Ireland's damp which gets into your bones. We found a lot of the time, good jacket, hat and gloves were fine.

We were there last week - Monday 4th to Thursday 7th. Had an absolutely brilliant time. Am guessing you're maybe travelling home today? Am sure you enjoyed it too anyway.

Obviously don't know about you, but we ended up bringing up far too much stuff by way of thermals and "ordinary" clothes to wear as different layers. For anyone who may be reading this in future, in advance of their own trip, here's my advice:

• One pair of thermal leggings should do you for the few days. Bring a second as a spare if you want. Wear a sort of fleecy tracksuit pants over them.
    • Two long-sleeved thermal tops will get you out. Wear a fleecy hoodie-type top over them. Just one hoodie top will be fine for a few days, since you'll be wearing the snowsuit they give you over it anyway.
    • Bring thick socks, and wear them under the ones you're given there.
    • Bring your own gloves. A pair of "ski gloves" I bought in Aldi or Lidl for about €12 were fine. The "gloves" they give you there are really just a large pair of mittens, so it's handy to still have the use of your fingers if you bring your own gloves!

Yeah we travelled back yesterday. We had a great time. The schedule was a bit gruelling at times, but on the flipside without the schedule it would've been too easy to say ah we're too tired, so we'll skip X, Y or Z.

I agree with the above regarding clothing although the temperatures were -13 to -15 when we were there. They were then expecting -23 to -27, so I'd say extra layers would be needed in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Also just back from a few days in Finland. Rovaniemi was not that cold really, I think -15 was the lowest I saw. Agree with previous poster on what to wear, long johns / thermals and then layers of fleeces etc. 2 pairs of socks essential, I bought a 3 euro snood from Amazon and it was a great investment, well worth bringing one of them. We did a DIY trip and hired the ski trousers, jackets, gloves and boots there for about 20 euro a day, all brand new kit too. 20KG Ryanair limit kinda forced that on us.

At night it was possible to venture out for something to eat in a normal jacket and jeans etc, it was bearable for 15 mins or so to walk to pubs / restaurants there.

In Rovaniemi there was no wind, so there was no element of wind chill to deal with. We went to Helsinki after for a few days, it was -9 with wind and was absolutely baltic and unbearable at times.

• Advertisement

Yeah, we had temperatures of roughly -10 to -15 as well. An extra layer would probably be required all right if they dropped much below that.

Good point re. how it can be a bit gruelling! Everybody tells you how it's such a great trip, but nobody tells you how it can be exhausting at times. We found the first day to be particularly challenging - from getting up at 3 a.m. to head for the airport, to trying on snowsuits and other gear some 12 hours later, that feel totally foreign to you at that stage. Also trying to get some sense of direction as you head into town and the hotel for the first time. But it's amazing how quickly you get used to it all and learn your way around.

Anyway....would I do it again? Last night, I started googling ways of doing a DIY trip to Rovaniemi next year. There's your answer....!

We were absolutely shattered and napped on the 2 (short) instances when there was a break in the schedule. One of my kids wasn't feeling well on the second evening, it was from pure exhaustion, had a really bad headache etc, so the 2 of us stayed at the hotel while the other 2 went to Santa Park for the dinner and show.

We had a great time, but I reckon it'll be a "One and Done" experience for us. We would like to visit Helsinki though. If you go back, would you consider the overnight train from Helsinki to Rov? I'd say that's a pretty cool experience.

Being honest, my Google searches on Rovaniemi were really just a flight of fancy. Either way, highly unlikely it would be next year - we forsook a summer holiday this year in order to put the money towards Lapland instead, but we've already booked a summer holiday for '24. So unless we have a real windfall from somewhere, even a cheaper DIY trip back to Lapland is probably out of the question.

But to answer your question about the train - I'd definitely consider it myself, but chances are my wife wouldn't go for it, so there's your answer on that one!

Post edited by Uncle Pierre on

We didn't have a summer holiday either this year either, so we could go to Lapland.

Like your wife, I'd be anxious on an overnight train, but I'd love to think that I could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

We did diy to Rovaniemi last year. 5 nights. Flights were 700, Airbnb 700, car hire 400. We went in February at mid term. The Days are longer then. We wouldn’t be able for the intensive package schedule. Had a brilliant time. Was hoping to go again this winter but it’s not working out.

I wouldn’t be bothered doing the train. But we need to keep things simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Considering this next year DIY with Ryanair (provided the route continues). Me and my partner are big fans of the christmas markets and usually do a few days trip each December to somewhere in Europe

Would it be worth it considering we have no kids or would it be geared more at that demographic? I know there are other things to do outside the Santa village (igloo stay, northern lights, dog sledding etc). I'm sure it would be much more expensive than our usual jaunts to Germany et al for the markets but feels like something different and unique and likely somewhere we won't necessarily see again.

Ryanair currently have prices up for Dublin-Rovaniemi next November/December, so looks like they intend to continue the route all right, but be warned that it gets very expensive very quickly after about the middle of November (and apparently you're not guaranteed snow before that).

For example, flying out on December 2 would be €300 p.p. Flying back December 5 would be €178, and flying back December 7 would be €341. Those prices are just the basic for travelling with one small bag, so add on extra for 'proper' luggage.

We were in Levi ourselves rather than Rovaniemi, so can't offer advice as to how suitable it would be there for a couples' trip rather than a family trip, but the flight price alone might make a big difference to you. Am sure you'd be able to travel to Germany (or similar) for a lot less.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Myself and my missus were there last year. We had no kids when we visited. We went around mid November. We've been to a good few of the markets around Europe but Rovaniemi town centre itself didn't seem to have anything like you'd see in the likes of Germany. I thought Santa's village was a bit flat but I think that was more to do with it being mid November than anything else. Things just weren't in full swing. We paid €335 for 3 nights in the Scandic hotel which I thought was reasonable enough. Plenty of other things to do like Northern Lighs tours, dog sledding etc. These things don't come cheap though! Had a great time.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I've been to Lapland in Jan & Feb. No kids and no interest in Santa.

There was skiing and plenty of drinking, lots of sauna and cold dips. Personally, I loved it, but I spent a lot of time in Finland.

Would not recommend for Xmas markets though. You could try Tallinn, and maybe include a trip to Helsinki (2 hrs on ferry)

Good to know, thanks! I expected as much there wouldn't be much of the Christmas markets we'd see elsewhere so that's okay, it's more for the general festive feel so good to know there's plenty activities to be keeping us busy.

We did Tallinn and Riga in 2021. Unfortunately Riga markets were completely cancelled and Tallinn was significantly paired back due to omicron but we still had a great time. I'd go back though, Tallinn was lovely, very cold but we acclimatised quick enough.

• Advertisement

That's not a bad price at all for the accomodation. With regards to activities, I definitely wouldn't expect them to come cheap, but I'd book with this in mind.

We just had some major home renovations in November so we opted for Cluj Napoca in Romania this year as the flights and accommodation were very affordable. Much lower key than the German markets and more food and drink focused but much smaller crowds so more comfortable to navigate. Spending money stretches a lot further there and we were pleasantly surprised at how active the city was and we had no problem filling the days.

Advertisement